EE Lightning F6 - 1/72 Revell

CedB

Lots of fun stuff to build there.

I am partial to the Beaufighters but would love to see the Sunderland or the Superfreighter done.

If you want another quick build the Lindbergh He-162 should go together even quicker than a Hobby Boss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Supermarine Swift? What do you think?

Ciao

You and your jets 🙄

fulmar, barra or that lovely b-26 with the bulls head on is my vote!

hope you have a lovely week mate!

Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, giemme said:

Fair enough, Rob - time for a "Ced's Propeller Build", then :thumbsup:  :rofl: 

Ciao

I merely jest, if Ced wants to build a swift I will happily watch... even if he has just built a jet

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, giemme said:

Fair enough, Rob - time for a "Ced's Propeller Build", then :thumbsup:  :rofl: 

Ciao

I am not going to try to influence your decision, I had my turn already after all, but wouldnt it be splendid to see the stately Sunderland flying in formation with her latter-day successor?

:devil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm back! Actually I've been back for a while but life and lack of mojo have got in the way…

Holiday report to come. Oh, and some Lightning progress, but answers to your kind posts first.

Thanks Giorgio, Phil, Rob, Bill, Ian, Roger, Keith and Ben :) I did start counting votes for the next build but I definitely need a mojo booster so I need to choose wisely (for a change).

On 28/04/2019 at 20:25, TheBaron said:

Didn't realize it was possible to post your stash online like that. I see that you've only gotten round to posting the first tenth of your collection though. :laugh:

Tony I think a Scalemates stash is essential for old blokes like me... stops me buying unintended duplicates at shows! That is my whole stash though - I'm trying to restrict myself so I don't become 'a collector' :) 

Of course my first thought as a mojo boost was to buy a new tool. Top of the list (and not too costly) was one of these:

33983764928_62a626f3cd_z.jpg

Now I can model like Hendie and TheBaron! Yes, I'm still under the delusion that tools compensate for lack of skill. Some people never learn.

have learned that there are various packages of the lathe. Mine came with these:

40894520383_9d43961211_z.jpg

Chuck key, obviously, then (at the bottom) four things for sticking in your wood to hold it and (at the top) three round things with rough ends. What are they? I had no idea (there are no instructions with the set) but then found a video that showed they're 'round bead cutters'. I'm sure they'll come in for something. :shrug:

I had justified this purchase (under £30) for drawing the rings on the Red Top missiles but things changed (see later). In my (tiny) mind, just owning one will up my game. A ha ha ha...

• Like 8

Crete was great.

My first 'organised tour' holiday but it won't be my last; not having to think about anything was very relaxing and the fact that it was a 'Flowers of Crete' tour (and I'm not that interested in flowers) didn't detract from the enjoyment. Our guide Andreas (a botanist) was very knowledgable and an absolute hoot:

47879255131_79ce0c1d4f_z.jpg

That's him with some weeds on his head. Funny. He was the sort of Greek you'd expect to see leading the resistance in old WWII films and has some very firm ideas on Greece's 'structural problems'. He also did a 40 minute presentation on the Battle of Crete without notes. Impressive. We spent a lot of time looking for rare flowers:

32935064217_a28a5f7701_z.jpg

… with Andreas wandering through the fields muttering "I forgot where I put it now; I spent all winter planting stuff for this tour". Did I say he was funny?

We went to several historical sites including, of course, the Palace of Knossos:

32935054867_0a20f68488_z.jpg

Be nice when it's finished. Those Minoans eh - who knew?

As well as the tours there was plenty of time for just lazing around over a cheeky lunchtime beer and just enjoying the sun and surroundings:

47879258631_0e3e64950b_z.jpg

Very relaxing.

• Like 12

Anyway, I'm back now and, after looking at those flippin' missiles and thinking 'that's the last step, get on with it' I had a lot of problems restarting the mojo…

Remember they were, after two or three goes, back to primer?

46808389875_b46c05fe70_z.jpg

Previous posts (thanks guys) have stated they should be grey with green fins so, using this photo as a reference, I sprayed some green and (some time later) masked up:

32929346967_edb07cf232_z.jpg

46958227795_5562962fe6_z.jpg

Not my favourite job. Fiddly. They came out 'good enough for the ceiling' though and, with the refuelling probe and pointy bit on the front, completed the build:

40912629923_bdeb171165_z.jpg

I'll take some more shots later but I don't think she's good enough for an RFI to be honest.

