Dora Wings 1/48 Vega Gull

OK, it's update time!

Still to do: prop, underside engine panel (more on that later) and windows (more on that later, too.)

The tailwheel went on. It looks like this (excuse blurry photo):

TC0vrjx.jpg

That bit sticking out at top right is a locator pin, but there's no hole for it to go in. I cut the pin off and it fits fine; I'm pretty sure I didn't fill the hole in by accident but can't rule it out.

This hole on the other hand:

KAhGaG2.jpg

Just behind the cockpit. I'd been keeping that one clear because I thought it's where an aerial would go, but as it turns out, no. Not in this version, anyway; presumably it's for the Proctor. So that got filled in.

So here we are at the moment.

DxscsC5.jpg

ykvO6DY.jpg

DnXFH1P.jpg

Now. Two things. One is that engine plate at the bottom. The kit bit I'm supposed to use looks like this:

1zMT8IT.jpg

The pipe sort of comes along a slot and then angles down. That looks right for some of the planes I've seen online. But, on the other hand, the colouring diagram in the instructions looks like this:

jtdxa5Y.jpg

KQri2eu.jpg

- with individual pipes sticking more or less straight down. I'd tend to go with the part over the diagram but then I went and found this pic on the internet. I won't post it here for copyright reasons but you can see it here:

https://www.agefotostock.com/age/en/Stock-Images/Rights-Managed/MEV-10993394

Now, that's the actual plane and hey, look at that, it looks like the diagram is right and the part is wrong. Ho hum. I haven't yet decided whether to try and make a new part or just use what I've got but it's sort of worrying at my brain now...

The other thing: windows/doors. I said earlier I was thinking of leaving them open. Now, this is a bit odd, but for some reason I had in my head that they opened upwards, like gull-wing doors - maybe because of the Gull in the name? I don't know. But a couple of days ago I was flicking through the cable here and came across a movie called 'The McKenzie Break'.  Frankly it wasn't very good but at the end a British officer goes looking for some escaped Nazis and he does it in what I assume is a Percival Proctor which as we all know is nearly identical to the Vega Gull. Awesome, I thought. But eventually he landed and he got out.

Y6SN20N.jpg

They don't open upwards at all. They open from the front like most car doors.

Dammit.

This wouldn't matter s much except the cockpit parts have a fairly thick ridge at the top that the doors fit onto;

XHmEDNC.jpg

- which doesn't exist on the real plane and would be a complete pain to remove at this stage. So I think I'm going to have the doors shut. Top tip: if you want the doors open, get rid of that ridge before assembly!

And that's where I am now - basically deciding whether to finish up or make life harder for myself. Decisions decisions.

• Like 4

On 4/12/2019 at 4:54 PM, Unkempt said:

Does anyone know any better about interior colours?

Just found this project and I am enjoying it. Your grey / blue combo looks good and is fine in the absence of any specific evidence on the airframe you are modelling, but bear in mind you could order any interior colour or materials within reason that you wanted. These aircraft were not mass produced for stock, they were hand made to a individual customer's order.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finishing up, better late than never...

I did fix up the exhaust; I filled in one of the provided bits, drilled holes in it then used some thin wire for the 'pipes'

bsRv8YE.jpg

TrwHkqS.jpg

Last thing was the prop; neither of the provided ones look much like the reference pic here

https://www.agefotostock.com/age/en/Stock-Images/Rights-Managed/MEV-10993393

... so I found a spare (I think from a Testor's Laird Solution) and a backplate from I don't know what and made this:

PvANMGT.jpg

which doesn't look too bad. That pic does show flaws in the aerosol paintjob, though.

So, anyway, here we are:

510EcDf.jpg

kQ0hh6B.jpg

omZ0UnH.jpg

... and that's it. Overall I really liked the kit with just a few minor complaints, although the biggest one is that none of the decent paint manufacturers make the right colour which is no fault of Dora Wings. I think I'll be getting more of their kits.

• Like 8

• 2 years later...