Phantom FGR.2 228 OCU 1970

7 hours ago, delticfan said:

Lovely! What paints did you use.

Paints are Xtracrylix with Humbrol Satin Cote on top. The colours looked too dark to me initially, and certainly compared with the Xtracolour enamels I used on my Buccaneer they are a shade darker, but in natural sunlight as in the photos they look OK.

On 4/12/2019 at 5:39 PM, Latinbear said:

Absolutely gorgeous! Reminds me of the Raymond Baxter narrated "Skywatch" programme in the mid 1970's which was screened live during I believe a summer's evening and featured an F4 armed turnaround. I love the grey/green RAF Phantoms. 

Very nice Phantom in the RAF scheme they looked best in. The Skywatch programme was available on YouTube and I downloaded it as I remember it well, was made in 74 and was mostly live. It was filmed at Wittering and I think a certain Mr Adams was serving there at the time. 

13 hours ago, Mr T said:

Very nice Phantom in the RAF scheme they looked best in. The Skywatch programme was available on YouTube and I downloaded it as I remember it well, was made in 74 and was mostly live. It was filmed at Wittering and I think a certain Mr Adams was serving there at the time. 

I must have a look at it again. I had the date of 1974 in my mind but couldn't be sure and so I didn't mention the date (I was too lazy to do an interweb check). From what I recall the weather was glorious when they filmed it. Imagine what it would be like to today filmed in 4K! 

Yes, the weather was perfect. I am pretty sure it was around the longest day it went out. If I remember correctly it started with two 17 Sqn Phantoms over flying the BBC Pebble Mill studios in Birmingham and then landing and film they took was unloaded and processed. The live fire demo was pretty impressive, especially the ripping sound made by the 20mm Vulcan pod on the 6 Sqn Phantoms. Must have another look at it. 

On 13/04/2019 at 07:56, CT Modeller said:

Paints are Xtracrylix with Humbrol Satin Cote on top. The colours looked too dark to me initially, and certainly compared with the Xtracolour enamels I used on my Buccaneer they are a shade darker, but in natural sunlight as in the photos they look OK.

The colours look spot on, I’ve been experimenting with xtracrylixs and had some good results with 2 parts thinner to 1 part paint and a few drops of screenwash all onto a primed surface. Was the humbrol satin cote enamel or acrylic?

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, jagnut said:

Excellent model, unfortunately you have put the 64 fin marking upside down on the right hand side.

Now that I had really not noticed! OK - out with the sellotape to take it off - I think I've got some Fujimi 64 Sqn decals somewhere to replace it.

40 minutes ago, CT Modeller said:

Now that I had really not noticed! OK - out with the sellotape to take it off - I think I've got some Fujimi 64 Sqn decals somewhere to replace it.

Just tried the Fujimi decals over the existing ones but they look cumbersome compared with the nicely done Modeldecal markings so I think I will just live with it. Sometimes you would just rather not know!!

3 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

That was the scheme I had bookmarked for my Revell FGR2. Not much point now seeing as you've made such a cracking job with yours.

Great work and lovely finish.

Mine's only 1/72 though - and you get the chance to put your 64 Sqn markings on the right way up!

• Like 1