Hello everyone... Im looking for info concerning F8F-2P’s flying out of the Naval Air Technical Training Unit at Pensacola in 1952-53. Here is a profile of the plane. 

9IqDwQd.png

rM5maaw.jpg

Here is the photo of the real plane. 

lQwSvNv.jpg

The plane marked P-17 is the actual plane I'm going to build. It is bureau # 121714. If that seams remotely familiar thats because it still flies in the U.K. Its at the Imperial war Museum as far as i can tell unless its moved ? 

HRk4ik5.jpg

I have been gifted the old Monogram Bearcat in 1/72nd. My goal is to build the plane marked P-17. I lnow i need to make a few mods to the kit. My question is this, does anyone have a clear view of the Bearcat’s belly camera ? I have good photo’s of the port side camera. Im also looking for good photo’s of the Trimetrogon camera in the belly pod. @Tailspin Turtle had some brief info in his blog on the -2P Bearcats.

http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2017/09/f8f-2p-propeller-hub.html?m=1

If you read this Tailspin i would greatly appreciate any info you have on these cameras and camera pods. Many thanks in advance for all that offer help in any way.   

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Sorry - that's all I've got on that pod. I lightened the picture of the it, which revealed a port on its left side. I'll add that to the blog post along with an illustration of a trimetrogon installation in a B-17. The pictures of the pod on F8Fs in flight aren't high enough resolution to reveal any details on it but my guess is that there was a port on the right side and one on the bottom.

• Thanks 1

While studying the photo of the recon pod. I think the camera arrangement is this possible way. Heres the pod, 

Ghyp6qU.jpg

Im thinking the forward camera faces Starboard. The middle faces port, and the last is the vertical to stitch the other two series of pictures together Or its S/Board, Vertical, & port. Now i wonder does anyone make a 100 gallon tank ? The pod looks as if its based on the 100 gallon tank, not the larger centerline 150 gallon. 

Dennis

For what it’s worth, it doesn’t have the flange of the fuel tanks: https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2016/09/things-under-wings-post-war-external.html

Here’s is the original blog post that we’ve been referring to: http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2017/09/f8f-2p-propeller-hub.html

Note that the aft end of the pod does not taper as much as the fuel tank, indicative of the need for the depth of the third camera position.

With respect to the camera location, I’d guess starboard, vertical, port from front to back.

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
Note on shape difference of the pod relative to a standard external fuel tank.
  • Thanks 1