1/72 Hasegawa S-3A Viking VS-33 'Screwbirds' - DONE

Dermo245

Nice one Dermo,good to see another Viking being built.I was thinking of this boxing for this GB only twelve quid from King kit just not sure I want to 

risk the decal's being shot.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Nice one Dermo,good to see another Viking being built.I was thinking of this boxing for this GB only twelve quid from King kit just not sure I want to 

risk the decal's being shot.

Cheers Steve - mine was a 2nd hand as well and the decals were a bit rubbish so they've been in the window for the past week :blink: 🤞

Dermot

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 6:15 PM, Jasonb13 said:

Nice Dermot, waiting impatiently for the pics! Don't make me google it... 😁

Photos at last 😎

Box art..

47553463772_718edb3d4d_b.jpgHasegawa_1_72_S-3A Viking_box by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Contents..nice tinted canopy.

47553463052_a92e1bd9b4_b.jpgHasegawa_1_72_S-3A Viking_contents by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Instruction sheet that got stuck to a corner of the decal sheet ☹️

46690779025_3195fa99da_b.jpgHasegawa_1_72_S-3A Viking_instructions by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And nice colour profiles 

46690778655_08a64dea0c_b.jpgHasegawa_1_72_S-3A Viking_profile by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 11

On 4/15/2019 at 3:36 AM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I have a Viking hiding in the stash. Pretty sure I built one many years ago, they are a nice looking jet.

Looking forward to seeing you tackle this one. Who's decals are you using Dermot?

Superscale set I hope Ray 😉

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Like I said with Hockeyboy's build, who needs aftermarket when the kit supplied cockpit comes up so well.  Nice job Dermot. If I did not have so much cluttering my bench I would have a go at mine.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dermot, 

it may be an oldie Hasegawa, but it looks damn good to me!

And as you say, it is now looking like a Hoover, so you must be doing something right!

You did mention sticking the decals in your window, I assume to try and remove the yellow hue of the decals' surround,,,,

I have actually never tried it... just used other decals! But I am curious: have you had any success with this method before? Furthermore, if this works in Ireland, where the sun is mostly found in its liquid form, then I assume it should work anywhere in the known universe!

Keep at it, you are doing great!

JR

On 5/21/2019 at 8:33 PM, jean said:

Hi Dermot, 

it may be an oldie Hasegawa, but it looks damn good to me!

And as you say, it is now looking like a Hoover, so you must be doing something right!

You did mention sticking the decals in your window, I assume to try and remove the yellow hue of the decals' surround,,,,

I have actually never tried it... just used other decals! But I am curious: have you had any success with this method before? Furthermore, if this works in Ireland, where the sun is mostly found in its liquid form, then I assume it should work anywhere in the known universe!

Keep at it, you are doing great!

JR

Hi JR and thanks for your kind words.

On the decals-in-the-window-thing, we don't get as much sun over here (even during the Summer) as other parts of Europe so it does take me a bit longer.
But my experience is that it does work...although if the decals were a bit rubbish to begin with, then they'll still be a bit rubbish even with some sunshine on them! Here's a good thread on the subject.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
D

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more done on the Viking...fuselage masked for painting

48006871187_809fbac381_b.jpg1_72Hasegawa_S-3 Viking_WIP_5 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Gull grey could be lighter but I can live with it..

48006783461_29fa33ce64_b.jpg1_72Hasegawa_S-3 Viking_WIP_6 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Tackling the cockpit next..

48006783441_2fda536fd0_b.jpg1_72Hasegawa_S-3 Viking_WIP_7 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Some touch-ups needed here and there but happy with progress!

48006871082_b101ae1acb_b.jpg1_72Hasegawa_S-3 Viking_WIP_8 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 3

Hi Dermot. Good progress on the Viking. 

I never really gave the type much thought, but this is shaping up into a good looking plane. 

I had a go at the Hasegawa Grumman A6 from the same Hales era and it was a very enjoyable build. I even got the flaps and slats deployed and hooking up to the steam catapult. 

Making the best of these old kits is good modelling therapy for sure, and you're putting this one together in style. 

Interesting info on old decals - I shall read more, so thanks for the steer 

☘️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some more done...here's the MAD boom in place but going to glue it retracted.

48073928851_93b38426bc_b.jpg1_72Hasegawa_S-3 Viking_WIP_9 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Scruffy paint fixed up and glossed up for decals - these will be a mix of the kit plus this set for among others, VS-33.

48073928166_de10e6e9ab_b.jpg1_72Hasegawa_S-3 Viking_WIP_11 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And here we go! The keen eyed will spot a fairly obvious error but more on that again.

48073973948_3f052d4393_b.jpg1_72Hasegawa_S-3 Viking_WIP_12 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

• Like 3

Looking great. 

These kits were excellent when they came out and no need for after market parts. Good instructions, colour profiles and stencils for airframe and weapons. They really were years ahead of Airfix etc.

Colin 

• Thanks 1