Jump to content

EE Lightning F6 - 1/72 Revell


CedB

Recommended Posts

Happy yeasta - the bread has risen

 

Didn't somebody do an aftermarket metal nose ring for a lightning?

 

Nice pen work, but pointy bit still a little rounded?

 

Box on 

 

Strickers

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2019 at 7:02 AM, Biggles87 said:

Much better without the tanks. The Lightning was never a pretty aircraft but the tanks made it like 'orrible. I read somewhere that the  extra endurance was minimal because of the huge amount of extra drag created.

 

John

PS Pretty puppy, I like the ' butter wouldn't melt ' look.

Really ??

I enjoyed the fuel tanks over the wing !! A feature that make the frightning so unique....

Some of these british aircrafts are so weird that this is what is making them realy enjoyable !!!

You both know my endless taste for these machine...

Be assured that my Jaguar will carry over wings 'winders !!

Well now, back to my Rocs....

 

Very good Camo Ced !! Sometimes, going back to basics can be fun !

And Nice Spaniels too !! So, Molly has a friend now ?

Sincerely

CC

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/04/2019 at 12:28, keefr22 said:

Looking v.nice Mr. B! :)

 

K

Thanks Keith :) 

On 22/04/2019 at 14:41, Spookytooth said:

Looking very nice Ced.


Happy Easter sir.

 

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) Happy Easter to you and Rose too (if a little late)

On 22/04/2019 at 15:42, limeypilot said:

Where did this pop up from? 

At least I found it before it's finished.

 

Just!

 

Ian

23 hours ago, hendie said:

 

It's a Ced build - if you popped out for lunch you missed one

Welcome Ian and thanks hendie - with the puppy staying with us I'm not getting as much bench time as I'd like.

Mrs B says she can be left with Molly but I don't trust her not to eat anything she can reach!

 

22 hours ago, HAMP man said:

Happy yeasta - the bread has risen

 

Didn't somebody do an aftermarket metal nose ring for a lightning?

 

Nice pen work, but pointy bit still a little rounded?

 

Box on 

 

Strickers

Thanks Strickers - I'll see if I can't sharpen it a little bit more :) 

Metal nose rings? Hate 'em. Not quite as much as pierced navels though.

 

21 hours ago, giemme said:

Steady job there, Ced! :clap: :clap:

 

Almost there now! :pilot:

 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

 

21 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Really ??

I enjoyed the fuel tanks over the wing !! A feature that make the frightning so unique....

Some of these british aircrafts are so weird that this is what is making them realy enjoyable !!!

You both know my endless taste for these machine...

Be assured that my Jaguar will carry over wings 'winders !!

Well now, back to my Rocs....

 

Very good Camo Ced !! Sometimes, going back to basics can be fun !

And Nice Spaniels too !! So, Molly has a friend now ?

Sincerely

CC

Thanks CC - British aircraft weird? How very dare you :D 

 

Xtradecals on the fuselage:

 

40712410473_67c2fdab6d_z.jpg

 

As usual they settled really well with MicroSet. The only problem is the red tail flash that's not quite the right shape for this kit:

 

33801174108_fd599f6a61_z.jpg

 

You can see I've lined up the top right hand corner and the top panel line which means that the front isn't quite parallel. Ho hum.

I'll chop off the extra when it's dry.

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

C'mon Ced, it's just a big red stripe, why don't you just paint it on? 

 

:whistle:

:devil:

:rofl:

 

Looking good with stickers on :clap:

 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Giorgio beat me to it!

 

And if memory serves I ''think'' it was an exercise marking or somesuch, so you could probably leave it off if you wanted...

 

Keith

 

Edit - just googled to check it wasn't a standard marking - & it doesn't appear it was - and found a pic of a camo F6 with the tal code BM.... :)

 

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p979017106/hBA19F90#hba19f90

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Checked back and you're getting along with it nicely Ced. 👍 Some very interesting contributions from Lightning types as well. It does make we wonder if the Lightning could jettison its overwing tanks? Would it need to roll inverted I wonder? 

 

Love the new puppy by the way, sweeeeet! 😁

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No it couldn't jettison the tank, well in the 80's they couldn't and I think early on in its service the decision to make the system inop was made due to possible damage to the Main Spar when the ERU,s fired. Big thing to dump of a wing. You should try working on them when they were fitted.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, giemme said:

C'mon Ced, it's just a big red stripe, why don't you just paint it on? 

 

:whistle:

:devil:

:rofl:

 

Looking good with stickers on :clap:

 

Ciao

Well I could, but then I'd have to do the leading edge bits too to match and I'm far too lazy :) See below

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Giorgio beat me to it!

 

And if memory serves I ''think'' it was an exercise marking or somesuch, so you could probably leave it off if you wanted...

 

Keith

 

Edit - just googled to check it wasn't a standard marking - & it doesn't appear it was - and found a pic of a camo F6 with the tal code BM.... :)

 

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p979017106/hBA19F90#hba19f90

Thanks Keith - ooh, that would have been appropriate! :) 

17 hours ago, HP42 said:

Checked back and you're getting along with it nicely Ced. 👍 Some very interesting contributions from Lightning types as well. It does make we wonder if the Lightning could jettison its overwing tanks? Would it need to roll inverted I wonder? 

 

Love the new puppy by the way, sweeeeet! 😁

Thanks Phil - getting there :) 

17 hours ago, tweeky said:

No it couldn't jettison the tank, well in the 80's they couldn't and I think early on in its service the decision to make the system inop was made due to possible damage to the Main Spar when the ERU,s fired. Big thing to dump of a wing. You should try working on them when they were fitted.  

