EE Lightning F6 - 1/72 Revell

CedB

Now a lighting is a jet I can get on board with! Love the one in Cosford pointing straight up in the air. This, the vampire/venom and sea vixen are the hand full of jets I would say I love.

nice work so far Ced, looking forward to the rest!

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My memory of the Lightning was when we lived in Leuchars.

One Saturday driving to St Andrews in my Dad's Ford Anglia, we happened to be going past the end of the runway as one was comming in to land. To a four year old it seemed to be flying right across the bonnet of the car, scared the crap out of me.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, giemme said:

Wise choice 👍 Incidentally, this will allow us to keep up with your pace... :winkgrin:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :D 

Being slowed down by social events as well. Out to lunch today.

22 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice quick work Ced.

Another couple of days and she will be finished.

Do you want an egg with that burger?

Simon.

Salt and vinegar?

Thanks Simon :) Yes please, salt and vinegar always with chips!

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

And cut his head off and give him one with a proper brain bucket! (OK I know you won't see it upon the ceiling through the kit canopy, but remember those standards....!!)

K

Thanks Keith :) 

Pleased you pointed out that the bone dome would be wrong if I used a Chubbie. And the flying kit. Another option occurred to me (see below)

18 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Very old school!  Not only did I not get a seat anywhere near the front, I am arriving just after they reveal that "the butler did it"...

Regards,

Adrian

Welcome Adrian! :) 

16 hours ago, rob85 said:

Now a lighting is a jet I can get on board with! Love the one in Cosford pointing straight up in the air. This, the vampire/venom and sea vixen are the hand full of jets I would say I love.

nice work so far Ced, looking forward to the rest!

Rob

Me too Rob - my love of jets is very limited; they all start looking a bit 'samey' to me. YMMV :) 

13 hours ago, John_W said:

My memory of the Lightning was when we lived in Leuchars.

One Saturday driving to St Andrews in my Dad's Ford Anglia, we happened to be going past the end of the runway as one was comming in to land. To a four year old it seemed to be flying right across the bonnet of the car, scared the crap out of me.

Great story, thanks John :) 

Not much time this morning but I was able to sort out the pilot issue. Spread 'em!

32662908477_b99ed82a2f_c.jpg

He's in now:

33728170118_63368b6d19_c.jpg

Didn't think I'd be using the new 'little nippers' quite so soon.

Just goes to show you can never have too many clamps :D 

Note: need to paint the visor, then on to canopy masking.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Just goes to show you can never have too many clamps :D 

Just as much as never having too many tools... :whistle: :rofl:

Ciao

• Haha 1

Strewth Ced, fast build! I'm sooo glad a gave this kit a new home, I'd have mumbled about it knowing I had new Airfix to do. Looking good though, I bet it will scrub up to look very nice on the celling.

Like the look of the silver pens and I do wonder if the masking one could ever give the crispness required for a canopy?  I'll keep watching with interest!

Finished that Condor by the way, along with half a dozen others. That masking you did for the engine nacelles was brilliant, thanks so much, saved the day on that one. Just need to figure out how to post piccys and they can go up on the board. 

• Thanks 1

Hello Ced, good work on that, but I leave this out, as it's not a Lightning I. As said before,  not really my theme and one of the most odd and weird looking twin engine fighters of the post war (kindly spoken). But I just wanted to wish you (and all the others) a nice easter week, as I'm away tomorrow to the Sauerland for that.

Oh, by the way: No sausages, but Burgers with chips on your diet?? Tell me about that,  please! I just want to now. Your doc could get me the recipe for that, of course. Cheers

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, giemme said:

Just as much as never having too many tools... :whistle: :rofl:

Ciao

Quite right Giorgio :D 

I've finally found some stock of the Platz Hyper Gate saw and placed an order - I blame that @azureglo and @06/24!

No idea why Jon's handle doesn't flag. Ho hum.

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Lightning!!! Like your build speed. Well I’m here at last. I’ll try and keep up with this one. Looks like you’re giving that old kit a run for its money. Nice work Mr B.

😀

Johnny

Thanks Jont :) 

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

True, you just don`t know when you will need that special tool you purchased many years ago..

Nice going Ced.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) 

2 hours ago, HP42 said:

Strewth Ced, fast build! I'm sooo glad a gave this kit a new home, I'd have mumbled about it knowing I had new Airfix to do. Looking good though, I bet it will scrub up to look very nice on the celling.

Like the look of the silver pens and I do wonder if the masking one could ever give the crispness required for a canopy?  I'll keep watching with interest!

Finished that Condor by the way, along with half a dozen others. That masking you did for the engine nacelles was brilliant, thanks so much, saved the day on that one. Just need to figure out how to post piccys and they can go up on the board. 

Hi Phil! :) I don't think the masking pens will get an outing on this one (see below) as I want to get some primer on. Thanks again for the kit.

Keen to see the Condor - go on, post an RFI.

