EE Lightning F6 - 1/72 Revell

CedB

To be fair to Hasegawa, the Lightning kit first saw the light of day in about 1968 and was no worse than most 1/72nd kits of the era. Frog copied the tool (legally as part of a deal with Hasegawa) and their version had much better decals. This kit reappeared under the Novo label and other Russian brands. Hasegawa seems to keep bringing it back although well past it's sell date by now. Built one in the mid 80's, finished with Modeldecals after I took a colour slide of the 11 Sqn a/c at Finningley in 77. Eventually died and replaced by the Airfix one about 3 years ago. 

Edited by Mr T
Typos
  • Like 2

Interestingly, IIRC, Frog at first simply reboxed the original Hasegawa tool and later on made their own tool with rearranged sprues on the basis of the Hase tool. Hasegawa on their part adapted their original tooling, introducing a bit more detail. Revell reboxed both the Frog tool and the revised Hasegawa tool, the latter being your boxing. The Frog(spawn) tool can be found in this Revell boxing: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04131-bac-lightning-f-mk6--144887

Edited by ivand
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, CedB said:

After looking through 15 pages of results from a BM search on “Lightning F6” very few are the Revell kit.

Why’s that? The Airfix kit is better? Ho hum…

I've built that kit Ced, - and in camo.

I've also built the Hasegawa kit it originated from.

Got to say it was my favourite Lightning until the Airfix kit came out.

My most recent Lightning was a Matchbox, that is well and truly trumped now,

but the thread shows how I do metal foil for the nose-ring, which contrasts with your pen.

• Thanks 1

Crikey, a few hours off and a great crowd has gathered! Good stuff.

Nothing done yesterday after noon…

Local U3A Science group with a great talk from an ex-ICI member on 'Plastics - Good or Bad?'. I like talking to scientists about this sort of thing, especially when they know their stuff (bit like BM really). Of course there were a few non-science types there injecting acquired opinions; always reminds me of Animal Farm when they 'sheep' things like "plastics baaaad". Oh well, takes all sorts.

Last night we went to one of those 'Theatre Live' events at the cinema; you know, the ones where you get to sit in the cinema watching a live play and paying somewhere between theatre and cinema prices. I had a great time. 'All About Eve' with Gillian Anderson and Lily James. :Tasty:

That made me think about this build; I usually like the older subjects but I can be, occasionally, talked in to something more modern :D 

20 hours ago, amblypygid said:

That chrome really is bright and shiny; I'm sufficiently impressed to be browsing Amazon for one. I see also that they do a masking liquid pen, what an idea (if it works).

Did you find it Chris? Paul has them at Modelling Tools and I think you need a small one (for u/c legs etc) and a thick one for jobs like this.

He also has the masking pens - must give them a try :) 

20 hours ago, perdu said:

Well that looks properjob to me Ced

Apart from  :)  :)  :)

Seat should be greenish bum/backpads and black seat

But on the ceiling? Who'll know

And the nose cone should be a cone not a nipple

The colours can be almost any in the green to beige range of colours so do NOT let anyone mither you about that

It is cured fibreglass so take it from there

The point, just a tiny tad silver-Y

Thanks Bill :) Did I not do green and black? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick (again)? Tiny tad silver - noted!

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Oooh nice shiny ring Ced (there ya go pal....!!)

Especially with a ratskin flesh primed pilot sat on it!

Which is why, for those of us who are dim enough to rescribe things, it should be the law that any kit with raised panel lines must be moulded in silver plastic so you get the ghost guide lines left when you sand it down!!

What the wise man says!

Keith

Thanks Keith :) 

19 hours ago, Rob G said:

Lightnings apparently carried enough fuel to defend the airfields that Lightnings were stationed at. I read that on BM, so it must be right!

These are my very most favouritest jet airyplaney things evahhhhh, and it's grand to see you making one. I did an 'Asegawaha kit in a GB a couple of years back, and while it's no great shakes, it does look pretty much like a Lightning. When you've finished this one, have a go at the new(ish) and much superior 72nd Airfix version. Don't bother with the 72nd Trumpeter one, it's pants. As is the 32nd version...

