EE Lightning F6 - 1/72 Revell

CedB

I do a similar thing to masks Ced, brush a little Clear on top of the masks and the edges they will make, all the underseepage is then Clear which can be toothpicked off if it has colour on it

I admit it, what those two are saying looks a dead cert to be subversive

Mind your legs when they are both out on  the lead with you

:nodding:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Eeeerrr ... ehm... ehm... I'm gonna need a bit of translation here, the kind smarter than google translate ... please? :shrug: :) 

Ciao

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Eeeerrr ... ehm... ehm... I'm gonna need a bit of translation here, the kind smarter than google translate ... please? :shrug: :) 

Ciao

I think Bill is referring to taking both dogs for walks and to avoid being tripped up with the two leads when they go in different directions

Roger 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Hamden said:

I think Bill is referring to taking both dogs for walks and to avoid being tripped up with the two leads when they go in different directions

Roger 

Oh, the dogs! Many thanks Roger, now it totally makes sense :thanks: 

Ciao

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Little 'un is saying to Molly - 'look at the mess he's made of that canopy masking....!!' :winkgrin:

K

Oi! :D 

17 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I remember my doctor saying I needed to lose weight, the look on my face must have said it all, as she then said "we all need to lose some weight".  Pot and kettle came to mind.

I think he's saying it looks "Ruffff" :facepalm:

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I used to have a diabetic clinic nurse like that - she must have been 6 inches shorter and 4 or 5 stone heavier than me! Practically every annual clinic she used to say she'd lost 3 stone - I had to bite my tongue not to ask which leg she'd had amputated!!

K

15 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

How many legs did she have to start with?  But yes, a lot of NHS staff fit that profile, back to a teapot, short and stout. :shrug:

Keith and Bob - that's one thing that winds me up about modern 'clinicians' in General Practice; they seem to have general opinions that are often not backed up by any facts. Like them telling me that my cholesterol was 'above average' - I'm always above average and, if I took their stay-on-them-for-life drugs my level would go down but then so would the average! Lose/lose (except for the drug companies) :shrug:

15 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Ced, I lost 3 stone since I moved to our new flat 2 1/2 years ago, just eat sensibly and moderation.

Fillet steak and chips every nigh probably would though LOL.

Hope that the masking prob is not too severe mate.

Simon. 

Thanks Simon and well done on the weight loss :) 

14 hours ago, giemme said:

I hate when that happens. Here's a little trick that works for me: I brush paint some Aqua Gloss along the mask edges. They will just stay in place no matter what you spray on top of them. HTH

Ciao

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I do a similar thing to masks Ced, brush a little Clear on top of the masks and the edges they will make, all the underseepage is then Clear which can be toothpicked off if it has colour on it

Thanks Bill and Giorgio - great tip :) 

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking good in primer Mr B. Not to sure about that masking pen though. Real pain about the canopy mask though. 😲 you’ll sort it though in proper Ced fashion. 😌

Jont.

Thanks Jont :) 

The masking stuff didn't turn out that well to be honest. It certainly masks well and comes off cleanly with a damp cotton bud:

46704560035_e80ecf85d1_z.jpg

… but not being able to draw a straight demarcation line against the frame is an issue. Pushing off with a cocktail stick also works:

47620041351_72d660d8a5_z.jpg

… and both methods leave no residue that I can see. I'll be using it with tape on curvy canopies I think. Should have used it on the Lightning!

Top seam is fine:

33742675668_65c812f258_z.jpg

… but the bottom needs more work (fnaar!):

40653523233_f281520b59_z.jpg

I think I'll put some filler in those door gaps too.

Trouble is we've limited the puppy to hard floors until she's properly house trained so I won't be able to get to the bench. But wait, look what I've found:

47620743191_8c824aecf9_z.jpg

Should allow me to move downstairs with some carefully chosen material and tools?

• Like 10

She looks good in her primer coat Ced.

As for the canopy masking, masking tape for me, if needed some masking gel.

good to see an alternative to the bench though.

Happy puppy watching mate.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Trouble is we've limited the puppy to hard floors until she's properly house trained so I won't be able to get to the bench. But wait, look what I've found:

47620743191_8c824aecf9_z.jpg

so how exactly is the doggie going to use that?   I'm all ears.....

