Matchbox 1/72 Heinkel He 115

On 4/22/2019 at 4:09 PM, Stew Dapple said:

I painted the crew:

DSCN0345.jpg

I'd  forgotten how well you do this Stew. Excellence... :clap2:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2019 at 6:49 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Are you using the original kit transfers? I have found Matchbox ones to be quite hardy...

That was my original plan Greg, but see below...

On 5/4/2019 at 10:26 PM, rob85 said:

She is looking a treat stew! Loving how this is coming together 

Rob

Rob! Good to hear from you chap, hope all is well with you?

On 5/5/2019 at 8:12 AM, TheBaron said:

I'd  forgotten how well you do this Stew. Excellence... :clap2:

*blush* Why thank you Tony :) 

As noted above my original intention was to use the Matchbox transfers for the codes and unit badge and the later Revell re-issue transfers for everything else, apart from the swastikas which would come from an Xtradecal set

DSCN0403.jpg

Unfortunately on inspection the Matchbox transfers proved to be severely off-register, not sure if you can see it in the picture, but look at the white outline to the Balkenkreuz:

DSCN0404.jpg

... which was a damned shame as the unit badge for the Matchbox kit - a hooked shark - was very much cooler than the three flying ducks badge of the Revell kit; however needs must so the Revell transfers were used:

DSCN0405.jpg

Despite being bedded down in Klear the fuselage codes silvered badly and I was only partially successful (that is to say I was actually unsuccessful) in eliminating this with a pin and repeated doses of Micro Sol :( It looks worse from some angles than others, so I will need to be selective when taking my RFI pictures :) 

Eventually I gave up and gave the model a coat of Xtraflat varnish:

DSCN0408.jpg

... and this morning removed the canopy masking. As I had suspected the bomb-aimer has gone, but he must have got wedged somewhere in the rear fuselage as he no longer rattles; I am content to leave him be:

DSCN0409.jpg

DSCN0411.jpg

Which is where I am now. Next I need to replace the rear-gunners MG barrel, add the R/T wire, take some pictures and I'll be done :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 19

Looking great Stew.

I can't see silvering on the transfers from here, and the paint scheme is immaculate. 

Excellent result! 👍

Cheers Greg 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s going well thanks stew, even managed to sit down for some modelling today! 

I forgot how smooth you work is, beautiful work. Shame about the transfers not panning out. She still looks excellent in the ones you have chosen!

Rob

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much gents, I've fixed the gun and the R/T wire, so all that remains is to get some photo's done, hopefully I'll put up an RFI post tonight :cheers: 

17 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Also, that's the first time I've seen our RLM72 and RLM73 used anywhere except our tin lids and I like the appearance.

That was one of my principal reasons for wanting to do this kit, I've never done a model in this scheme and I wanted to see what it actually looks like. I was expecting more or less the same level of contrast as in the RLM70/71 scheme so was pleased to see that is is noticeably different and it is an attractive finish, isn't it? B) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

A lovely build of this oldie Stew & it looks like I've been awol throughout. :( Sorry mate, I recall some parts of it like a old dream but not a reaction to be seen, that's just bloody rude of me & a build that deserved better. I've just come here from the RFI & liked what I saw there, rather a lot. I've long thought I should have one of these & now, having seen the Finnish decals on the MB sheet, I'm off for a look around. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Steve, I'm glad you liked it and please don't think you might have seemed rude, I don't imagine you would behave that way :) 

Good hunting, I hope you find one with decent transfers,

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1