Lockheeds in civilian style

rob Lyttle

While I'm in the zone, I tried out on the Tailplanes. 

The horizontals were fine with the straight leading edge. 

The Verticals though.... 

I thought I might be able to apply a strip along the front edge and then fold it back on both sides and just deal with any folds or wrinkles. 

It was asking too much of the material. 

So, plan B was using the fin parts of the MPM kit as a template on the black decal paper, I cut 4 equal strips with the correct curve and slid them on. 

The ends can be trimmed later when the decals have set, and any gaps on the front edge can be painted in black if necessary. 

IMG_20190608_220027

IMG_20190608_215802

Just the little bottom ones to do. 

I can see me using the method again. 

In fact I've got a Lufthansa DC3 with some slightly dodgy black de-icer boots on the tail that could be getting some of this. 

And for black reg lettering, I think any of the straight line letters could be made up with strips of this. 

So, for example, I could have tried for G-AFGN with  strips to make up the N. 

It would be any of the curved letters that would be hard to get right. 

And then there's colour sheets... 👉😛

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm counting the Airfix L14 as basically done, and in the gallery. 

So I'm looking in the other boxes and making plans. 

I've made a start on the MPM /revell Hudson, and there's no doubt it's a big improvement on the old Airfix job. 

The main issue, and it's well documented, is the main fuselage joint up front. 

Revell even point it out in the instructions. It may be that omitting the glazed nose parts and all the gubbins inside will be an advantage, or may be worse for lack of internal structure. 

IMG_20190618_215212

There's a piece for blanking off the turret, and I've split it lengthways and glued the 2 parts into the respective fuselage halves. 

This is an attempt to get the best featureless joints rather than hoping for the best later with one piece. 

What really interests me about these planes, and Lockheed's key to success, is the big Fowler flaps. 

And I'm going to give it a go. 

IMG_20190618_214303

I'll post up a few pictures from the Walkaround section, for your reference and mine, when I get the chance. 

• Like 1

It's nice to see the L-14 in the Gallery Rob.  

It's a good trick with the de-icer decals.  For some reason I find painting de-icing boots a real chore, so I might have a go at using decal next time.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Although the instructions say fit the main landing gear legs into the nacelle in the lower wing moulding before proceeding, I've established to my satisfaction that the legs CAN be easily slotted in later. 

So, with a little rear wing-spar in place, assembly can proceed.... 

IMG_20190619_211824

Depth of spar is critical though, to avoid messing up the joint to the fuselage. 

IMG_20190619_211846

The flaps themselves are undergoing "phased" development 😇

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Afraid I'm falling way behind schedule with my Lockheed build sequence, but I can get the Connie finished up for sure. 

She's basically waiting for the flaps and prop fittings. 

No excuses.... I've been sidetracked! 

Here we are.... 

IMG_20190712_213225

The main flaps are fine - if you recall, they're the original kit pieces augmented with a styrene strip and milliput. 

Flipped over and swap sides so the "good" side is on show. 

The small inner flaps are scratched from poly sheet and feathered to a trailing edge. 

IMG_20190712_213250

The prop discs were already cut and ready to go, but I lost one, so here I am cutting another... 

IMG_20190712_211023

Just steady and repeated turns get through eventually. Too much pressure and the plastic tool twists and alters the dimension. 

So, one more prop and she's ready for the gallery. 

So.......... 

Here's the culprit lurking in the background...... 

IMG_20190712_213743

Hasn't even got WINGS 🤭!!! 

• Like 1

Ive been keeping tabs on this Rob. Excellent work on the Connie. I would love to build a connie, super connie and Batcat someday but will need a hangar to store them. Your diversion looks interesting ? Alfa, Ferrari, or Maserati ? The red gives it away as italian but not exactly up on my older racers ?

Dennis 

• Like 1

That's the Alfa Romeo 159  "Alfetta"  driven by Farina and Fangio etc, winning the F1 season in '50 and "51 

Mistercraft kit, it's a rebooted SMER item, and it seems that the original tooling was by MERIT, which means that the kit is almost contemporary with the car!! 

It's been a great distraction and it's not over yet. 