Now, off you go. I'll be watching...

Thanks Rob :)

18 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Ced !

Nice start on the Frightning !

Will follow too, This chrome pen look really interesting !

What's the brand please ?

Sincerely.

CC

Hi CC - the pen is a 'Molotow Liquid Chrome' pen and should be available locally? :) 

18 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

If the Greenham Lightning display you saw Kieth was around '77-'78 that would have been Geoff Brindle, who later became Display Manager at IAT. He really did have some Frightening stories to tell. You just couldn't beat a Lightning going vertical at the end of a display, we used to ask for an extension to our airspace up to FL180 ( 18,000ft ) for a Lightning vertical climb but it was only  FL120 for a Phantom, sorry Pantom Phanatics but it just didn't have the oomph.

John

Ha ha! Great stories coming out - love it! :D 

17 hours ago, Beard said:

Ooh, a Lightning... I saw one of them yesterday.

Nice photo, thanks Simon :) 

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Earlier than that John, 73 or 74 if IIRC.

Another Lightning 'display' I enjoyed was when I was in my IOT at Cranwell in my also abortive RAF career, & they took us for a 'day out' at Coningsby when the place was awash with Phantoms. A pair of 5 sqn jets had visited for lunch and lined up for a pairs depature - full burner, rotate, tactical break, pull into the vertical and again barrel roll upwards until out of sight! It was definitely a 'follow that suckers' message to the Phantom mob!

Keith

And another one! Thanks Keith :) 

16 hours ago, perdu said:

My first year as CI to my ATC Sqn had us visiting Wattisham for Annual Camp

What a wonderful place to imbue Air-mindedness to young teenagers

We loved being able to loiter round the QRA shed, hell of a good thing children

hell of a good thing

(Wont dwell on the air experience Lightning ride that didnt, A/C went tech... )  :(

23, 56 and 111

ISTR

Oooo, perhaps I should get involved with the local ATC / Air Scouts? Maybe too old now... :) 

16 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

So what's it going to be - XR727 or XR770?

Not sure yet Steve - I'll see what the Xtradecal sheet leads me to :) 

16 hours ago, hendie said:

I think you've done 3 builds in less time than I've managed to get two modeling sessions in!    

nice quick start though.  Camo is a nice choice

Don't worry hendie, some people have other things than modelling in their lives :D 

15 hours ago, tweeky said:

XR770 'AA' was the first Grey Lightning in 81ish huge roundels on the nose. She also wore Saudi markings at one time too.  My profile pic is a 5 Sqn reunion taken a Waddington. Happy 5 years on type.

14 hours ago, ivand said:

Thanks tweeky and Ivan

13 hours ago, Mr T said:

To be fair to Hasegawa, the Lightning kit first saw the light of day in about 1968 and was no worse than most 1/72nd kits of the era. Frog copied the tool (legally as part of a deal with Hasegawa) and their version had much better decals. This kit reappeared under the Novo label and other Russian brands. Hasegawa seems to keep bringing it back although well past it's sell date by now. Built one in the mid 80's, finished with Modeldecals after I took a colour slide of the 11 Sqn a/c at Finningley in 77. Eventually died and replaced by the Airfix one about 3 years ago. 

11 hours ago, ivand said:

Interestingly, IIRC, Frog at first simply reboxed the original Hasegawa tool and later on made their own tool with rearranged sprues on the basis of the Hase tool. Hasegawa on their part adapted their original tooling, introducing a bit more detail. Revell reboxed both the Frog tool and the revised Hasegawa tool, the latter being your boxing. The Frog(spawn) tool can be found in this Revell boxing: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04131-bac-lightning-f-mk6--144887

Thanks Mr T and Ivan - interesting stuff :) 

10 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I've built that kit Ced, - and in camo.

I've also built the Hasegawa kit it originated from.

Got to say it was my favourite Lightning until the Airfix kit came out.

My most recent Lightning was a Matchbox, that is well and truly trumped now,

but the thread shows how I do metal foil for the nose-ring, which contrasts with your pen.

Thanks Tim :) 

Molotow masking pens ordered from Paul, of course.

