Blue Tailed Phantom

The re-release of the Revell FGR2 gave me a chance to dig out some old decals and have a go at making a 19 Sqn Blue Tailed Phantom, originally a Wildenrath jet, who ended her days just up the road from me at Wattisham.  This is her in her later days - XT902

6518429785_165d4aa2b2_b.jpg

And this is my attempt

qd7knZP5TIkpfRBj5fYm_qAQP4qEcNC8bysRi_bt

dGHC_8KkvAYK6Lvu7Ng8M0UOCxFLSWCOegGQfOVf

IkZqpTtcecfKe_HciFBonknz53atzDewWxWe_rWt

ulGZMVKPFxK0RlDYQ5515QZcbcFlHWsm6eO5Yntc

CBH5qetEgMmjt9Mm1SAJuaobogz5bwwd0gFE9adL

HpAFiOTCmW3N7SJaaVdQ09M-3APycTu8ZpvUWxzN

I had meant to build her as a 56 Sqn red tail, but that will have to wait until I get another one.  Thanks for looking

• Like 38

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

I'll leave my Phantom RFI for a bit so it's not shown up by yours! 😂

Know what you mean - saw @Rickoshea52 post his 23 Sqn stunner and held back for a bit.  Plus didn’t get a chance to get the HAS set up until today

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bar side said:

The re-release of the Revell FGR2 gave me a chance to dig out some old decals and have a go at making a 19 Sqn Blue Tailed Phantom, originally a Wildenrath jet, who ended her days just up the road from me at Wattisham.  This is her in her later days - XT902

And this is my attempt

I had meant to build her as a 56 Sqn red tail, but that will have to wait until I get another one.  Thanks for looking

This is a great model. It’s always nice to see models that are photographed in good light with a plain background but the realistic base you have created with added clutter (GSE & MT) sets finished models apart for me. Really well done. 

I have the remains of a 23sqn decal sheet used for my Phantom that I want to use on a Tornado like yours and also a NMF Lightning. 

Edited by Rickoshea52
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Super work, another great looking Toom. Very "clean"!!

Top marks for going for the premier squadron markings and not a "shifty fix" jet.😁

She did look pretty clean in her later Wattisham pics

1086602-large.jpg

I haven’t given her a wash to bring it the panel lines or any weathering.  Just the paint job with some preshading.  Could make her more mucky but I like the shot above & I only ever saw them at airshows when they had been given a wash.

8 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

This is a great model. It’s always nice to see models that are photographed in good light with a plain background but the realistic base you have created with added clutter (GSE & MT) sets finished models apart for me. Really well done. 

I have the remains of a 23sqn decal sheet used for my Phantom that I want to use on a Tornado like yours and also a NMF Lightning. 

Cheers.  I have been collecting my letter for some time - I always think the little bits can convince you more than the main event aircraft.   These are a few of the scene accessories for US / RAF set up

5kviKYHI7FT0u2_vKwmuRUdyPmMeuR6mFgr7GGJi

Just didn’t fancy an F3 with the special tail, so standard 23 Sqn worked nicely.  My Lightning is in camo with silver underneath, although I do fancy a nmf one.

Congratulations on this Phantastic Phantom! :thumbsup:

You have done a great job on the upper wing colour/shade - did you decide to prime in different shades and then do a single top coat? or did you opt for doing different colours?  Also, please enlighten us to  which paints you used? thanks! :goodjob: 

2 hours ago, 29Triplex said:

Congratulations on this Phantastic Phantom! :thumbsup:

You have done a great job on the upper wing colour/shade - did you decide to prime in different shades and then do a single top coat? or did you opt for doing different colours?  Also, please enlighten us to  which paints you used? thanks! :goodjob: 

Cheers. I did prime the upper wing with dark grey (Humbrol 27) then persuaded the panel lines.  The underside is Tamiya Light Aircraft Grey, then the top is Humbrol 64, with nose in Humbrol 165. I did give the upper wings a very light dust off 27 again at the end, but it barely shows.  All via rattle cans.