Hobby Boss 1/48 F6F-3 Hellcat VF-9 USS Essex 1943

Finished.

I fitted the rockets which are included and shown in the kit painting guide, I'm not sure how accurate they are for this particular aircraft and in hindsight I should probably have left them off and filled the locator holes. By the time I'd come to that conclusion I had already painted the underneath so ploughed on regardless not wanting to repair the paintwork which would have entailed.

IMG_7039IMG_7037

IMG_7036

IMG_7034

IMG_7033

• Like 18

It's very unusual for me to see a Hellcat in those colors and markings! One does feel the kinship to the Wildcat just a bit more when it looks like that.

I really like the grubby paint on the wings, it looks like it been through a lot!

Good job Roger!

Now get cracking on the Eduard one 😎

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Christer A said:

It's very unusual for me to see a Hellcat in those colors and markings! One does feel the kinship to the Wildcat just a bit more when it looks like that.

I really like the grubby paint on the wings, it looks like it been through a lot!

Good job Roger!

Now get cracking on the Eduard one 😎

Thanks very much Christer.

I just need to take the dog for her afternoon walk and then it will be Eduard Hellcat time! 😀

• Like 1

I think you're right about the rockets. Did the -3 even have to ability to carry rockets? Anyway I like your build of the kit which has it's flaws. I always like to see Hellcats. 

5 minutes ago, noelh said:

I think you're right about the rockets. Did the -3 even have to ability to carry rockets? Anyway I like your build of the kit which has it's flaws. I always like to see Hellcats. 

Thanks Noel. 

I don't think they did have rockets. Hopefully someone will come along and fill us in with the details. I have a feeling some F6F-5's did. Once armed with the correct info I'd quite like to build an accurate rocket armed Hellcat in the late war overall blue scheme.

Regardless of the inaccuracies it was a fun build with some lessons learned for future projects. 

• Like 1

Great job once again Roger - think this might be one of your best... The weathering and finishing is bang on - love the chipping and staining - looks like a well used airframe but it's not over the top -  it looks very convincing -  it's a top notch paint job too. All I can say is I can't wait to see the finished Eduard version :)

Well done : ) 

@RMCS, @Greg Law @Kitchen Modeller

Thanks very much for your kind comments. Yes, very much in my USN aviation period at the moment. I've got a week left of my leave but not going to rush the Eduard Hellcat and the Academy Dauntless, they'll be continued when I come home again. We'll see how far I get. 🙂

Edited by Roger Newsome

Nice job Roger, a great addition to the cabinet.  

As far as rockets go I'm not sure either but I don't think the -3 was wired for them.  In fact the FAA the MkIs (-3) used for Op. Dragoon could only be equipped with one bomb on the starboard strongpoint.  Some MkII (-5) were equipped with rockets later in the war..

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Nice job Roger, a great addition to the cabinet.  

As far as rockets go I'm not sure either but I don't think the -3 was wired for them.  In fact the FAA the MkIs (-3) used for Op. Dragoon could only be equipped with one bomb on the starboard strongpoint.  Some MkII (-5) were equipped with rockets later in the war..

Thank you and thanks for the info re. the rockets. I'm regretting not doing the research prior to putting paint on the wings but it is what it is. On the plus side it gives me a good feeling for the outcome of the Eduard Hellcat I'm building. 

Roger.

1 minute ago, Roger Newsome said:

Thank you and thanks for the info re. the rockets. I'm regretting not doing the research prior to putting paint on the wings but it is what it is. On the plus side it gives me a good feeling for the outcome of the Eduard Hellcat I'm building. 

Roger.

NP.  

The Eduard Hellcats are great kits.  To date I have built 3, the FAA combi MkI & MkII and a weekend edition MkI.  You will enjoy it.  Pay attention to which version has which cowling (don't ask me how I know this).  

I think I may get a further Weekend edition MkII for my collection.  Then there is that big bar steward that Airfix are bringing out later in the year.  I have an idea for that - an Operation Iceberg 1844 NAS Hellcat II but that's for another day...

• Like 1