Boeing 737-100 Singapore Airlines Eastern Express 1/144

The first real 737-100 injection molded kit also comes from Eastern Express.

Their quality improvement compared to their earlier kits is outstanding,although their kits are usually in short run quality but they are much more accurate and better to build than most of their older models.

The 737-100 belongs already to the newer offerings,recessed panellines and fine details are there although still a bit rough in some spots but the overall quality is fine.

The build itself is a bit tricky in some parts and filler is needed frequently,but careful preparation can be a great help.

I compared the fuselage of the EE kit with an Airfix and its really almost 1cm shorter than the latter,so you end up with a real -100.

The only mistake EE did,are the engines.They are too long and clearly belong to the -200.

As the Airfix 737 has the shorter engines,I just switched them and smacked the Airfix engines on the EE kit.

The EE engines will also fit on the Airfix kit with some slight modifications.

Eastern express overdid the detailing on the landing gear with far too many tiny parts,so I decided to use the front gear and al the wheels from a Revell 737-800.

With some adjustments these parts fitted quite well.

The Singapore Airlines decals are from MACH 1,they seem to be very old but they still worked perfectly.

The instructions show where to trim the stripes on the shorter fuselage.They were designed to fit on the Airfix 737 kit,but the instruction has a 1:1 stripe replica wich outlines the spots for the cuts to be made.

The windows are from a 707 and 727 detail set,but I will probably replace them with AA realistic windows in some time.

All paints are Revell and Testors enamels and the wings are slightly weathered with HUmbrol graphite powder.

Hope you like the Baby Boeing

20190409-193317.jpg

20190409-193330.jpg

20190409-193351.jpg

20190409-193303.jpg

20190409-193411.jpg

• Like 25

A beautiful result Alex. Believe it or not, I actually built an Airfix 737 with these decals back in the mid 1980's! These Mach 1 and Jet Set decals are actually very nice considering their age. They were screen printed with very opaque inks. They were a Puerto Rican outfit, but I don't know who the owner was. I built their Philippine A-300 also and it came out very nice. I loved these decals because they produced a lot of foreign subjects. Your build brings back many good memories. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Hi Alex,

You've produced another winner! I really like this livery it's clean and fresh.

Glad it wasn't too much of a struggle to build, there are a few modellers with scare stories about EE kits!

I'm surprised how dumpy it looks compared to the -200.

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

Well done Alex. I salute anyone who can make a good model from an Eastern Express kit and you've made a little beauty. It's great to see a 737-100 in a livery that isn't Lufthansa! It's often forgotten that MSA operated the 737-100 and their aircraft passed into the hands of Singapore Airlines.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Well done Alex. I salute anyone who can make a good model from an Eastern Express kit and you've made a little beauty. It's great to see a 737-100 in a livery that isn't Lufthansa! It's often forgotten that MSA operated the 737-100 and their aircraft passed into the hands of Singapore Airlines.

Thank you very much.

They are a little challenging but with careful cleaning of all parts and preparation,they are nice to build.EE just likes to overdo it with detailing esp. on the landing gear but otherwise they have improved a great deal

Gorgeous looking little thing! I am rather fond of 737s and having been born in Singapore I might be just a tad biassed, but that really is a lovely build!

ATB
Rick

• Thanks 1

Well done, Alex! I'm not even aware that SA has operated 737-100. Despite the current livery seems prettier than the original, this classics built is a legendary one. 

Cheers,

Chris

• Thanks 1

Nice result - on the basis of which I have just ordered one of these kits. I've gone for the Lufthansa scheme as they were a common sight at Dublin Airport when I was a teenage plane spotter in the 1970s. I actually liked that scheme, especially the polished metal undersides which were becoming rarer in the 70s as airlines moved to painting the undersides of their aircraft light gray.

• Like 1

A gorgeous 737 in a brilliant livery - smashing build that looks so perfect

The basic Singapore livery is one that I have always liked; one of their 777's flew over me on the M4 this morning which left me thinking just the same at the time - well done.

• Thanks 1