1/72 Finemolds A6M Zero

czaralko

Precisely what advantage does it has over the tamiya kit which imo is one of the greatest 72nd scale kit ever made ?

1 hour ago, Basuroy said:

Precisely what advantage does it has over the tamiya kit which imo is one of the greatest 72nd scale kit ever made ?

Advantages? I am not sure, they both were similar to each other, in the Finemolds you could put the flaps down, have an option for the cooling flaps to be open and the wings could be folded for carrier purposes. These models are earlier versions of the type 21, so i dont think they have been kitted in 1/72 yet.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Basuroy said:

The upcoming Fine Molds kits are of the prototype Zero as well as the Type 11 Zero. Both types have never been kitted before in this scale ( except for the rare A+V resin kit or Gartex/Hasegawa resin+plastic combo kit of the Prototype).  The Type 11 was used in china & is the forebear of the type 21 that was used in Pearl Harbor.  Type 11 has a slightly different rear canopy and an airvent (?) in the wing.  The engine exhaust pipe was also located on a different cowling flap. Probably some other minor bits and pieces too (wing weights, IIRC ?).  Might be some differences in the wing panels too but don't quote me on that.

I'm looking forward to this 2-in-1 FineMolds set. If it's anything like their Type 21 & A6M3, these 2 upcoming kits will be awesomely detailed.  For a review of the Type 21:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2007/reviews/kits/a6m2zerofinemolds72bg_1.htm

EDIT: 

Correction: In 1/72, Type 11 was kitted by Hasegawa but I have that kit & I believe it was one of the later Type 11s with the later rear canopy that was fitted to all the later variants of the Zero:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10000678

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10192847

Yes, the Fine Molds set is expensive but IMHO, you get your money's worth when it comes to details. Judging by their other Zero variants, I've never seen such fine details in a 1/72 kit.  No aftermarket stuff needed.

Edited by Jackman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Andre B said:

And compared to Airfix?

/André

IMHO, Airfix new-tool has panel lines that are too deep, and canopy that is too thick (with frames too pronounced).

FM and Tamiya produce much finer replicas with the same amount of effort.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, oggy4u said:

Wow , that took a long time ! Quite expensive too .

8 hours ago, Jackman said:

Yes, the Fine Molds set is expensive but IMHO, you get your money's worth when it comes to details. Judging by their other Zero variants, I've never seen such fine details in a 1/72 kit.  No aftermarket stuff needed.

Is it really so expensive, considering "it" is actually "they" - two kits in one box for $36 US works out to (now I did this without my calculator, so please bear with me...) 18 simoleons apiece? Pretty good for a kit that's spoken of as highly as this one seems to be, I think. I'd buy a dozen at that price if someone released an equally-good 1/72 kit of <insert name of any WWII Russian fighter aircraft here but especially Yak-9 or  Yak-1b>.

John

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Andre B said:

And compared to Airfix?

/André

Airfix is missing the fact that the cowl is bulged when seen in plan view, that's the only significant error

• Like 1

15 hours ago, warhawk said:

IMHO, Airfix new-tool has panel lines that are too deep, and canopy that is too thick (with frames too pronounced).

FM and Tamiya produce much finer replicas with the same amount of effort.

I tought that the canopy was rather crisp according reviews I read. Also mentioned here at Britmodeller. Looks that this demands a double "double build" with those two kits from Finemolds, the Tamiya kit and the Airfix kit...

Cheers / André

Source: https://hlj.com/shizuoka-hobby-show-2019-sneak-peek?utm_source=HobbyLink+Japan+Newsletter&amp;utm_campaign

Fine Molds is ready to impress with their new kit celebrating the 80th anniversary of the first flight of the Zero-class Fighter! The kit includes parts to build two Zero Fighters, the Prototype 12-shi and Model 11, both featuring newly molded parts to accurately recreate these historical fighters. They're a must-have for any fan of the Zero, and we can't wait to see them in person at the show. 

https://hlj.com/1-72-scale-ijn-12-shi-carrier-based-fighter-zero-fighter-model-11-2-aircraft-set-fnmfp-34

fnmfp-34_0.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 2 weeks later...

I've been considering hacking up a Hasegawa kit to do the prototype, so I'll definitely get this boxing.

I already have the A6M3 magazine version of the FM kit and it is very nice, a bit more detail than the Tamiya kit but slightly less refined panel lines. Both kits are in a different league from the Airfix kit, and I would rate the Hasegawa higher than the Airfix kit as well since the panel lines are much better and it can be had at a similar price. Tamiya and FM are more expensive but you get what you pay for.

One thing I will say for the Airfix kit is that it builds very well. It's a pity Airfix have increased their prices so much, when it was a released a few years back the Series 1 boxing was only 6 quid and at that price it is a great buy. I recently got one at Aldi for a fiver, great value for money.

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 1

Comparing this sprues to FM's original A6M2b the older brother looks much, muuuuch better. This new one looks rather poor (interestingly no cockpit parts yet). I wonder what will it be like. But let's wait for A6M2a and see.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...