Airfix AEC Matador - colours?

Troy Smith

I a club member with a stash problem  kindly made some of his problem my problem, for a very reasonable sum,  including the Airifx AEC Matador

A quick search turned up this

http://www.matadormodels.co.uk/tank_museum/zairfix_matador_1.htm 

The decals supplied are excellent, offering a vehicle from Second Army 1944/45 (The actual vehicle is photographed in P Hodges book,” British Military Markings 1939-1945”)  Airfix still insist on suggesting a scheme of overall green (M3) instead of the accurate Khaki drab/ black Mickey Mouse’s ear scheme which the vehicle looks good in.

which in turn found me this

matador-tractor-595x592.jpg

AEC Matador artillery tractor, named ‘Gazala’, towing a 5.5-inch gun through a village, 1 July 1944.

From the above , overall SCC15 Green?  I can't see any camo pattern

The MAFVA site articles are now members only,  so I can't remember what the canvas colours is?

also, this (on blinkin' pinterest) turned up

1942 AEC Matador Original Vintage Trucks

24d0e31b168d0caf6288ab0750150507--classi

Looks very much like RAF interior grey-green?   Or Eau De Nil?

I'd just like to build the thing,  but as I can, I'd quite like to paint it as accurately as possible, hence asking.

as this has just been re-issued as an Airfix Vintage Classic, maybe of wider interest.

TIA

T   

• Like 1

That photo certainly looks more like the single-tone of SCC15 than the earlier colours.  However I don't understand your comment about the MAFVA site articles, as I can still see them despite not being a member.  Mike makes no specific comment on the canvas other than the use of SCC14 Blue-Black for the disruptive colour - ie the upper surfaces.

My understanding is the the cab interiors should be the same colours as the outside camouflage, and suspect some kind of colour distortion due to the light/flash?  Or perhaps a restored vehicle?  It is certainly too intense a green for Eau-de-Nil.

• Thanks 1

@Mike Starmer  replied on  Missing Lynx

Basic vehicle wood and metal parts SCC.15 Olive Drab, canvas may be either dyed SCC2 brown or dyed SCC.15.  Both of the dyed colours are noticeably lighter than their respective paint colours. 

If the dyed canvas parts are supposed to be a lighter shade of SCC15 , I would suspect that Humbrol 159 would fit the bill .  Mike's simple Humbrol mix for SCC15 is 8 parts 159 to 1 part black , so using just 159 on the canvas would , in my opinion , give the right amount of contrast .

I too have read that "Gazala" should be SCC15 with SCC14 Mickey Mouse camo , but that photo certainly seems to be overall SCC15

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rs2man said:

I too have read that "Gazala" should be SCC15 with SCC14 Mickey Mouse camo , but that photo certainly seems to be overall SCC15

One of the reasons I posted by John,  in case there was something I was missing, as I couldn't see the SCC14 Micky Mouse either...

Regarding colours, I made up a Tamiya mix of SCC 15,  

Tamiya SCC.15 again, new mix

Prompted by the recent enquiry about using Tamiya XF-81 as the British Olive Drab I procured a bottle a short while back and after some extensive trials came up with a more accurate rendition of the much loved (or loathed ) colour. I am pleased to tell that this is easier to make that the previous mix. 5 prts XF81 +1 prt XF58 + 1 prt 71. Thisis a fraction lighter than the standard which makes life a little easier for many no doubt.

And am also going to try the Vallejo mix

15 (Olive Drab)

1pt 70888 Olive Grey [92] + 1pt 70924 Russian Uniform WWII [094] (Mike Starmer, 2009)

from

https://alliedarmour1940.wordpress.com/2016/10/01/vallejo-paint-mixes/

6 hours ago, rs2man said:

If the dyed canvas parts are supposed to be a lighter shade of SCC15 , I would suspect that Humbrol 159 would fit the bill .  Mike's simple Humbrol mix for SCC15 is 8 parts 159 to 1 part black , so using just 159 on the canvas would , in my opinion , give the right amount of contrast .

here has this

http://www.mafva.net/other pages/Starmer camo.htm

S.C.C. 15 Olive Drab.

Mix:  150 + 159 + 33 in ratio 5:5:2.  A reasonable match is 159 + 33 in ratio 8:1.  Dyed tilts can be represented by Humbrol 150.

In use:  Introduced April 1944 in A.C.I. 533 as new basic colour with or without S.C.C.1A or 14 disruptive paintwork as M.T.P.46 for operations in N.W.Europe and Italy .

Description:  Fresh olive drab, a very dark drab inclined towards green.  Unlike the US colour which it resembles when new, this fades green.  Noticeable contrast with black and less so with S.C.C. 1A.  Definitely NOT blue-green or like any Humbrol colours. 

adding in links as cross referenced posts are handy for others searching later.

cheers

T