RAF Colours - Vallejo Equivalents

Smithy

On 4/14/2019 at 2:38 PM, Smithy said:

Sorry for the late reply but I only just got back from a weekend up in the mountains where there's not even a hint of mobile/internet coverage.

A very big thank you to all who have given advice, suggestions and opinions in this thread. When I started thinking about having a go with Vallejo I was completely bamboozled with what I should get but you all have helped enormously.

And thanks Troy for the photos with the colour chips, 921 is on the list!

I'm putting an order in this week with my hobby shop and I must say I'm really excited about trying these out. At the least I won't have to suffer the complaints from the family about stinking the house out with enamels and thinner!

Thanks once again for the help chaps it's hugely appreciated.

Tim

Hey Tim 

Just remember Vallejo is a pure water based acrylic paint. You need to use there thinner or distilled water. What ever you do dont use ISP, or lacquer based thinners like tamiya, or you will end up with a gooey mess (ask me how I know). You can use ISP for cleaning, but soap and water will usually work just fine.

Ron G 

1 minute ago, Crankycraftsman said:

Hey Tim 

Just remember Vallejo is a pure water based acrylic paint. You need to use there thinner or distilled water. What ever you do dont use ISP, or lacquer based thinners like tamiya, or you will end up with a gooey mess (ask me how I know). You can use ISP for cleaning, but soap and water will usually work just fine.

Ron G 

Hi Ron,

And thank you for the tips. In the end I didn't shift over to Vallejo. I had so much Humbrol enamel paint that I decided to just use that. Part of me is still intrigued by Vallejo but I'll have to use up my enamel stocks first and that may take some time!

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

I too have found this thread very helpful having changed from using Humbrol paints to Vallejo acrylic paints even though their numbering system has driven me bananas. Just one question. What Vallejo paint would you recommend for Dark Sea Grey? I have read carefully through the thread which covers Ocean Grey, Medium Sea Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey respectively identified as 836, 870 and 867. Dark Sea Grey is missing. Help please.

Of the colours mentioned I cannot find 870 (Medium Sea Grey) in Vallejo’s list. Any thoughts?

8 minutes ago, skyskooter said:

Of the colours mentioned I cannot find 870 (Medium Sea Grey) in Vallejo’s list. Any thoughts?

VAL870.jpg

Hmm, the use of an FS number is not inspiring,  but  I just acquired a old (1989)  FS 595 deck so can check when  light against the RAF Museum chip

12 minutes ago, skyskooter said:

What Vallejo paint would you recommend for Dark Sea Grey? I

71.051 Neutral Gray, but I again, need to check the brushout in daylight

VAL051.jpg

Thank you for your responses. The trouble is I cannot find Model Colour 870 Medium Sea Grey on E Models website which is supposed to list all the Vallejo colours. I have been through their lists several times and 870 is not there.

FWIW, I'd check Vallejo's own site to know/verify what the current range & availability is.
Vendors can claim what they want as far as having 'the complete' range goes, more often than not they actually don't and have to backorder anyway.

Edited by alt-92

You are absolutely right. I found the missing Model Colour 870 Medium Sea Grey on Vallejo’s website. The colours are much easier to find because they categorise them into greys, blues, reds etc. Many thanks.