Tamiya Panzer Kampfwagen II Ausf. F/G - First build in 30 years

KaityUK

Nothing special, Tamiya Panzer Kampfwagen II Ausf. F/G, my first build in 30 years

My eyesight is not as good as it was, as you can see I've someone missed a spruce burr on the Idler Wheels, and some mold seams on the exhaust. Reading glasses are not good enough, going to need some dedicated glasses.

20190410_140019_BEST.jpg

20190410_132811_BEST.jpg

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, KaityUK said:

Reading glasses are not good enough, going to need some dedicated glasses.

try a brighter light, gets a smaller pupil,  easier to focus..... 

Depressing when you can't see close up what you could :( 

Still, always the unforgiving eye of the camera to allow you to check in comfort.  :rolleyes:

Welcome to the loony bin,  I'm sure some of the other inmates will be along soon. 

this maybe of some interest as a returnee...

hope of interest/use

cheers

T

Welcome to the Forum. 

Nice to see another Panzer II being built, this old Tamiya kit turns into a great replica looking forward to seeing this completed

Roger

Welcome to BritModeller, and welcmome back to model making.

As well as better lighting and more magnification, you can use your finger tip to feel seams and joined edges with the tip of your finger.

Wait for the glue to dry before trying this, or you may generate additional, undesired, textures.

My eyesight has got bad over the years so that without glasses, I can't even read newspaper headlines, so now I wear varifocals. But it's still not sufficient for modelling purpose, so I've got a magnifying lamp. In fact, I've got three, but I only use two of them. The most recent pair that I have are by Lightcraft and they are available from many outlets including Amazon. Prices start from about £22. I find both lamps invaluable for painting figures and doing any small work on my models. Spare tubes are also available. I think that the magnification is about two and a half times.

HTH's.

John.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome 🙂 really like these little tamiya PzII kits, there is some awesome reference images on line on how great these small kits can turn out.

this was my fist armour build after 30+ years... goes together well and makes a great kit... as to eyesight -try taking your glasses off? i am short sighted and find that that makes life easier on smaller/closer work....

looking forward to more of your work

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

this was my fist armour build after 30+ years... goes together well and makes a great kit... as to eyesight -try taking your glasses off? i am short sighted and find that that makes life easier on smaller/closer work....

Snap!.

Not keen on varifocals So I've a pair of distance glasses, A pair for 'computer use' and eyeball mk1 for close up.

The computer use ones are not normal readers which are optimised for around 300/500 mm but are set for around 1000 mm which allows screens to be placed in a better position.

Get yourself an Optivisor. Brilliant piece of kit it simply flips down over your glasses to give you extra magnification when needed. Beloved of watchmakers and many other modellers and crafters.

Optivisor on Amazon

spacer.png

You can choose various power lenses and add an LED light and even a magnifying loupe. Comfortable to wear and (if you get the US brand "Donegan") nicely made. Watch out there are lots of cheap rip offs which may, or may not, be a bit bobbins.

And you need to make sure you have good illumination of your work bench. Ikea do some nice cheap LED spots and work area lights.

Welcome back, prepare to have your wallet lightened. 😎

• Like 1