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced, good work on that, but I leave this out, as it's not a Lightning I. As said before,  not really my theme and one of the most odd and weird looking twin engine fighters of the post war (kindly spoken). But I just wanted to wish you (and all the others) a nice easter week, as I'm away tomorrow to the Sauerland for that.

Oh, by the way: No sausages, but Burgers with chips on your diet?? Tell me about that,  please! I just want to now. Your doc could get me the recipe for that, of course. Cheers

The diet lets me eat meat and potatoes as long as they're not fried in fat - I'm being guided by my wife and daughter! :) 

Canopy masked with film:

40643394413_764143312c_c.jpg

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, CedB said:

The diet lets me eat meat and potatoes as long as they're not fried in fat - I'm being guided by my wife and daughter! :) 

Hello Ced, I leave you alone with that, except one thing: Leave out the potatoes, if you're on a real diet. It's not the fat of a sausage or anything else like that.  It's the carbohydrates. Especially in the evening, when your body takes them,  instead of taking it (the fat) from your fat front body (My doc told me so). It's just easier for him and we are all lazy!!  But one question for me again: You never really looked that oversized to me. Weird. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Aww thanks Ben - not sure Mrs B would agree with you though! :) 

The diet I'm on is no fat, no sugar so you're allowed potatoes and pasta which means I haven't had to munch on leaves - phew!

• Like 2

Quick update…

I've added another small bit of tape to the bottom of the front canopy after checking references (again).

The Platz saw has been shipped: 10-30 days delivery (I'm a cheapskate). @06/24 your tag is working this morning! I'm expecting Samurai performance (from the saw, not from you Jon!)

Primer next and the test on the Molotow masking pens.

Puppy is arriving today for the Easter holidays so I'm not sure how much bench time I'm going to get if I want the house to stay un-chewed.

We shall see…

Sit, stay! (Not you guys, the puppy) :dog:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

44 minutes ago, CedB said:

Primer next and the test on the Molotow masking pens.

I’ll be interested to see how you get on with the masking pens. I’ve had another go and found removing the mask with a mechanical pencil rubber worked a little better - that still leaves plenty of variables to check though

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Avereda said:

I’ll be interested to see how you get on with the masking pens. I’ve had another go and found removing the mask with a mechanical pencil rubber worked a little better - that still leaves plenty of variables to check though

Thanks John :)

Not that well, although I suppose as expected. Here's the results so far…

The pens come 'clean':

46890274674_2b303fcce8_z.jpg

and need a good shake and pump but then the fluid itself is nicely runny. So runny that it pools:

40648032313_1b1fb6157b_z.jpg

40648108963_f60e1f39ee_z.jpg

32672133307_3e0cbd9f08_z.jpg

but it goes on much easier than the (thicker) bottled stuff I have from Humbrol and Mr Hobby. 

I've sprayed it with primer and we'll see what happens later. I did see a video on YouTube where the guy removed it (from paint) using a damp cotton bud.

Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Thanks Tony - looks yummy :Tasty:

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

He is Ben, he's about 9foot tall (well he looks that when he stands next to you & you're only 5 foot 9....!!) :)

58 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

You are not over weight Ced, just short for your weight.

Simon.

35 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

There's a lot of it about, I resemble that remark. :whistle:

Thanks Keith, Simon and Bob :) I'm near my best fighting weight I think but the skinny brigade don't, of course, agree!

Primer on the Lightning:

46699222935_b359313c9f_c.jpg

This is not what you want to see after spraying:

46699250305_aca5f2208e_z.jpg

Rats. No doubt some cleaning up to do.

Back to these two now:

46890600484_750c34b638_c.jpg

I think they're conspiring against us!

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Keith, Simon and Bob :) I'm near my best fighting weight I think but the skinny brigade don't, of course, agree!

I remember my doctor saying I needed to lose weight, the look on my face must have said it all, as she then said "we all need to lose some weight".  Pot and kettle came to mind.

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Little 'un is saying to Molly - 'look at the mess he's made of that canopy masking....!!' :winkgrin:

I think he's saying it looks "Ruffff" :facepalm:

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I remember my doctor saying I needed to lose weight, the look on my face must have said it all, as she then said "we all need to lose some weight".  Pot and kettle came to mind.

I used to have a diabetic clinic nurse like that - she must have been 6 inches shorter and 4 or 5 stone heavier than me! Practically every annual clinic she used to say she'd lost 3 stone - I had to bite my tongue not to ask which leg she'd had amputated!!

K

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Practically every annual clinic she used to say she'd lost 3 stone - I had to bite my tongue to not ask which leg she'd had amputated!!

How many legs did she have to start with?  But yes, a lot of NHS staff fit that profile, back to a teapot, short and stout. :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ced, I lost 3 stone since I moved to our new flat 2 1/2 years ago, just eat sensibly and moderation.

Fillet steak and chips every nigh probably would though LOL.

Hope that the masking prob is not too severe mate.

Simon. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Rats. No doubt some cleaning up to do.

I hate when that happens. Here's a little trick that works for me: I brush paint some Aqua Gloss along the mask edges. They will just stay in place no matter what you spray on top of them. HTH

Ciao

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1