Recce WIP - McDonnell Douglas Photo Recon Missile

helios16v

2 hours ago, helios16v said:

Smer (old KP molds) w/ a couple additions.  Yeah, Afghan theater Soviet recce squadron.  ^_^

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/sm-r-0855-suchoj-su-17-22-m3--956769

oh! nice!

if you need advice on how to prolong the build, let me know! plenty of experience (timewise ;) )  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, exdraken said:

I see !

Asia GB...hmmm 

A KittyHawk Su-17 then?

Afghanistan theater I may assume?

Interesting for sure :)

you should join us? I've now sort of convinced myself that I need to build one of my Fitters as well, as I have a nasty feeling the Su-15 maybe alot more work than I anticipated!

It'd be best to leave the HK Su-17 alone (same goes for the HB version as well), they have "issues"! There's a complete new underbelly for the HK version to help try and correct its inaccuracies (Coldwarstudios)! AS usual all the reviews rave about the models but sort of forget to mention the shape issues. There are a couple of good foreign websites that have done the full measuring/comparing stuff (I can't find them at the moment), but the underside shape is just all wrong. The M3's and M4's have a unique shape and if its not done right it just looks odd. Again KP just got it right all those years ago, it's showing its age but it's still the best out there.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2019 at 11:54 PM, trickyrich said:

I take it you guy's know about this guy and his decals??

http://www.hahen.de/epages/64625185.sf/en_GB/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=42302059&PageSize=50

There are some nice anniversary schemes there for the F-4F.

I used them for my F-86K, they're nice decals and the guy that produces them is awesome. I had an issue with the instruction sheets, e-mailed him and had the correct instruction sheet a few hours later!!! 

I'll back @trickyrich up. HaHen are the best decals I've ever used. By a mile.

• Thanks 1

Ok, road trips are out of the way for a few weeks...I think.  :lol:

Got the red stripe on the fuselage painted last night and look to move towards decaling this week.

• Like 2

Squadron & insignia decals in place.  These are working much, much better than the kit decals.  :D

48206990266_bbcefba547_z.jpg

Now to let these dry for a bit then start moving on to the plethora of stencils.....

• Like 4

Because I seem to like making more work for myself.....

I found the panels on the tail that seemed to be missing.  And along the way I somehow completely neglected to notice the nose scoops were missing until a couple days ago.  I tried convincing myself that if I hadn't noticed they were missing until now, I wouldn't miss them...but it kept bugging me enough I decided to bite the bullet even though I doubt I'll get the paint to match up very well.  The tricky bit with the scoops is that they need to be blended into the nose, so hopefully I don't have to tear up too much of the paint on the nose.  We'll see how things go tomorrow after the surfacer putty dries...

48219248476_067baf428c_z.jpg

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, helios16v said:

I tried convincing myself that if I hadn't noticed they were missing until now, I wouldn't miss them...but it kept bugging me enough I decided to bite the bullet even though I doubt I'll get the paint to match up very well.  The tricky bit with the scoops is that they need to be blended into the nose, so hopefully I don't have to tear up too much of the paint on the nose. 

I understand you completely Chris. Very nice work and a great paint job it would be a shame to leave the 'error' remaining as, if you're anything like me, it will annoy you greatly. Better fixed now while still in build mode than try and do it later. 

• Like 1

nice save!!! It's hard to tell from the photos with the colour but some subtle weathering and fading and it should all be hidden nicely. I do like the Phantom in Luftwaffe colours, maybe once I get my Israeli one out of the way I may have to do one.

Maybe Zoukei-Mura might have released their F/RF-4E/F by then!

It should get a bit closer too once I get the gloss coat applied.  Fortunately I found my mix ratios (by weight) so I "should" be pretty damn close.  Time will tell though, it's never over until it's over.  :lol:

• Like 1

No pics in this update, but got the gloss coat applied over the new areas.  Nose looks to match up pretty good.  Not so much on the underside, it's a little off.  Evidently I used a different color for the light grey than I thought I did.  It's close enough though that I'm just going to call it a "repair" area.  Plus it's not like you're going to see it while it's sitting on the shelf.

Next up...stencils.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Stenciling really is progressing.....honest.  It's just time consuming as I'm only doing a few at a time.  1, to keep from accidentally handing a freshly installed decal (they are everywhere!), and 2, to keep my sanity.  :wacko:

48362164041_1b5499d7a6_c.jpg

• Like 2

Picked up some Model Master Metalizer paints this weekend to experiment with once the decaling is complete.  Speaking of, the topside is complete (which is the largest percentage of them), only 3 more sides to go.  :doh:

• Like 1