DC-8-63 Flying Tiger Line Ancient Revell 1/144 kit

The DC-8 is among my favourite airliners and I built up quite a collection of thos old Revell kits,both the short 10-50 series as well as the longer -61.

I always wanted to do a Flying Tiger DC-8-63 and Revell released a kit with those decals some decades ago.

It was labeled as DC-8-61/63 althoug Revell never included the engines for a -63,so you always ended up with a -61.

I bought this kit from a fellow modeller,but the African Safari Airways boxing,and then searched a long time for an original Revell decal set for the Flying Tger DC-8.

After almost one year of search,I managed to track one set down on Ebay that was in pristine condition.

The only thing missing were the correct engines for the -63 and after some more months I finally got a resin set from contrails and the build was on.

To fit the engines on the wings,its nesessary to sand away the remaing mounts on the upper wing and extend the leading edges.

The rest of the build is straight forward and the kit fits quite well given its age.

Painted with Revell metallics using different shades and some silver decal stripes to slightly highlight the fuselage sections gives some added details.

The rest is done with a DC-8 detail set from Avigraphics,which is sadly no longer available.

As I built most of my DC-8s gear down,I wanted this one gear up as it shows more the elegant lines of this classic Douglas airliner.

Hope you like it.

20190409-193719.jpg

20190409-193705.jpg

20190409-193736.jpg

20190409-193842.jpg

And with something else...Eastern Airlines DC-8-53 in "formation flight"

20190409-193956.jpg

20190409-194028.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful Alex! I like the different tones you've achieved with the metallic finish. I always like this Flying Tigers livery.

I wonder why Revell haven't rereleased their DC8s for a long time? They look quite accurate to me.

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

Lovely models Alex. I've always had a soft spot for the Revell DC-8s and you've certainly got great results.

To answer Ian's point, I suspect the non-reissuing of the Revell DC-8 has much to do with the availability of the Minicraft kit. Personally I think the Minicraft DC-8 is over-rated and it suffers from peculiar curved wings which are difficult to fix. I'd be delighted if the Revell kit was reissued.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Beautiful Alex! I like the different tones you've achieved with the metallic finish. I always like this Flying Tigers livery.

I wonder why Revell haven't rereleased their DC8s for a long time? They look quite accurate to me.

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you Ian.

Yes its a shame.It would be nice if Revell would consider a re-issue despite the Minicraft kits.I really like them and I pick them up every time I see one at an affordable price.Another one is currently under repair and renovation,but it will probably take some time to finish it.

I received it part started and in a terrible state

Bravo Alex!!! This is absolutely beautiful! Job well done. I remember the old Revell DC-8-61 well...I had two or three of them; even converted on into a -71 using the after market crude resin engines from someplace I don't remember...way before Braz or any of the  superior resin providers we have now. And the windows...recessed...crying to be filled. I remember the Revell model as being relatively easy to assemble, parts fitting well, and being a good rendition. I wish Revell would re tool the kit and reproduce it again as they have the 747s. I am very partial to the DC-8-61, for some unknown reason...I think its just a beautiful airplane. To my amazement, I opened up the RFI section this morning and THERE at the top was your beautiful 8. I am about to begin a Minicraft DC-8 which I will finish as a -61. Still doing some research and gathering materials to finish her well. Still am bewildered to see your fine model here as I begin mine. Inspirational! :penguin:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Bravo Alex!!! This is absolutely beautiful! Job well done. I remember the old Revell DC-8-61 well...I had two or three of them; even converted on into a -71 using the after market crude resin engines from someplace I don't remember...way before Braz or any of the  superior resin providers we have now. And the windows...recessed...crying to be filled. I remember the Revell model as being relatively easy to assemble, parts fitting well, and being a good rendition. I wish Revell would re tool the kit and reproduce it again as they have the 747s. I am very partial to the DC-8-61, for some unknown reason...I think its just a beautiful airplane. To my amazement, I opened up the RFI section this morning and THERE at the top was your beautiful 8. I am about to begin a Minicraft DC-8 which I will finish as a -61. Still doing some research and gathering materials to finish her well. Still am bewildered to see your fine model here as I begin mine. Inspirational! :penguin:

Thank you very much.

Yes,it would be nice to see the Revell DC-8s turning up again.Except for the landing gear ,they are very nicely done.The shorter DC-8-10 kits of Revell even had the possibility of showing the engine as the cowlings could be removed.They were simple but I liked that option.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

I love the way you've presented a classic airliner Alex.  I've something of a soft spot for this airframe as it's the only one of the early 4-jets I've ever flown on.

Mike

Thank you very much Mike.

I had the opportunity too to fly on the DC-8.

Both times with the sadly defunct African Safari Airways. First ride ever was on their DC-8-55 and years later on the DC-8-63.

Great and unforgettable flights on a supperb airliner and airline

• Like 1

Love those two . Great job . Didn't Revell used to do a SAS DC-8-30 or -50 in the 60s ? Those Eastern Colours stood out from the rest when they came out .

A Flying Tiger DC-8-63F , issued by FTL postcard sold for $760 a month ago !

Another great model from you, well done !

• Thanks 1