Vallejo Metal Colour query.

Evil_Toast_RSA

Quick question for those who use the above.

What would you recommend for the finishes below? 

NMF: Thinking Aluminium & Dark Aluminium. What about the 3rd option, Matt Aluminium or Duraluminium? Something else? 

High Speed Silver: White Aluminium sounds like a good idea, but open to suggestions here. 

Please note that due to my geographic location and my desire to not get beaten to death by the wife, ALCLAD is out of the question. I only have access to Humbrol (so much awful since I last used them in the 90's), all ranges of Tamiya paints (yes, enamels and lacquers too) and Vallejo (my preferred choice). 

Thanks

I'd make Duralumin your third choice and you might find in use it ends up as your first choice :) 

I've used white aluminium for both High-speed Silver and on a MiG-15 and nobody said anything uncomplementary about it :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure not going to suggest other paints as IMHO this range is one of the best around in acrylics. Vallejo's Metal Colors are very easy to use and the final result is very nice.

For an NMF finish I'd also go with duraluminum as third choice. These paints can be mixed and with those 3 you can reproduce really most areas on a natural metal aircraft.

If your subject features particularly dark panels, like those seen around the exhaust of jet types, you may ad a darker shade like Magnesium or Steel

• Like 1

I'm a fan of their dark aluminium and duraluminium. The aluminium was rather bright for my taste but I think that's the point - its a very subjective topic. I mainly do WW2 planes if that's relevant.

I'd also recommend following their advice and use a gloss black primer. From experience I can say the Ultimate range works well.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting video, it is a technique that I've seen before but it's explained very well here, thanks for sharing !

Still, I feel that vallejo's Metal Colors are a much easier and quicker solution and the final effect is as good, don't know if I would leave them for this technique

• Like 1