I'll let you know how I get on with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Filled the doors:

47591551381_d337255858_z.jpg

I do love this stuff; the way it spreads beautifully when first applied and then can be shaped / removed as it goes off.

Bill suggested putting water in the opening of your plastic putty after use and I've started to do this (using Liquid Poly) with the Humbrol filler. I think / hope it's stopped the tube going hard - hooray!

Next steps:

47591593461_d9a660cec2_z.jpg

Obviously I'm going to fit the doors next - fingers crossed!

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, CedB said:

hope it's stopped the tube going hard

Snurf!😈

I have a couple of Aifix Lightnings in the stash, undecided on what schemes to do them in so watching this one with interest.

AW

• Like 1

Welcome AW! :) 

Do the doors fit? They don't look too bad from this angle:

46676197615_7d91f7bb38_z.jpg

… but then:

40625745183_e9d801a819_z.jpg

I can't remember who suggested 'bedding' on filler to sort out this (perhaps it was me?) but it works well. On with a blob of Humbrol filler:

47591780841_f1f70c6cb9_z.jpg

Very gently settle the parts into place:

46867780414_e2777e76ca_z.jpg

At this point I want to have another shout out for what I now call 'Giorgio's pick up tool':

32649557477_904535a778_z.jpg

The top tool in that shot used to have a sticky point. It fell off.

The next one down is one of those 'smart hold Stix'. It's dried out.

Giorgio's tool at the bottom is really good. You can mold the end to a point for small parts or flatten it for a better grip on larger parts. When it dries out, just stick another blob of BluTak on the cocktail stick. Magic!

Both wings done now:

47592045241_e8123f1572_z.jpg

The shiny plastic makes it look like some of the parts are crooked in that photo but trust me, they're as flat as they're going to get.

Lunchtime!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, CedB said:

I can't remember who suggested 'bedding' on filler to sort out this (perhaps it was me?) but it works well. On with a blob of Humbrol filler:

I have used decorators 'caulking' like what they use round door frames; squirt some in hole, put your part in and squish down, if their's too much, it's viscous enough to go sideways. And...it's water soluble, so any excess just wipes off. I have actually used it as a filler if you're not wanting to sand it and you can paint over it too.

I want to see what you're going to do about those crevasses panel lines :work:

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Stuart for the tip on caulking :) Panel lines? :lalala:

Thanks Giorgio :) 

Suddenly it's frightening:

40627503273_08f031e66e_z.jpg

Out again tonight so that will get plenty of time to dry.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Ced, are you trying to beat some sort of record?? I can't believe it's almost ready for paint!

I know, it's less than 48 hours since the thread start. After a 'skin full' tonight he'll be out of action for a little while. :rofl:

Stuart

• Haha 4

I feel guilty for forcing him to channel all his build time into one boring old Nimrod

Er...

Wait a minute!

Do I?

Really?

Nah of course I don't, it's given him the impetus to blast out stunners in no time

I ask you though, ready for paint already?

Wonderful

Have a good 'un tonight Ced, I intend to

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Aha! A real Lightning this time. I knew you'd see the light. Just make sure you don't build that other Lightning...   :)

I remember buying this kit and expecting it would be a similar quality to the Revell Eurofighter that I had just built. When I opened the box, I was shocked to find the old Hasegawa kit. I think this experience was what led me to join Scalemates so I could get idea of the provenance of a kit before I bought it.

So, you seem to be redefining the term "weekend kit." Sand off all those raised panel lines, they weren't on the real thing. And don't worry about scribing panel lines, they may have been on the real thing, but you can't see them in 1:72 scale. Especially when it's on your ceiling.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

And don't worry about scribing panel lines, they may have been on the real thing, but you can't see them in 1:72 scale. Especially when it's on your ceiling.

Wise words there Bill, I like those words.

Stuart

• Like 3

17 hours ago, giemme said:

Ced, are you trying to beat some sort of record?? I can't believe it's almost ready for paint! :frantic: :rofl:

Ciao

:D I'm not sure what my fastest build was Giorgio but this must be close.

