Eduard 1/72nd MiG-21MF Interceptor (ProfiPack Edition)

Hi all, here's one I finished a few months ago that was published in last months issue of Airfix Model World. I didn't need much persuading to get back into one of my favourite aviation related modelling subjects, namely Cold War Soviet-era jets. This is Eduard's superb 1/72nd ProfiPack Edition of their MiG-21MF Fishbed J finished as a Polish Air Force machine, based at Mierzecice circa 1990. It's an excellent little kit, superbly moulded with crisp surface detail and high-quality Cartograf decals (including an impressively large sheet of stencils). It suffered a few anomalies though, such as a couple of panel lines that just seem to end suddenly, deformed RS-2US 'Iron Pig' missile centre bodies and a somewhat hybrid nose shape (somewhere between an MF and a bis) but these were easily dealt with. The editor wanted the kit built as OOB as possible although a couple of aftermarket parts I had in the stash, did manage to creep in. These were Armory's ARAW72049 resin wheels, which were certainly an improvement over the simple and treadless kit parts and Mini World's A7267A metal pitots (long PVD-7 and the smaller back-up probe) to replace the kit's somewhat chunky and accident-prone parts. Both were beautifully detailed with the PVD-7 having extremely thin blades which saved time trying to fit the tiny individual Eduard PE items. Talking of which Eduards own pre-painted PE set for the cockpit and seat parts speeded things up greatly. A few scratch built parts were also added in the form of replacement canopy supporting strut and additional lead wire main-gear hydraulic lines.

The model was finished as usual using a mix of MRP lacquer paints and AK Interactive Xtreme Metals metallics with the limited weathering applied using heavily thinned Abteilung502 and Wilder oil paints, AMMO MIG pastel powders and ground graphite powder.

All in all, a relatively simple, quick build, (five days) that was a lot of fun made easier by the excellent fit of the kit parts and some invaluable help from my good friend and MiG expert extraordinaire Gabor Szekers (Ya-Gabor).

After finishing this one I'm now looking forward to getting hold of Modelsvit's F-13 variant...

Cheers, thanks for looking and hope you like it...:cheers:

Melchie

1-DSC-3016.jpg

1-DSC-3024.jpg

3-DSC-3020.jpg

1-DSC-3021.jpg

5-DSC-3025.jpg

1-DSC-3017-001.jpg

1-DSC-3019.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 66
  • Thanks 5

Thanks chaps, appreciated as always. 

I enjoyed the article in AMW as well.

Cheers Latinbear, hope it was of some use to you.

I share your anticipation for the Modelsvit MiG-21F13 and look forward to seeing what you do with it

Thanks Vultures, hopefully, I'll be getting hold of one quite soon, always liked the lines of the 'pure form' MiG-21, beautiful aircraft. Modelsvit has come a long way over the past few years, should be good.

Thanks guys, glad you like it. 

Looks like Eduard has the perfect surfaces downscaled from their 1:48 scale kit .

Agreed Bernd, overall the panel and rivet detail is excellent given the scale, Eduard has done an excellent job on bringing this to the smaller scale. Regarding all this detail, personally, I'm not a fan of panel line washes and never apply them relying more on 'modulating' the individual panel tones for a better scale effect, This can be done by applying slightly lighter mixes of the base colours on upper surfaces and darker ones beneath which adds a sense of depth. This can also be achieved with metallics if you're careful with your mixing (I only ever use MRP and AK Xtreme Metals now). In the end, it's all down to what you find works best for you.

• Like 2

If only Eduard would build a MIG-21U/US/UM. I made an error in picking up the KP issue which is woeful compared to this beast. I know trainers may not be so brutish and sleek but they are part of the history of how pilots get on to these single-seaters. My KPs will never see the light of day, I think.

Martin

• Like 2