• Haha 6

On 16/04/2019 at 13:32, Spookytooth said:

She looks good in her primer coat Ced.

As for the canopy masking, masking tape for me, if needed some masking gel.

good to see an alternative to the bench though.

Happy puppy watching mate.

Simon.

Masking gel? Is that like Maskol or something new? :) 

On 16/04/2019 at 17:01, hendie said:

so how exactly is the doggie going to use that?   I'm all ears.....

14 hours ago, perdu said:

GS hypo its little feet to each corner

Simples

🐕  💩  🙅

All ears? Just like the Spaniels! Bill how could you:

40661435703_4322998971_z.jpg

She doesn't even have her proper teeth, yet!

Quick 'Kim's game':

33750534398_7a370c1828_z.jpg

But in this version you have to say what I've forgotten*.

You'll notice that the holes in the wings have been filled - I prefer her without the tanks:

33750538488_8262181e78_z.jpg

First coat of green on:

33750881608_d68bf72095_z.jpg

* Scissors and flow improver.

• Like 10

Much better without the tanks. The Lightning was never a pretty aircraft but the tanks made it like 'orrible. I read somewhere that the  extra endurance was minimal because of the huge amount of extra drag created.

John

PS Pretty puppy, I like the ' butter wouldn't melt ' look.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hendie said:

to glue the pup in place?

where's the pointy-out-the-nose bit?

It seems we might be out of step, in a modern world kind of way, with our glue puppy in her place mindset

Oh well, when you're right you're right

As for the stickyoutpointybit, this is the Hasegawafroglet Lightning who's stick... Thing is in need of better pointying

Whilst better than early vintage Airfix Lightning's it will still need its little nipple shape turning into a VERY SHARP point

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, hendie said:

to glue the pup in place?

where's the pointy-out-the-nose bit?

2 hours ago, perdu said:

It seems we might be out of step, in a modern world kind of way, with our glue puppy in her place mindset

Oh well, when you're right you're right

As for the stickyoutpointybit, this is the Hasegawafroglet Lightning who's stick... Thing is in need of better pointying

Whilst better than early vintage Airfix Lightning's it will still need its little nipple shape turning into a VERY SHARP point

You guys! Enough of this glueing puppy talk, there WILL be growling… :D 

Fret ye not hendie, here's the pointy-out-the-nose bit:

33758244608_d09e32633a_z.jpg

Bill I will attend to the, er, nipple. I have a vague memory of how one turns them into sharp points (fnaar!)

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Much better without the tanks. The Lightning was never a pretty aircraft but the tanks made it like 'orrible. I read somewhere that the  extra endurance was minimal because of the huge amount of extra drag created.

John

PS Pretty puppy, I like the ' butter wouldn't melt ' look.

Thanks John - agreed! 

Thunder and Lightnings has a good history of the Lightning with some 'light-hearted moments' at the bottom. 

My tin of H164 is, of course, thick. Not enough room for enough thinner so resorted to dipping the brush in thinners too. First brushed coat of Dark Sea Grey:

46910667944_8868283342_z.jpg

Now I remember why I prefer airbrushing!

Mind you, that nostalgic smell of Humbrol enamels…

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

My sense of smell has been declining over the last few years and has almost disappeared completely now, I can't smell the Xtracolour I'm using at all. It doesn't seem to have reduced my enjoyment of food or alcohol though so it's not all bad.

Some micro meshing soon then?

John

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Brush painted camo = no masking! (apart from the straighty bits at the bottom)

:)

Adrian

You do have a point.... :rofl:

Ciao

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 8:23 AM, CedB said:

On my other Lightning build (pre-BM) I bought some Humbrol gloss black and sprayed the nose ring with Alclad Chrome. Smelly.

This time I thought I'd use my thick Molotow chrome pen:

46860309584_f50338154f_z.jpg

Good enough for the ceiling.

That's after three coats and you can see on the paper in the background the results of me pumping the pen after a very, very good shake.

Stew and I have both found that if you just shake it a bit you just get a fizzy mess.

I think the secret is to shake it, then shake it a bit more and then give it a good shake.

Then pump the tip until you get chrome rather than fizzy silver.

