Chavasse VC & Bar

HL-10

Captain Noel Chavasse of the Royal Army Medical Corps was the only man to be awarded the Victoria Cross twice during World War One.

The second time was unfortunately a posthumous award.

Tommy's War produce excellent figures from WWI and they have released a figure of Captain Chavasse, assisting a wounded soldier.

They are beautifully cast in grey resin with some really sharp details.

The figures were a joy to paint.

I have displayed the finished pair using a shell fragment which I found near Pozier on the Somme.

CHAV1.jpg

CHAV2.jpg

CHAV3.jpg

CHAV4.jpg

CHAV5.jpg

This is the shell fragment just after I found it.

It was lying in the plough soil.

CHAV6.jpg

Noel Chavasse is buried in the Brandhoek New Military Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery, Ypres, Belgium.

CHAV7.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Angelo.

• Like 18

I have been considerably moved by this. My father, who was himself a military doctor in WW2, had a book The Chavasse Twins, when I was a youngster, I recall him telling me about Noel with great admiration but I never read the book, so I've googled some details & am gobsmacked at the valour showed so long ago, I'll be digging the book out, I think I have it, & reading up on this. Your dio is superb & mounted on the shell fragment like that is extremely fitting. 👍

Steve.

• Like 3

Nicely painted and presented. The shrapnel sets it off nicely. 

He’s a bit of a local hero in Liverpool and even has an area of public open space named after him (and his brother) in the heart of the city centre. 

Trevor

• Like 3