Revell/Monogram Jaguar XK 120, 1.24th

This is my first post on Britmodeller but I've been visiting the site for some time. Although I appreciate many types of models my own thing is classic cars and this is my most recent build.

It's the old Monogram kit but built from the 90s Revell re-release. The wheels are from the parts box and the tyres from Revell's 37 ford pickup - I didn't like the kit items. The bonnet didn't fit too well, which is why I painted the car black - you don't notice the irregular shut lines so much 🤨. That's also why I built it curbside, even though there is a respectable looking engine included with the kit. I spent quite a lot of time thinning down and refining the windscreen frame to get it to look less toy-like and had all the chrome parts re-plated. The black is Tamiya from a can, the interior Tamiya acrylic.

2v2J7bTrNxAgWB5.jpg

2v2J7bTkdxAgWB5.jpg

2v2J7bTSnxAgWB5.jpg

2v2J7bTPFxAgWB5.jpg

• Like 18

That is gorgeous, and I totally agree with Spiny about your paint job - wonderful!

Just one small nitpick though - your front number plate looks like a classic pre 1973 silver on black UK plate. If that is what it's meant to be, then the rear plate is completely wrong as UK cars have never had white plates at the back, and the font is also wrong  - it should be silver on black like the front, with the same style font.

Whatever, it's still a brilliant model! 👍

Keith

• Like 1

Hi peekay,

That's a stunning build of a very old kit. You can only appreciate the lines of the car with the bonnet closed so being curbside is a positive. The '90s re-issue was all plastic i think. I have the original Monogram issue with an all metal body and I think the fit is a bit better but if I manage to make it look this good I'll be well pleased.

Lovely work.

Dave

10 hours ago, Spiny said:

I always love a Jag, and this one is excellent. That paint in particular is stunning, even more so when you consider what a bind black usually is.

Thanks a lot Spiny.

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That is gorgeous, and I totally agree with Spiny about your paint job - wonderful!

Just one small nitpick though - your front number plate looks like a classic pre 1973 silver on black UK plate. If that is what it's meant to be, then the rear plate is completely wrong as UK cars have never had white plates at the back, and the font is also wrong  - it should be silver on black like the front, with the same style font.

Whatever, it's still a brilliant model! 👍

Keith

Damn! The plates are from a German after-market set and it didn't occur to me that they might be wrong. I can't remember, but the original Revell decals would probably have been correct. It would be a difficult thing to change too as the front plate frame is a delicate scratch-built piece and I'd have to remove the bumperettes to change it. Thanks for your input anyway.

10 hours ago, Fastcat said:

Hi peekay,

That's a stunning build of a very old kit. You can only appreciate the lines of the car with the bonnet closed so being curbside is a positive. The '90s re-issue was all plastic i think. I have the original Monogram issue with an all metal body and I think the fit is a bit better but if I manage to make it look this good I'll be well pleased.

Lovely work.

Dave

Thanks Fastcat. Yes the Revell kit is all plastic but I believe that's the only difference between the two versions.

10 hours ago, JamesP said:

That is a beautiful paint job.

Thanks, it's Tamiya, fine sanded and polished.

3 hours ago, Ian T said:

Nice!!

Thank-you

3 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Really beautiful! That black finish is very smart.

Thank-you

1 minute ago, peekay said:

as the front plate frame

Morning peekay, the front plate is fine (actually it looks excellent!) if you want it to be a British car - which it's likely to be as it's right hand drive - so you'd just need to cover the back one with a plate the same as the front. 

But as I said, it really doesn't detract from an absolutely fantastic model!

Keith

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Morning peekay, the front plate is fine (actually it looks excellent!) if you want it to be a British car - which it's likely to be as it's right hand drive - so you'd just need to cover the back one with a plate the same as the front. 

But as I said, it really doesn't detract from an absolutely fantastic model!

Keith

Yes, the back plate would be easier to replace but I'd have to order the German decals again as there is only the one silver-on-black plate per sheet.

I just might do that too and tell them about their mistake - maybe they'll give me a freeby. Thanks again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Welcome to BM!

I love what you have achieved with this kit, and I look forward to seeing more of your excellent work!

Thank you. I haven't finished anything so far this year but I'll post a few older builds.

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

A real beauty, great paint and the red upholstery looks like leather too.

I actually saw a green one of these today, what a lovely thing it was.

Thank you - the XK 120 is for me the most beautiful car ever built.

• Like 2