I got to come up with some solution for the spoked wheels. 

• Like 1

Shamed into action by the little revell MPM L14, I've picked up where I left her, languishing in the box! 

Looking at dates and obligations, I don't think I'll make the group build deadline with this one, but I'll be carrying on regardless. 

My usual method then, for a foiled fuselage with Windows, is foil on the sides, then cut out the apertures and fit the transparencies. 

Top and bottom of the fuselage can be foiled after the sides are joined and sorted. 

IMG_20190713_232414

And I've got a wing done as well! 

Our annual club show tomorrow and several traders in attendance too..... 

Who knows what I'll pick up 🤔

• Like 1

Right, I took a run at the MPM Hudson bits to sort out the fit and get the main components assembled. 

I didn't fuss with the interior - the passenger door stays closed and the canopy on this one will have a metal roof so there won't be a lot on view. 

I finished the windows fitting using pva glue to try to keep them clean and clear, popped in the floor pan with the wing braces, and glued the underside and the top of the fuselage up to the cockpit. 

Small adjustments made as I held the sides, and left the nose area to do it's own thing. That can be sorted later. 

The Tailplane is already sorted and ready to go on. 

IMG_20190721_221408

The elevator has quite a bit of up applied and the underside revealed, so the space in the middle of the elevator, usually filled with the fuselage tail end, needed filling. 

IMG_20190721_221357

So that went on. 

I thought about foiling this before fitting but I had a hunch there might be a bit of filling and joint-taming to do, so I went for assembly first. 

I wasn't wrong...! 

Then a wing. 

IMG_20190721_221753

Some careful monitoring and adjustments required with this, and patience for holding. 

IMG_20190721_221803

This is the opposite of "a positive fit". 

I've noticed that the MPM Lodestar has the same wings and method of assembly but WITHOUT even the dihedral brace part to assist! 

I can tell you now that I'll be taking steps to create an accurate positive fix for those. 

Well, the second wing went on once the first had settled. 

That was getting quite emotional too, until I realised the protruding brace on this side was messing with the fit. 

Some deft work with nail clipper on the offending plastic and on again. 

And hold..... 

Is there a Patron Saint for plastic modellers?? 

So, I'm up to here.... 

IMG_20190721_225904

The nose has quite a skew on it now but once this lot has set I'll address that issue. 

I've just persuaded the Tailplane into alignment with the wings and hopefully it'll stay there.... 

Saint Polymer, perhaps?? 😇🙏

• Like 2

This looks a bit harsh, but it is working. 

IMG_20190722_215642

And it's coming straight! 

Top seam done already, and high hopes for the one-piece nose. 

We'll see..... 

Later.... 

IMG_20190723_000036

Not perfect, but it's on! 

Yayy.... 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition
  • Like 1

All sealed up and ready for foil 

IMG_20190723_180353

That spacer in the top seam in front of the windscreen is definitely needed. 

Revell flag up the issue and specify 1mm.

I put a strip on each side and then reduced them in situ so they matched up face to face. 

Better do battle with foil on some of these compound curves.... 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There's been a fair bit of progress on the 2nd Super Electra, but she isn't going to make the deadline. 

I'm undecided about the decor options and there's no point in getting rushed. 

I've been keeping my original Twins thread updated and I'll complete the job on there. 

I'll post on a link for anyone who follows the build. 

Where I'm up to is this.... 

IMG_20190803_201516

Engines and cowlings fitted, and u/c gear on 

The Fowler flaps and runners are getting there, 

IMG_20190803_201427

Generally a much better bunch of plastic to be working with, although there are some fit issues with the fuselage front, and "vagueness of assembly " for some major components. 

IMG_20190803_201824

IMG_20190803_201459

I'll try and get a link on.... 

😎

• Like 1

That's where the Lockheed action will be taking place. 

Great group effort, by the way! 

Many excellent results in the gallery, although not nearly enough Civilian aviation represented. 

Where are all the big, beautiful Connie's?? 

Never mind, good effort all around! 

Let's hear it for Lockheed! 

👏👏👏👏👏💐👏🏆💐🌤️😎👍🎉🎉