Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-25 Foxbat/MiG-31 Foxhound STGB Chat

On 1/6/2021 at 5:06 PM, Dansk said:

But...    Hmm... I’d miss the ridiculousness of the 1/48 and would almost definately regret a 1/72 buy...

Having built the ICM 1/48 one a couple of years ago Paul and can attest to the size of the bugger, they are huge.

I am deciding whether to drop down to 1/72 for this one too, ICM's PD interceptor is very tempting and will mean that the worlds supply of grey paint won't get used up in one GB.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 5:06 PM, Dansk said:

I’ve been debating this one unconclusively Rich:

Foxbat and Foxhound are both amazing, I love them. 

Schemes are limited but that’s ok.

The longest thing I’ve done to date was the 1/48 tomcat, It’s mahoossive. 398mm long and ‘just’ squeezes into my display cabinets with wings swept back and the pitot tube on the nose touching the glass sat at a 45 degree angle.

Now the 1/48 MiG-25 adds another 69mm to the length of that, and has wider wings! That thing is utterly huge and utterly awesome and It definately wont fit in my display cabinet.

Now I’ve only built a couple of 1/72 scale models over the last couple of years and they seem a little small scalewise to me. 

However ICM’s 1/72 MiG-25 looks to be super-detailed, of 1/48 standard and is 316cm in length so will fit nicely....

But...    Hmm... I’d miss the ridiculousness of the 1/48 and would almost definately regret a 1/72 buy... 

:hmmm:

You need a bigger display cabinet Paul. Problem solved :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Having built the ICM 1/48 one a couple of years ago Paul and can attest to the size of the bugger, they are huge.

I am deciding whether to drop down to 1/72 for this one too, ICM's PD interceptor is very tempting and will mean that the worlds supply of grey paint won't get used up in one GB.

If you get a slightly older boxing from ICM in 1/72 The BM version could be an option too craig, the boxing holds this scheme:

spacer.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Col. said:

You need a bigger display cabinet Paul. Problem solved :D 

It’s gonna be an expensive project this huge Mig-25 eh?

An expensive kit, a few AM goodies, 15 gallons of MRP’s finest, 15 gallons of primer, 2 bottles of TET, and a new display cabinet 😁

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Dansk said:

It’s gonna be an expensive project this huge Mig-25 eh?

An expensive kit, a few AM goodies, 15 gallons of MRP’s finest, 15 gallons of primer, 2 bottles of TET, and a new display cabinet 😁

Yes but think of the possibilities it opens up. You'll need more large subjects to justify all that extra space; 48th scale U-2 perhaps? Maybe an SR-71? Or even a range of MiG-25 versions and a -31 to complete the story...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Col. said:

Yes but think of the possibilities it opens up. You'll need more large subjects to justify all that extra space; 48th scale U-2 perhaps? Maybe an SR-71? Or even a range of MiG-25 versions and a -31 to complete the story...

This is good Man-maths/reasoning, I like it 👍😁

Edited by Dansk
  • Haha 1

am so glad I'm a bad influence on every one!!  :yahoo:

I don't what's up with todays generation......wimping out on going big!! Least the 1/48th MiG-25 is smaller than the MiG-31......(very slightly and they're only a wee bit bigger than an F-14) and I can get it to fit on my shelves! :D Plus I want a BM version as well.

...at least someone has mentioned lots of AM stuff!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dansk said:

The RU is awesome. 

Had a go at making one using the old Hasegawa kit back when it wasn't an old kit by crash moulding a second canopy to fair into a forward fuselage modified with balsa wood and lots of filler. Now ICM give us the opportunity to do it properly so who am I to argue with them :) 

28 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

:D

IMG_5253-L.jpg

I have 3 different sets already

What?! 3 sets! Haha.

They DO look amazing though.

Those Quinta sets might be the deal-breaker that convinces me 1/48 is the way to go - at least theres a long time to save up for the cabinet Col suggested, the quinta IP, the kit, the paint, the primer, the glue, the thinners, the other AM and a new larger spray booth. 

And If we’re going big then hell, an SU-24 / MiG 31 in a refuelling diorama like this could be the way to go in 1/48 😁spacer.png 

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

yeah I have sets for a MiG-29AS and my F-14A.

now that would be a cool dio!!! .... and I do actually have a 1/48th Su-24 i'm trying to build (its been 3 years so far and I'm still not even 1/2 way...it's that horrible trumpy model.....nearly unbuildable!)

though it would mean I'd have to buy another MiG-31, a BM this time.......though I just couldn't bring myself to build another Su-24.......life it too short for that!

10 hours ago, Col. said:

Whereas all this talk of MiG-25 has sent me to buy the new ICM 72nd scale -25RU kit. It's all @trickyrichfault of course :innocent:

The RU really is a great looking aircraft, totally unique.

And if you fancy building it sooner than later Col you could always build an Algerian or Libyan one for the Africa GB.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dansk said:

...And If we’re going big then hell, an SU-24 / MiG 31 in a refuelling diorama like this could be the way to go in 1/48 😁spacer.png 

Yes! Go on, do it, you know you want to :D Even in 72nd scale it'd be impressive.

41 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

The RU really is a great looking aircraft, totally unique.

And if you fancy building it sooner than later Col you could always build an Algerian or Libyan one for the Africa GB.

I'm currently trying to find a copy of Begemot's MiG-25 sheet in 48th to do my kit as an Algerian example for that very purpose but not having any joy thus far :( 

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Its been a very long time since I was referred to as "today's generation"!

Me too.
I think Rich thinks we are fresh 15 year-old whippersnappers.

I’m ok with that 😁

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Me too.
I think Rich thinks we are fresh 15 year-old whippersnappers.

I’m ok with that 😁

...he says from the old age pensioners cheap seats!   :rofl2:

As they say you're only as old as you feel..........just be careful in some countries that's a jail term! :D