Universal Bomb Carrier on Beaufighter

rossm

I would like to model a Beaufighter in 1/72 with the bomb carrier - but no bombs - under the fuselage. I have the plans in Airfix magazine that were drawn by @Terry @ Aviaeology but they don't show clearly the mounting arrangement. I know there is a Hasegawa kit that includes bombs but the mounting is simplified to a point just short of complete fiction.

Does anyone have a clear photo or drawing I can use to make something that looks vaguely right please?

Another slight problem is that the Aviaeology sheet for the Beaufighter does not include the aircraft I want to build - LZ295 'Z'. Does anyone know a source of Beaufighter size red with yellow outline code letters? If not it gets added to the list of decals I need to print myself one day/year/decade (delete as appropriate).

TIA,

Ross

I have found this:

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.218340761.1279778

I've been through all my Beaufighter refs but there doesn't seem to be much out there for pictures and drawings of this bomb rack.

Chris

Is it just me or do the Mk.III UBC’s under the Beau look similar, if not the same, to the Mk.III bomb carrier used under the fuselage of some marks (Mk.V comes to mind) of the Spitfire?

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Methinks a Mk.III bomb carrier is the same whatever aircraft it is on.  Just not always visible.

The clue is in its name  "Universal bomb carrier!"

Selwyn

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, WhitleyZ6743 said:

Looks like they could be but what I can't make out is how they attach to the aircraft. It looks to me like they go on some sort of intermediate frame but trhe photos I've found aren't really clear enough to tell exactly.

Before splashing out on aftermarket, check out the bomb carriers provided in the Airfix Blenheim and Swordfish kits and the new Revell Halifax.  Of those, you'll probably need the Swordfish ones to fit out your aircraft but for the Blenheim and Halifax they will be spare if you build with the bombdoors closed.  DISCLAIMER: I haven't actually checked whether the parts are the right size or Mark: I just recall parts of roughly the right shape in those kits.