Air China Airbus A350 in 1/144 - Oriental Horticulture!

I present the Revell A350 in the cheerful “Expo 2019” livery carried by Air China’s B-1083 to promote the International Horticultural Exhibition in Beijing.

I know that opinion is divided about the A350’s looks but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and personally I like its odd, quirky appearance. The superb Revell kit really does it justice.

The kit was a straightforward and enjoyable build. Apart from a BraZ satcom fairing and a few small details the model is OOB. I was particularly taken with the engines and undercarriage which are both masterpieces of miniature plastic engineering. Although it looks complicated the undercarriage is actually easy to assemble, much easier than the Revell A330/340, but it’s essential to follow the instructions carefully and, in particular, put the brake discs on the right way round. (Don’t ask…)

White paint is Halfords and the standard Airbus Grey on the engines is Holts HL Grey 01. Metallics are by Tamiya and Revell. I’ve never seen an authoritative match for Airbus Matterhorn White and after a bit of experimentation I used Mr Color 107 Character White for the wings, tailplanes and pylons. It looked OK indoors but when I took the model outside for the photographs it obviously isn’t grey enough so the search for the perfect Matterhorn White will have to continue.

Livery decals are by TwoSix with Authentic Airliners windows. Ray has done a fantastic job with the decals which virtually fell into place on the model apart from a tiny bit of trimming round the number 2 doors. The only minor issue is that the winglet logos are a fraction too big (particularly noticeable on the inner faces) but nothing I can’t live with.

Thanks for looking and thanks also to @Duncan B who supplied the kit.

As always constructive criticism is welcome.

Dave G

33714720658_741802ddc5_b.jpg

46676162045_15010fc148_b.jpg

40625788263_e0a3b829ce_b.jpg

46676161315_5736073e75_b.jpg

One problem with the design of the kit is that you must install the nose wheel leg at an early stage, there is no way round it. Here's a tip to protect it using an expanded foam "bead" cut in half. The idea isn't mine - I pinched it from somebody on here, possibly Turbofan. Obviously it won't protect against dropping the model on the floor but it should save the leg from routine knocks.

46676165965_d57d86694b_m.jpg46867712224_6f56a2c22c_m.jpg46867711974_b104900b8c_m.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely wonderful model again. That's the first decal sheet I bought from Ray 26models at Telford last year. Great scheme and it would be great if there was a matching decal sheet  for a 737 wearing the same colours.

Did you use AA flight deck windows too?

Thanks for the packing bead idea, mine suffered the very same fate. 

Love it, thanks for sharing your great work Dave.  

Jeff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Did you use AA flight deck windows too?

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Yes the flight deck windows are by AA and they are stunning even by Werner's standards. You get a choice of three designs and I went for the one with the "sheen" on the front panels.

Wow, you've really excelled yourself with this one Dave. She is a real stunner. I actually like the A350, and find it a very attractive aircraft.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Well done, Dave. It's nice to see another Chinese airliner built in the forum. The special livery looks colourful on an A350. 

In fact, China has also hosted an International Horticultural Exhibition 20 years ago in the City of Kunming. Even more surprising, China Yunnan Airlines back then painted back one of their Boeing 767 to promote the event. You can find its model built posted by me through this link: 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235045214-1144-zvezda-boeing-767-300/&tab=comments#comment-3168823

Cheers,

Chris 

• Like 2

That’s a really cracking model you’ve made and it’s nice to see that Revell have supplied the correct engines.

Very well done! I also like your idea for masking off the nose leg. :yes:

There’s just one minor I may have spotted; it looks, from your photos, like the leading edge of each fan blade is a different colour to the rest of the blade, similar to the GenEx engine with its composite fan, but on the R-R XWB (as used by Air China) each fan blade is all metal and thus one colour. 

Bill.

• Like 1

Thanks for your generous comments everyone. They're much appreciated and make it all worthwhile :D

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I must admit I find it difficult (except for the nacelles) to tell it apart from a Dreamliner! :)

Keith

The racoon eyes are a bit of a giveaway!  Also, the A350 is significantly bigger than the Dreamliner - it's not far off the 777 

2 hours ago, Bill.B said:

There’s just one minor I may have spotted; it looks, from your photos, like the leading edge of each fan blade is a different colour to the rest of the blade, similar to the GenEx engine with its composite fan, but on the R-R XWB (as used by Air China) each fan blade is all metal and thus one colour. 

Bill.

I see how you thought that Bill but it's actually a trick of the light. The fan blades are all the same colour. It's a while since I painted the fans and I've forgotten what colour I used except it was from a Tamiya rattle can, possibly TS-42. I used this excellent German walkaround as my reference "bible" and it clearly shows the fans from several angles. I admit to making the leading edge error on a Dreamliner a while ago - I was misled by the Revell instructions and put a lot of effort into lovely silver leading edges only to discover later that they were incorrect for RR engines. :wall:

Hi Dave,

That's a cracking A350, very colourful and as usual superbly presented.

No weathering this time I noticed although they're still new so I wouldn't imagine many are weathered in real life!

I've never been a fan of the A350 and I think I've worked out what I don't like about it. For me the nose gear looks too far forward, if it was just a little further back I think it would look tons better, I guess there's a reason for it to be where it is though. The nose is quite reminiscent of the Comet/Caravelle which I like.

Your idea to protect the nosewheel must've been someone else's, I've always managed to fit my nose gears after painting but I've not built an A350 yet so I guess I'll find out! I am tempted by one as I've heard nothing but good reviews of the kit. I just need it to grow on me a bit more. Maybe, as Nick mentioned, I'll build a Singapore or Cathay one as I've seen those at MAN too.

Hope you're going to get everything finished in time for the Scottish Nationals, what's next off your bench?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2

That sure is a colourful livery, really nice looking build, great job.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Cheers Michael.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Dave,

That's a cracking A350, very colourful and as usual superbly presented.

No weathering this time I noticed although they're still new so I wouldn't imagine many are weathered in real life!

Your idea to protect the nosewheel must've been someone else's, I've always managed to fit my nose gears after painting but I've not built an A350 yet so I guess I'll find out! 

Hope you're going to get everything finished in time for the Scottish Nationals, what's next off your bench?

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian.

All the pictures of B-1083 I've seen (which must be most of them!) show her looking immaculate. I did actually outline the control surfaces with a pencil as I do on most of my models but it doesn't show up very well in the photos.

I have ways of leaving the nosewheel leg off when I build an A330 or a B767 (with the Revell A320 family the leg is strong enough for it not to matter) but I couldn't find any way to avoid fitting it on the A350. I wonder who it was gave me the foam bead idea if it wan't you? :hmmm:

Most of the stuff for the Scot Nats is on track although there are the inevitable last minute hitches like the decals supplied in a certain Welsh Models kit not fitting the finished model. Unless I make a terminal mess of it there should be a propliner appearing in RFI in the next week or so and just possibly another jet but the latter is far from certain.

Dave

I have yet to be convinced with the shape and looks of the A350 but your model looks superb. The decals look great and the flight deck adds the final touch of perfection.

I can see from your covering text that enjoyed building the kit; perhaps you could knock a BA version up when they take delivery of their fleet later on this year?

Top modelling there, it is always great to see another fresh Civil build arrive up on the forum

• Like 1

Hi Greg,

Yes I have built one, many years ago, which coincidentally I have recently brought back out of storage for a bit of a refurb, mainly updating the natural metal finish on the underside of the fuselage and wings.

It's the Minicraft Boeing 377 Stratocruiser. Soon to appear here on RFI.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan