Recce WIP - McDonnell Douglas Photo Recon Missile

helios16v

Originally I was planning on trying to build either an EC-135 or an EP-3C...but with my extremely chaotic work schedule and getting back into cycling I know the odds were great that it would end up being yet another model I've started for a GB but wouldn't get finished.  Sooo, I think I'll try to take this opportunity to play along (and forgo gallery participation) and try to get a couple stragglers knocked out.  Admittedly the RA-5C will probably be a tough ask, but I don't see much reason I can't get the RF-4E off the desk.  We'll see how this goes.  :D

RA-5C Vigilante - RVAH-6 - USN photo recon bird in service from 1963-1979 when it was replaced by the RF-8 Crusader.  This model is being built as a commemorative build in memory of a member on another forum, so there will be some markings on the model that were not on an actual aircraft.

DSCF2080.JPG

RF-4E Phantom II - RG 51 - Luftwaffe photo recon bird in service from 1971 to 1994.  This build was initially started for the '70s NATO/Warsaw GB here @ BM.

Original thread: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235020438-rg-51-rf-4e-phantom-ii-172-fujimi/

RF-4E_filler_and_canopy_install.jpg

Happy modeling!  🍻

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 3

Welcome along and with a couple of beasts as well......particularly suitable name for the Trumpy Vigilante, you're a very brave man!

I really don't have an issue at all with some of these over 25% builds joining in. They can't go into the gallery but it's a perfect chance to make some progress on them and to join in on the fun.

As you say the Phantom should be a breeze to finish, the Vigilante.......now that'll be interesting. You'll be able to give Arnold some company with his build.

Good luck with these, hopefully this will be the place to see them finally clear of the work bench.....ready for it to be full again! :D

• Like 2

I bought a Trumpy Vigilante when it first came out. When I realised how big it was and the work required it became someone else's bargain in the Telford swap shop. 

I can imagine it's hard to keep motivation. Good to see you got further than me anyway. 

Colin 

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear you're getting back into the cycling again, it's kept me sane on many occassions, as well as seeing your RF-4E getting some attention again :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Actually picked the RF-4 up for a bit and got the canopies masked.  Also applied a little bit more putty to a couple areas I wasn't completely happy with.  I really need to just buck up, quit piddling around with it, and paint the damn thing and get it off the desk.  🤣

RF-4E_Canopy_Mask.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Sat down this morning w/ a cup of coffee, threw on some Boston "Third Stage" and one thing led to another.  Got a bit more clean up done.  Fittted the tanks.  Shot some primer.  I think all the extra time I've spent fiddling w/ cleaning up seams is going to pay off in the end.  It may turn out looking halfway decent if I don't get in a rush to finish it.  Also nabbed some stencil decals off evilBay...because you can never have enough fiddly little bits to drive you crazy.  :frantic:

Still need to clean up a few panel lines w/ the scriber before paint...but it's definitely getting closer.

47086194304_cb3e6eaf59_z.jpg

32931356147_5c37713552_z.jpg

47875618861_24bca7f15e_z.jpg

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Col. said:

You are doing nothing to help me avoid spending money on an RF-4F kit Chris! :lol: 

Just doing my part.  😜

You can never have too many Phantoms.

47087634934_950755d660_z.jpg

• Haha 1

I would have been very annoyed if I'd seen the 1/48th Hasegawa IDF F-4E in that stash!!! I'm searching high and low for one at the moment!! I'm after one for the Tiny Wars GB.... may just have to go with either an IDF RF-4E or F-15I..... not that my shelves can take anymore models!

See another of Revell's enormous and flimsy boxes.......it's a woodier it hasn't collapsed under all that weight!

• Haha 1

There was only stuff stacked on it long enough to take a pic.  🤣

And in other news...there is paint on the underside of the RF.  :analintruder:

And I just ordered some metal pitots for it.....(and the Su-7 & Su-17 while I was at it to get free shipping).

Edited by helios16v
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2019 at 1:24 AM, Greg Law said:

I wouldn't mind doing the first WWII American jet. 

P-59 or P-80 ? Some debate which is the first ? Personally i lean towards the P-59 Airacomet. I need both of them and an F-89 to finish off my early USAF jets. 

Dennis

A little color.  It will be interesting once I get the masking off.  I may have bungled this up.  Oh well, you never get better if you don't try to experiment here and there.  

47105902804_b952fab5d3_z.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

P-59 or P-80 ? Some debate which is the first ? Personally i lean towards the P-59 Airacomet. I need both of them and an F-89 to finish off my early USAF jets. 

Dennis

It would be the P-80. 

• Like 1

Gave @Col.a sneak peek last night as this build was originally featured in the '70s NATO/Warsaw GB.  It looks a bit better than I had feared.  Still have a couple areas I want to try to fix before I mask and paint the grey.  Still hope to have it in color this weekend.  We shall see, but the odds are good as it's a holiday weekend and I really don't care for large crowds of people.  :wacko:

47895281491_09545d80fd_z.jpg

• Like 6

Wonderful work Chris, Norm 72 splinter camo is the bolloxx! I've used those Airdoc decals before, they are superb, if you can 'enjoy' applying stencils, it doesn't get much better than those!

David

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thought the grey was already on there, then realized that was your undercoat ? Shes looking great cant wait to see her all done up with markings. 

Dennis 

Yup, trying to get some practice in w/ pre-shading & highlighting.

• Like 1

gee she's looking very nice! Looks like you've gotten the pre-shading just about right as the Green looks awesome.

Can't wait to see her in her full colours!

• Thanks 1

In color.  Need to do some touchups this evening, then hopefully get it wrapped in clear for safer handling.  The aggravating part to keeping paint thin...it's very easy to bugger it up just by handling it.  :doh:

47930233152_7305a1bb75_z.jpg

• Like 5