Any unslatted Greek or Turkish F-4Es?

ReccePhreak

My friend wants to build both a Greek and a Turkish F-4E Phantom II, but we can only find pics of slatted birds. Did either of those AIr Forces fly unslatted F-4Es?

If so, can anybody point us to some photos of said birds?

Larry

11 minutes ago, ReccePhreak said:

My friend wants to build both a Greek and a Turkish F-4E Phantom II, but we can only find pics of slatted birds. Did either of those AIr Forces fly unslatted F-4Es?

If so, can anybody point us to some photos of said birds?

Larry

All HAF and THK F-4Es have/had L/E slats from delivery...

-Daz

Edited by Dazza
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dazza said:

All HAF and THK F-4Es have/had L/E slats from delivery...

-Daz

I found one picture of a TISEO equipped HAF jet, and it did not have slats.

Larry

1 hour ago, Dazza said:

Unless someone can post a pic of either a HAF or THK F-4E with the hard wing, I'm still saying no, none exist, all had/have the slatted wing...

-Daz

Sorry, those photos should be of RF-4E, not F-4E.

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

On 4/12/2019 at 5:16 PM, ReccePhreak said:

I found one picture of a TISEO equipped HAF jet, and it did not have slats.

Larry

If it had TISEO, it also had slats. TISEO and L/E slats were both introduced at Block 48 (71-0237 onwards) on the production line, earlier FY F-4Es were retrofitted with L/E slats but not TISEO...

-Daz

Edited by Dazza

54 minutes ago, Dazza said:

If it had TISEO, it also had slats. TISEO and L/E slats were both introduced at Block 48 (71-0237 onwards) on the production line, earlier FY F-4Es were retrofitted with L/E slats but not TISEO...

-Daz

Thanks for that info. It's the only photo I have of a TISEO equipped Greek F-4E, and I couldn't see any slat actuators under the wings.

I think my friend will have to buy/trade for another F-4F or slatted F-4E kit, so he can build the jets he wants to do.

Larry

3 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Thanks for that info. It's the only photo I have of a TISEO equipped Greek F-4E, and I couldn't see any slat actuators under the wings.

I think my friend will have to buy/trade for another F-4F or slatted F-4E kit, so he can build the jets he wants to do.

Larry

👍

I only have one photo of a TISEO equipped HAF F-4E too (71751), possibly the only one they had?

-Daz

I think they just got a small batch (Peace Icarus II) of them. There's a pic of another one here in this thread (71744) https://www.modelclub.gr/forums/index.php?topic=23358.0

71750: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Greece---Air/McDonnell-Douglas-F-4E/2117878/L?sid=dc4bb9741a4ebf24ac4406f55e1208af

71748: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Greece---Air/McDonnell-Douglas-F-4E/2117878/L?sid=dc4bb9741a4ebf24ac4406f55e1208af

And here's 71754

normal-77-1754-1-HAF-Klaver.jpg

Edited by Creepy Pete
  • Thanks 1

The only Greek or Turkish hard wing Phantoms I'm aware of were their RF-4E fleets and they were a mixed bag with some having hard wings and others having slats.

As both countries got many of their reece Phantoms from Germany, it would depend on if the Germans upgraded specific aircraft before handing them over. A look at German RF-4Es shows a mix of slatted and hard winged machines depending on era. The Germans started taking the Phantom in the late 1960s, so the early RF-4Es were certainly hard wing.  However, the Germans started upgrading their reece Phantoms in the late 1970s to include tactical strike abilities, so perhaps that's where slatted wings found their way into the mix.

Edited by upnorth

28 minutes ago, upnorth said:

The only Greek or Turkish hard wing Phantoms I'm aware of were their RF-4E fleets and they were a mixed bag with some having hard wings and others having slats.

As both countries got many of their reece Phantoms from Germany, it would depend on if the Germans upgraded specific aircraft before handing them over. A look at German RF-4Es shows a mix of slatted and hard winged machines depending on era. The Germans started taking the Phantom in the late 1960s, so the early RF-4Es were certainly hard wing.  However, the Germans started upgrading their reece Phantoms in the late 1970s to include tactical strike abilities, so perhaps that's where slatted wings found their way into the mix.

No, simply no!
Luftwaffe did not upgrade their RF-4Es with slatted wings, nor did any other RF-4 operator.

Jens

12 hours ago, Dazza said:

👍

I only have one photo of a TISEO equipped HAF F-4E too (71751), possibly the only one they had?