15 hours ago, Courageous said:

I know, it's less than 48 hours since the thread start. After a 'skin full' tonight he'll be out of action for a little while. :rofl:

Stuart

:D Not a skinful Stuart, sadly - a very cultural 'Night at the Oscars' by the local amateur dramatic lot. Fun! 

14 hours ago, perdu said:

I feel guilty for forcing him to channel all his build time into one boring old Nimrod

Er...

Wait a minute!

Do I?

Really?

Nah of course I don't, it's given him the impetus to blast out stunners in no time

I ask you though, ready for paint already?

Wonderful

Have a good 'un tonight Ced, I intend to

Thanks Bill :) (Some blank lines removed!!)

14 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Blow me, two pages in and he has nearly finished her already.

Might as well prop up the bar at the back then.

Burger anyone?

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) Can I have cheese on mine please? And some bacon?

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Yes please! And can I have fries with it? :)

K

Oh yes, and chips - I don't like those skinny things. :) 

13 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Aha! A real Lightning this time. I knew you'd see the light. Just make sure you don't build that other Lightning...   :)

I remember buying this kit and expecting it would be a similar quality to the Revell Eurofighter that I had just built. When I opened the box, I was shocked to find the old Hasegawa kit. I think this experience was what led me to join Scalemates so I could get idea of the provenance of a kit before I bought it.

So, you seem to be redefining the term "weekend kit." Sand off all those raised panel lines, they weren't on the real thing. And don't worry about scribing panel lines, they may have been on the real thing, but you can't see them in 1:72 scale. Especially when it's on your ceiling.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill - it may not be a great kit, but it is quick! :) 

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

Knowing I have a slightly-started one of these in the stash, I just played a round of 'find the kit' - a frightening undertaking, as despite various sales and trades, I still have so many - to confirm my recollection that it's plastic, is blue-grey, which I suspect would make it a Frog issue....

....annoyingly, despite trawling through numerous boxes that it might be sharing with another kit or two, I can't actually locate it - I remember intending to finish it using one or another sets of Modeldecal markings for grey machines, and I've still got those....

....the hunt will resume in due course - meanwhile, I'll keep watching this thread for useful pointers!

Thanks Andy - I hope you find it! :) 

Bits stuck on the bottom:

47597490551_9c77fe5ab9_c.jpg

on Flickr

Missiles separated from the gates:

40631254153_e8d5b83588_z.jpg

Those ejector marks - yuk. They are on the 'inside' but hey, even I have standards. Just not very high ones. They've been scraped and sanded a bit and stuck on sticks ready for painting.

Time to insert the pilot. Oh dear:

32655513427_9f0504a39b_n.jpg 47597978941_3cfdb0a172_n.jpg

He's got his legs crossed (??!!) and would only fit sitting to the side of the stick. Unbelievable! Luckily the chubbies fit:

47544910472_989e1dd5d8.jpg

… so I'll need to paint one up.

Cleaned off with IPA after filling the (small) joins, I just need to paint the pilot and mask the canopy then she's ready for primer:

46873822584_2e8bb0f423_c.jpg

• Like 11

Ced this was what I meant about the seat

Black metal sides and body with cushions in green

I'd just paint the side panels black and leave it alone

The Sea Vixen seat shown is very similar to that in the Lightning

P1010645.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah, thanks Bill. I get it now, just the cushions :) 

Transfers have arrived - the only camo scheme is for XR727 of No. 11 Sqdn. Guess which one I'll be doing then.

Shall I mask the canopy using the just arrived Molotow masking pens? Nah, better do some tests first…

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CedB said:

Shall I mask the canopy using the just arrived Molotow masking pens? Nah, better do some tests first…

Wise choice 👍 Incidentally, this will allow us to keep up with your pace... :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Haha 1

Nice quick work Ced.

Another couple of days and she will be finished.

Do you want an egg with that burger?

Simon.

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Yes please! And can I have fries with it? :)

Salt and vinegar?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

47544910472_989e1dd5d8.jpg

… so I'll need to paint one up.

And cut his head off and give him one with a proper brain bucket! (OK I know you won't see it upon the ceiling through the kit canopy, but remember those standards....!!)

K

• Like 3
  • Haha 2