You're going to zoom in on the missiles aren't you?

I thought so.

Serves you right…

Out to lunch today so more photos and choice of the next build to come. Later.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well Jel about Crete,

Please stop buying tools and posting photos!

Already have the mini vacuum cleaner in the basket and now spending Sunday morning looking for mini lathes.

Stress not, the MK 1 eyeball does not have a digital zoom, (and the macro on my pair packed up a couple of years ago).

Box On

Strickers

• Haha 1

I like that Ced, even though I've several Airfix Lightnings, I also bought one of these a while back & wouldn't be ashamed to display it with the newer kits if I can manage a job like that. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, HAMP man said:

Well Jel about Crete,

Please stop buying tools and posting photos!

Already have the mini vacuum cleaner in the basket and now spending Sunday morning looking for mini lathes.

Stress not, the MK 1 eyeball does not have a digital zoom, (and the macro on my pair packed up a couple of years ago).

Box On

Strickers

Sorry Strickers :) 

I bought my lathe from here after looking around for the best UK deal. 

10 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I like that Ced, even though I've several Airfix Lightnings, I also bought one of these a while back & wouldn't be ashamed to display it with the newer kits if I can manage a job like that. :)

Steve.

Aww thanks Steve, kind of you :) 

I had some time for some more shots:

40913286873_8be893f693_z.jpg

47090217974_84c7eabf71_z.jpg

47090230884_49824d29ff_z.jpg

and my favourite Lightning shot:

47879703471_55bb67e278_c.jpg

Must do something about my backdrop. And I need to get hanging these recent completions:

47090249384_e1eee99020_z.jpg

• Like 12

I saw this photo before I read any of your post and my first thought was... That is some long nipple hair!   How very European... has anyone told him he has a hole in his t-shirt?

1 hour ago, CedB said:

47879255131_79ce0c1d4f_z.jpg

glad you enjoyed your trip and it sounds like you had a great time. 

• Haha 4

I don't know about your lathe but I'm in awe of your fancy cocktail sticks:

2 hours ago, CedB said:

46808389875_b46c05fe70_z.jpg

Looks like you had a very enjoyable holiday. It's nice to have a real break and not have to plan anything (although busy holidays are good too!).

The Lightning looks very fine in its camo too.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Ced,

Did you visit only Herakleion or also other parts of Crete? 

I have been to Crete twice (in my late teens; a friend of mine was from Crete) and man, the food, the wines (and the tsikoudia - a local very strong drink 60% alcohol!!) and the whole island is extremely beautiful and the people very friendly, always with a good word to say even to strangers.

• Like 1

Looks like you and Lady H. had a great time there Ced.

The Lightening looks magic mate.

And yet another tool!!!

Still, it`s nice to have one to hand,

Oh yeah, welcome back from hols dear chap.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Crete was great.

Hello Ced, good to have you back here. Having not heard of you anything for quite a while my first hought was, that you have changed your first residence immediately to Crete saying cheerio to all and us🍸🍷🍹🍻

Cheers.

Btw: Why no Rfi?. Looking good so far (statement from one ,who doesn't like the BAC Lighning II at all)

• Thanks 1

Ok Ceb,

A few things:

Did you get to the St Maria Gorge? Lot pf pretty flowers there, or there were in 1996 bit of a trek tho.

What's the torque like on the mini? Does it have a speed controller? 

Would making intake tunnels on a Sword P60 qualify for the brownie points to get a lathe?

The nose ring on the Ligthning looks the biz, (another Ceb recomendation...the pen thingy)

with the speed of your builds I'm not surprised..no time for hanging around (see what I did there?)

Box On 

Strickers

• Thanks 1

I received one of those lathes in the post last year

(thanks mate, an amazing gift)*

A more than toothsome morsel and now I know there is youtube I shall have at it

I need to learn the skills of the bead lathe, I expect this to be more readily assimilated than vector drawings

Crete

Amazing looking place Ced thanks for the travelogue

And look at that Minoan red paint, Walpamur could have used that long lasting pigment for trade paint huh

Lighting?

yes superb

DO do a RFI

You might be pleasantly surprised at the results, after all WE LIKE IT!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nothing wrong with putting up a RFI for this one.

Our club has the motto "Finished is better than perfect."  Which is good looking at how I build.

• Like 3