-Daz

The HAF had 18 F-4E’s with TISEO. All were block 65 and 66, s/n’s 77-1743 to 1760, tail numbers 71743 to 71760. The Eagle Aviation books are terrific.

• Thanks 1

The HAF purchased 36 (Peace Icarus I) and 18 (Peace Icarus II) F-4E all slatted.

The Peace Icarus II Project included 8 slatted RF-4E and all the F-4E of the project were equipped with TISEO system.

All the 27 ex Luftwaffe RF-4E had the hard wing. 

From the reply I got on ARC Forums when I asked about slatted RF-4E in service:

The slatted RF-4E is indeed a rare beast there were only 16 made, 8 for each Air Force. The Turkish jets are serial numbers 77-0309 to 77-0316 and the Greek ones 77-0357, 77-0358 and 77-1761 to 77-1766. Incidentally the Turkish Phantom lost over Syria in 2012 was one of these (77-0314) making it probably the last Phantom to be lost in a combat zone. Here's an interesting picture file of the TuAF RF-4Es http://www.ole-nikolajsen.com/TURKISH FORCES 2004/RF-4E fotos.pdf and a photo of 77-0313 with slats in the two tone grey scheme: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7918976. Probably most of the ones you saw visiting Deci' from both countries were the ex-Luftwaffe jets acquired in the mid 1990s!

Username is Wild Weasel V (Jonathan ) I don't know if he posts here or not

Luigi

hi,

all Turkish F-4Es have slatted wings and slotted elevators, period…

All RF-4E with slatted wings have rounded camera windows/nose, also  nose, fuselage and tail strip lights and all ex-german RF-4Es have angled camera nose ,non-slatted wings , non- slotted elevators and nose and fuselage strip lights ...

3 hours ago, Silverkite said:

From the reply I got on ARC Forums when I asked about slatted RF-4E in service:

The slatted RF-4E is indeed a rare beast there were only 16 made, 8 for each Air Force. The Turkish jets are serial numbers 77-0309 to 77-0316 and the Greek ones 77-0357, 77-0358 and 77-1761 to 77-1766. Incidentally the Turkish Phantom lost over Syria in 2012 was one of these (77-0314) making it probably the last Phantom to be lost in a combat zone. Here's an interesting picture file of the TuAF RF-4Es http://www.ole-nikolajsen.com/TURKISH FORCES 2004/RF-4E fotos.pdf and a photo of 77-0313 with slats in the two tone grey scheme: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7918976. Probably most of the ones you saw visiting Deci' from both countries were the ex-Luftwaffe jets acquired in the mid 1990s!

Username is Wild Weasel V (Jonathan ) I don't know if he posts here or not

Luigi

Hi Luigi,

Thanks for those links and for that info.

I was wanting to do a 1/32 model of the Turkish RF-4ETM in 1/32 scale. I got a set of slatted wings from another trader, and I was planning on using the Techmod decal sheet 32050A, as well as an IsraCast 1/32 Ophir reconnaissance pod. Since the jet had a refaired nose, I probably won't be able to do it, as that type of major structural conversion is above my abilities. :wall:

Too bad nobody does/did a refaired RF-4 conversion in 1/32 scale. 😞

Oh well, at least I can do it in 1/48 scale.

Larry Engesath

Phormer Photo Phantom Phixer

19 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

I was wanting to do a 1/32 model of the Turkish RF-4ETM in 1/32 scale. I got a set of slatted wings from another trader, and I was planning on using the Techmod decal sheet 32050A,...

RF-4ETM upgrade, have applied both versions, so you can build an Ex-german ( revell rf-4c kit is a great start) RF-4E as an ETM with non slatted wings and angled nose… actual AC at techmod decals which has shot downed by syrians is one of the two LOROP pod eqquiped RF-4ETMs converted from late model slatted winged one, bu the other one is ex-german and has exactly the same markings except tail number.

3 hours ago, A.C.Acikgoz said:

RF-4ETM upgrade, have applied both versions, so you can build an Ex-german ( revell rf-4c kit is a great start) RF-4E as an ETM with non slatted wings and angled nose… actual AC at techmod decals which has shot downed by syrians is one of the two LOROP pod eqquiped RF-4ETMs converted from late model slatted winged one, bu the other one is ex-german and has exactly the same markings except tail number.

That's GREAT news! I was almost getting ready to sell my 1/32 Turkish RF-4ETM decals, as well as the Isracast Ophir LOROP pod.

Is this the type pod they used?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/isracast-32031-ophir-reconnaissance-pod--248024

If not, I can still make a Turkish RF-4E, using one of my Revell 1/32 RF-4C kits.

Larry