Messy, but much easier than Alclad IMHO.

Those Molotow chrome pens look like a must have.  I wonder what area you can cover with them.  If they can cover a Hawker Fury engine cowling evenly they'd be great.  I can imagine using them on the front halves of 41 Sqn Hornet prop spinners as well.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

And how long they took to dry LOL.

Good to see that the Puppy has not got fixed anywhere.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) After today's charging about at high speed I'm beginning to think that glueing the puppy down may not be that bad an idea!

9 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

My sense of smell has been declining over the last few years and has almost disappeared completely now, I can't smell the Xtracolour I'm using at all. It doesn't seem to have reduced my enjoyment of food or alcohol though so it's not all bad.

Some micro meshing soon then?

John

As long as you're still enjoying the important things in life John, all's well :) 

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Coming along nicely, Ced :clap: Brush painted camo - you must have found some of that canned patience, haven't you? :winkgrin: :)

Ciao

I have Giorgio, thanks. This one was labelled 'Pinot Noir' :) 

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Brush painted camo = no masking! (apart from the straighty bits at the bottom)

:)

Adrian

Yes, but soooooo many coats, and then micro-meshing. I wish I had your brushing skills Adrian :) 

2 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

Those Molotow chrome pens look like a must have.  I wonder what area you can cover with them.  If they can cover a Hawker Fury engine cowling evenly they'd be great.  I can imagine using them on the front halves of 41 Sqn Hornet prop spinners as well.

I think they'll cover large areas Joseph, with care. When you first apply the chrome there's a sort of fizziness and then it self-levels. As long as you make sure there's no lumps / gaps I think you should be fine :) 

1 hour ago, tweeky said:

Thanks tweeky - but is that an inert missile? I think the colours differ depending on the fuel / explosive. I'm just going to do mine as per the discussions here :) 

Second DSG coat on:

33761979188_9e0306a59b_z.jpg

Micro-meshing tomorrow.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks tweeky - but is that an inert missile? I think the colours differ depending on the fuel / explosive. I'm just going to do mine as per the discussions

For normal day to day Flying/Training Lightning's carried no Ammo but two 30mm Cannons. As for missiles The port station carried a drill missile (had DRILL stenciled on the missile body and a blue band)  No seeker head was fitted just a steel or some other material in its place. Why? the ladder was on the port side and the missile could be hit with the ladder so to preserve the stock of seeker head glass this was the same for both missile types.  The Stbd station carried and Acquisition missile this had a seeker head and all the associated equipment to allow the missile track and cool the seeker head this had AQUI stencilled on the body and a pinkish band around the missile . The Firestreak Missile was Green all over. The Redtop however was light grey/sliverish with green steering fins and rear tail cone Redtops also didn't carry the main wings on these two types of missiles.

Live missiles were carried on QRA ,Station generation exercises and transit flight to RAF Valley prior to MPC (missile practice camp) on both station. Again the Firestreak was green all over but with a Yellow and brown band around the missile these denoted High explosive and rocket motor, also visible on was the two rows of proximity fuse windows (in the new Airfix kit there are decals).  As for the Redtop it carried the same yellow and brown markings. The triangular steering fins and tail cone were the same green but and also in green the main wings were fitted. Proximity  fuse's were a little harder to spot on the Redtop there was only 4 on the missile body.

Live Firestreak bellow you can see the proximity windows in the FWD section of the missile note the red covers on the windows on the jet behind. also the missile delivery/storage trolley can be seen under the gunport with the red "noddy cap" used to protect the seeker head glass. 

14359344732_8c17c36a9e_b.jpg

Of couse the photo of the missile is inert they wouldn't put a live missile in a museum.  

This link might help as to the meaning of the banding and colour's used

http://www.fast-air.co.uk/raf-nato-weapons-markings/

Edited by tweeky
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thanks tweeky - great information and a useful link :) 

Pointy bit made more pointy and tip metalised:

46941606344_f04d632d43_z.jpg

Underside brushed with AK paste Aluminium, dark and normal:

40699179143_e84f28c1a1_z.jpg

Ready for a coat of varnish before the transfers:

33788416548_65482ae9f3_z.jpg

Hope those of you in the UK are enjoying the sun :) 

• Like 14