Phantom FGR.2 228 OCU 1970

Phantom FGR.2 XT911 228 OCU / 64 Sqn

Coningsby, 1970

IMG_2347

This is the 1/72 Fujimi kit with Modeldecal markings apart from the roundels, which are Xtradecal. I haven't built the Airfix Phantom yet, mainly because I have a fair stock of unbuilt Fujimis in the attic. I like this Fujimi kit - the panel lines are just about right and the shape and detail are good. I've gone back to the early days of the RAF Phantom with this one. I like the R/W/B roundels and glossy finish, and it now complements my Harrier GR.1 and Buccaneer S.2B in this scheme.

Having looked at photos of the new Airfix kit, it seems to provide the tailplane with positive incidence - i.e. leading edge down. If you look at RAF Phantoms at rest the tailplane seems to come to rest the other way round - i.e. leading edge up - and this seems to make a big difference to the overall look. The Fujimi kit gives neutral incidence but I modified mine to give the at-rest look.

IMG_2348

IMG_2345

IMG_2345

IMG_2357

IMG_2356

IMG_2355

IMG_2352

IMG_2345

• Like 70
  • Thanks 2

Ooh, that's nice!

I wonder if the tailplane incidence thing is a holdover from the  Airfix FG1 kit, where one of the options has the plane set for a carrier takeoff (i.e. deflected leading edge down)?

I should take a look in the stash to see if the tailplane mountings are reversible (swap port and starboard) to get the leading edges up for a plane at rest.

I've recently finished the airfix Fgr2 and I think (although I have the memory of a goldfish!) that you get an option on tail plane position, but I could be wrong 🤔. Maybe I should have kept the instructions and leftover bits. 

Very nice Phantom by the way 👍. I do like the early markings and glossy finish. 

Edited by Matt P

Lovely job! I love that scheme and you have done it justice. Amongst a number of other kit purchases, I’ve managed to pick up yet another Fujimi RAF Phantom at a bargain price, on my travels here in Japan. 

Terry

Absolutely gorgeous! Reminds me of the Raymond Baxter narrated "Skywatch" programme in the mid 1970's which was screened live during I believe a summer's evening and featured an F4 armed turnaround. I love the grey/green RAF Phantoms. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Latinbear said:

Absolutely gorgeous! Reminds me of the Raymond Baxter narrated "Skywatch" programme in the mid 1970's which was screened live during I believe a summer's evening and featured an F4 armed turnaround. I love the grey/green RAF Phantoms. 

I remember that programme too - a Vulcan dropping 1000 pounders and Jaguars I seem to remember were in there somewhere