Thanks tweeky, more interesting information - appreciated :) 

 

Here are the leading edge flashes applied along with the upper roundels:

 

47632884502_4a028d4dd6_z.jpg

 

Then the bottom, including the kit 'stencils':

 

47687543671_786687e5eb_z.jpg

 

Actually painting the red would have been easier; the Xtradecals did 'melt' under the MicroSet but then cracked. Rats.

One good feature of the kit decals are the dotty lines around the tail - they're provided as separate groups of 3 which makes them much easier to line up.

 

Other kit stencils to apply later. Hopefully without interruption from the puppy - there's nothing worse than looking down from the table to see her little face looking at you adoringly, chewing away on something. Luckily this time it was just some cardboard from a box Mrs B had left on the floor. Phew. 

  • Like 13
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks great Ced. Bravo on the hairy stick route, you’re a braver man than I. Looks like my lightning I did last year. I love the red flashes though. Love catching up on BM while I’m on my holibobs. The kids are at scout camp in the Brecons, us two and the dog are half an hour up the road in Geoff the Camper van.  Very, VERY wet out. Just typical after the lovely Easter we just had. Never mind more eyes on BM eh. 😍

 

Take care kid.

 

Johnny 🌦️

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2019 at 11:06 AM, CedB said:

 

 

47591551381_d337255858_z.jpg

 

I do love this stuff; the way it spreads beautifully when first applied and then can be shaped / removed as it goes off.

tis indeed v nice stuff

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Bill, Simon and Rob :) 

 

On 25/04/2019 at 14:23, The Spadgent said:

Looks great Ced. Bravo on the hairy stick route, you’re a braver man than I. Looks like my lightning I did last year. I love the red flashes though. Love catching up on BM while I’m on my holibobs. The kids are at scout camp in the Brecons, us two and the dog are half an hour up the road in Geoff the Camper van.  Very, VERY wet out. Just typical after the lovely Easter we just had. Never mind more eyes on BM eh. 😍

 

Take care kid.

 

Johnny 🌦️

Nice to hear from you while you're away Jont - I hope the storm hasn't hit you too hard :) 

 

On 25/04/2019 at 20:27, SA80A2AR said:

tis indeed v nice stuff

'tis indeed - my favourite! :) 

 

Yesterday was taken up with returning the puppy to her 'parents' on return from their holiday. Although it was nice to have her here I must admit I really enjoyed being able to sit down without a bundle of fur suddenly leaping onto my chest! Mols is a bit relieved too and much more relaxed now her 'pupil' has gone.

 

The lightning has had its sealing coat of satin varnish and the nose attached:

 

46800661855_3b715abc6b_z.jpg

 

Now it's just the pointy thing at the front and the probe to attach after I, perhaps, add some weathering on the camo. These, however, need more work:

 

47717052921_9a7423ced6_z.jpg

 

Not good enough, even for the ceiling. I've now removed the horrid, brushed grey paint and will mask and spray tomorrow. I'm not aiming for Giorgio standard (I still don't have my bottle of patience) but hope to do better…

  • Like 14
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Superb looking Lightning Ced nearly there now!

Someone has to say it at this stage in your build ..............................So it might as well be me    Whats next on the production line?

 

  Roger

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, giemme said:

Looking good in her satin coat! :clap2:

 

The missiles definitely need a bit more of TLC, but I'm sure you'll sort them out for good 😉

 

Ciao

8 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice looking there Ced, the plane that is.

I am with Giorgio on those missiles.

 

And yes, I am still looking for a bottle of patience.

 

Simon.

Thanks Giorgio and Simon :) 

The missiles have had a bit more TLC and white primer applied:

 

46808389875_b46c05fe70_z.jpg

 

think, for this subject, they should be grey with white fins but I'm happy to be corrected - I know tweeky was saying green, or just green fins, but I've seen silver/white on reference shots too… lazy me is planning to mask the fins and spray the rest grey unless anyone objects.

 

11 hours ago, Hamden said:

 

Superb looking Lightning Ced nearly there now!

Someone has to say it at this stage in your build ..............................So it might as well be me    Whats next on the production line?

 

  Roger

Thanks Roger :) 

I'm away for a week or so from tomorrow so I won't have time to finish this… rats.

Once I come back, hopefully even more rested, I'll have a look through my stash.

 

If you lot want to do that in the meantime and suggest your favourite I'll decide on my return. Be gentle - no 'I've always wanted to see someone try that kit" please!

 

46 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Oh no you don't Ced, finish a build before I find it and comment, no,no,no.

 

Smart work sir on what is an old kit and all it's associated issues, she is looking all Lightning now. I do like your flair for trying new ideas or tools, makes your builds all the more interesting.

Hi Gary and welcome. Plenty of time to catch up now! :) 

 

See you all in a week or so.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, CedB said:

If you lot want to do that in the meantime and suggest your favourite I'll decide on my return

Supermarine Swift? What do you think?

 

Ciao

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The lines and angles on this aircraft never cease to shriek 'speed' and your rendition of it  is looking mighty fine Ced!

28 minutes ago, CedB said:

I'll have a look through my stash

Didn't realize it was possible to post your stash online like that. I see that you've only gotten round to posting the first tenth of your collection though. :laugh:

 

Rather taken by that snazzy looking Marauder...

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...