Recce WIP - McDonnell Douglas Photo Recon Missile

helios16v

now that does look nice!!!

That's sort of why I now try to only use lacquer based acrylics, they dry so quick and the finish is tough. For complex schemes enamels are really hard work. The last one I did in enamel was the "Splinter MiG" and that was really hard work!

Arrr the Vigilante has arisen for the depths of the shelf of doom....or is that box? Nice!

They are huge, not quite the size of an F-111 (or Su-24... psst an update on that one may appear soon? ;)) but she is a big sucker. Nice to see work continuing with her... this may motivate Arnold @Arniec :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I may have been camping this weekend, but I tried to not let it hinder progress too much.  Plucked away at it for a bit until there was getting to be too much ash in the air from all the campfires.  Probably won't try doing this again, but it was worth a go to see how things went.

48092231478_cc167de9b3_z.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

But problems were encountered nonetheless.  The decals really didn't want to play ball.  Tough to remove from the backing sheet (even after 5 minutes in warm water), and even Micro-Sol didn't help then set down sufficiently (Micro-Set didn't even make them flinch).  I'll have to break out the hot decal solution (Mr Mark Setter) to see if they can be coerced into playing nice...otherwise I may just have to finish out the build minus squadron/insignia markings until I can find another set of decals.  Fingers crossed...but I'm not holding my breath.  If I do end up having to redo the insignias, I'm probably just paint the red line (which I would've preferred to do anyways, but didn't plan well enough ahead of time).

48092192376_fcc85c8078_z.jpg

• Like 4

And by a freak chance...a set of Microscale decals popped up on eBay.  Even have decals for RG 51!  Score.  They should be in my hands Monday. 

So at this point, I think instead of wasting time to try to get the kit decals to play nice, I'm just going to remove them and wait for the Microscale set.  And it'll give me a chance to paint the red line.  Nothing like last minute changes of plans.  :wicked:

• Like 3

now there's a man that's dedicated to his hobby/obsession! Goes away to enjoy the great outdoors and nature plus remembers to take his current build with him, then even goes shopping for AM bits!  :thumbsup:

Just make sure the Squirrels don't make off with anything! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So it was you who got the sheet? Glad I missed the chance to bid on them now :) Scored an unboxed Revell kit at a reasonable price and been looking for decals ever since.

Those kit decals look nasty and it'd be a shame to spoil all your hard work so far having to use them.

I take it you guy's know about this guy and his decals??

http://www.hahen.de/epages/64625185.sf/en_GB/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=42302059&PageSize=50

There are some nice anniversary schemes there for the F-4F.

I used them for my F-86K, they're nice decals and the guy that produces them is awesome. I had an issue with the instruction sheets, e-mailed him and had the correct instruction sheet a few hours later!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2019 at 11:54 PM, trickyrich said:

I take it you guy's know about this guy and his decals??

http://www.hahen.de/epages/64625185.sf/en_GB/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=42302059&PageSize=50

There are some nice anniversary schemes there for the F-4F.

I used them for my F-86K, they're nice decals and the guy that produces them is awesome. I had an issue with the instruction sheets, e-mailed him and had the correct instruction sheet a few hours later!!! 

I was aware of his products but thought the only sheets he had for the RF-4E were anniversary schemes until having a look through your link Rich :thumbsup:

On 6/22/2019 at 4:16 PM, trickyrich said:

I do like the anniversary ones, once i get my Israeli F-4's out of the way I may have to do a Luftwaffe F-4!

I need to find an excuse to build a naval F-4.  It should be a crime that out of the almost dozen models I've built...the only naval fixed wing bird I have built is a 1/48 Dauntless.  Sacrilege!  :frantic:

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, helios16v said:

I need to find an excuse to build a naval F-4.  It should be a crime that out of the almost dozen models I've built...the only naval fixed wing bird I have built is a 1/48 Dauntless.  Sacrilege!  :frantic:

excuse enough?

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/665-f-4-phantom-ii-stgb/

you can start seamlessly after this on this finished ;) 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, exdraken said:

excuse enough?

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/665-f-4-phantom-ii-stgb/

you can start seamlessly after this on this finished ;) 

I know...it's on my spreadsheet!  :lol:

Now I just need to find the time.....I've got a couple other GB builds that I need to get built first...then if there is time remaining I'd like to try to get to that one.  I've got a sneaking suspicion the Su-17M3 is going to be a time sink...but we'll see.

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

i'll just pretend I didn't see this one!!! :whistle:

It'd be a fine topic once you procure your recent find.  :wicked:

Got the decals off last night.  I sort of forgot that the deadline date isn't super critical for me as it's not eligible for the gallery as it's a WIP...which is good as that means I'm not needing to rush and cut corners to finish it by tomorrow night (leaving for a long weekend again this coming weekend).  Plus the mail hasn't restarted yet (was supposed to show up yesterday, but didn't) so I don't have my new decals in my hands yet.  Realistically I'm probably looking at a finish by the end of weekend after next.  That will allow me time for painting the red stripe, stencil decals, insignia decals, top coat, and maybe a little light weathering.  But I "can't" start on the Su until this one is clear of the hangar, so I need to push this one through.  I'm still waiting for the Su cockpit, so really no biggie.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Is there a Su-17M3 GB around? Or why the rush? ;)

Sure you will ginush it soonm looking foward to seeing it, and the Vigilante :devil:

'80s Asia GB.  :wicked:  And being a 1/48 Su-17 combined with my crawling build pace I'm probably going to need all the time I can muster.  :whistle:

That and I really want to see this one done.....not from the fact it's been such a long build for a little plane, but that I'm actually getting excited with how it's turning out so far.