Eduard Spitfire VIII Weekender - RAAF 452 Squadron, Ron Cundy

Hi,

This kit is my 1st attempt at the 1/72 Eduard Spitfire series and I decided on a Weekender to use as a training experience. There are a few upgrades to it though - The decals are from an Aussie 8 boxing which contains more markings than you can shake a stick at as well as a number of extra goodies (resin wheels) the most important being a full book on the different aircraft covered. I also used some bits from this boxing to customise the Weekender including the oil guard etch which is only present in a few airframes  including this one. I also added a Yahu instrument panel though having to cut away the slot for the gun sight was a bit messy and using a Eduard panel is a lot easier.

The scheme is also quite simple in line with the training exercise driver. In general, the kit goes together very well - I made a bit of a mistake with the wing root piece which made the wing fit more of an effort. Also the nose underside cowling required a bit of work.

The plane is a 452 Squadron airframe based in Sattler Airstrip in the Northern Territory and was flown by Desert Ace Ron Cundy. I chose this plane as I'd recently read Ron's autobiography "Gremlin on my shoulder". The plane was kept in immaculate condition so no need for much weathering. The scheme is pretty simple - Foliage Green over Sky Blue with white leading edges.

Apr-2019-Models-047.jpg

Apr-2019-Models-046.jpg

Apr-2019-Models-035.jpg

Cheers

Michael

• Like 43

Very nice.  I find the MkVIII to be the best looking of the Spitfires and this simple scheme shows off those clean lines beautifully.

AW

On 4/12/2019 at 4:04 PM, Beard said:

That's very nice. What paint did you use for the Foliage Green?

Hi Beard - Foliage Green is usually quoted in the FS34079 to FS34092 range - sounds like it did vary. The paint on this aircraft is Humbrol 149 which is meant to be FS34092. I gave it a lightened version as a post shade to simulate some paint fading though Cundy's plane was kept very clean, maybe even polished.

Thanks for all the comments from all.

Regards

Michael

• Thanks 1