Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-25 Foxbat/MiG-31 Foxhound STGB Chat

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Just looking at the instructions for the AMK version, you have the 4 huge R-33's under the fuselage then a choice of R-73's & 77's under the wings. I'd prob go 73's on the outer and 77's the inner.

Thanks for your reply. It looks like the -31M was an advanced Prototype version, only 7 ever manufactured in the mid/late 80s, and production stopped with the breakup of the Soviet Union. It can take 6 R-37s under the fuselage. I'll have a look at the 77s and 73s on the pylons.

This brings me to another question, the sensitivity to having the Red Stars on it. I have no other option with this aircraft, as I said it was made in the mid 80s, and only has the Soviet Union scheme, so the red stars are my only option. Is that going to cause any issue on here? I don't want to offend anyone.

8 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Is that going to cause any issue on here? I don't want to offend anyone.

I think that we're as a collective will be able to disconnect the markings from the nation and / or ideology.

Personally I have built models of Luftwaffe and Condor Legion aircraft, aircraft based in our East Indies colonies, etcetera etcetera. That does not mean I subscribe in any way to the ideas behind the conflicts these aircraft were involved in. 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hook said:

I think that we're as a collective will be able to disconnect the markings from the nation and / or ideology.

Personally I have built models of Luftwaffe and Condor Legion aircraft, aircraft based in our East Indies colonies, etcetera etcetera. That does not mean I subscribe in any way to the ideas behind the conflicts these aircraft were involved in. 

Cheers,

Andre 

Whilst you are correct with what you say there is a huge difference between the examples you use (and others) and how some of feel about putting red stars on models, and that difference is that those conflicts/attitudes are part of history whereas the red star brigade are still at it and with the same barbarity that they always seem to bring to a conflict. And that is why myself and others will not be putting those markings on our models for the foreseeable future.

This a purely personal choice and I respect the rights and views of those who think differently and I would certainly not tell somebody they are wrong because of the choice they make, I am simply explaining why I, and others, feel the way I do.

🇺🇦

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

This a purely personal choice and I respect the rights and views of those who think differently and I would certainly not tell somebody they are wrong because of the choice they make,

Could not agree more. I will enter an Ukrainian Foxbat too in this groupbuild myself, on general principle, but would not hold it against anyone if they were to enter a Soviet one.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got me thinking, personal position on this is USSR is fine to me as that's history though I'm making an exception with a SU-33 repaint as the naval air wing is not involved in the war as far as I'm aware and indeed the markings predate the 2014 invasion, but otherwise I'm also no interest in doing any Russia aircraft that have been involved in the conflict, checked my kit and it has markings dated 2012 so may well have flown combat ops so I will make a note to do the USSR option if I do enter 

• Thanks 2

Ok seeing this has been brought up, as far as the insignias go, I/we will treat this like any other subject for any other country in any point in history.

It is all about the model we are building and the joy that goes with this process (thou I will happily exclude all Kitty Hawk models from that statement!!!!), politics has no bearing with model building!

I know some people now think of the Red Star  as now being similar to some other not so nice symbols from history, again this has no meaning in model building.

Some people will have definite thoughts or opinions on certain subjects, that is understandable and they are entitled to have them, and there are many places where they can discuss these thoughts freely, but please not in this STGB!!!

This build is all about the technically wondrous beasts that were and still are the MiG-25 & MiG-31 so lets keep it all about that please......... and to anyone building a Kitty Hawk MiG-25....you have my deepest sympathy!!! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for your comments everyone, I appreciate the different points made.

I too tend to view markings as historical accuracy rather than glorifying a particular regime, but I of course can understand it's a bit different when it's an ongoing event and not something 80 years ago.

The way I see it, with my particular model, the mid 80s Soviet markings are literally my *only* option, so it's good to know that no-one will be offended by me doing it. 

Thanks...

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

The way I see it, with my particular model, the mid 80s Soviet markings are literally my *only* option, so it's good to know that no-one will be offended by me doing it. 

..now if you had been silly enough to try and build a Kitty Hawk model.... :fight:

:D

• Haha 1

On 9/6/2023 at 9:56 PM, Planebuilder62 said:

Is it very difficult to make Belekos Mig 25P from an ICM 1/72 Mig 25PD?

That'd depend on how picky you are. The PD has a slightly stretched nose, an added IR sensor and some different panel lines around the nose; see here for some salient pointers.

Later PD's had a bullet style parabrake fairing as opposed to the "boat tail" earlier style. 

HTH,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

How could I miss this GB???

Ok, I missed all if them lately...

But I want to participate anyways... Iraqi fighter Foxbat from the 1st Gulf War? I mean Desert Storm or Iran-Iraq war?

Would be ICM I 1/48... 😀

Let's see how to start ASAP!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A quick note for alll who are building an Iraqi aircraft.

The wing insignia of the Iraqi aircraft, do not point straight forward but are canted about 30 degrees outwards. This comes from the "Iraqi Fighters" book by Tom Cooper. It applies to both upper and lower insignia. I hope that this is of some help to those who are about to soon apply decals.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

small and cosy GB, but big Jets that need lots of time....

lets hope all for a last minute extension so that some of the advanced builds get a chance to enter the gallery! (mine amongst them...)

:pilot:

Ok everyone, or fearless lord and master has given us an early Xmas present.....and no it's not a lump of coal!

We have  graciously given us a 2 week extension for the build!! :yahoo: 

So it will now end on the 17th of December, so best get to it everyone, lets try and get double figures in the gallery.....in fact I'm about to run off and do some masking and painting.......though probably best i get out of my PJ's first! :blush:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

well everyone unfortunately the end is nigh, in a few short hours this build will be over.

I think it has been a bit of a slog for some, I know it has been for me, too many other things happening!

There have been some great builds and some that unfortunately won't make the cutoff. But please keep at them would be great to see them all finished.

Thanks to everyone that joined in I hope you had fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ok the poll is up (and still wanting for my coffee....SHMBO better get a move on!!!!!) and will run for 7 days and will close right on the last minute of this year.

So please vote before you have too much ale and forget!

If I don't get back to this thread before tomorrow then I wish one and all a very happy and safe Christmas    ........and hope you all get lots of awesome models and not lumps of coal or a Kitty Hawk model for being naughty!  🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2