Soviet insignia red - paint suggestions

-Ian-

Hi

For my next build I'm thinking of a Hobbyboss Mig 3 which has been in my stash for about 3 years. I like the look of the winter camo scheme which calls for a red spinner, I presume this should be the same shade of red as the national markings. 

Can anyone suggest a paint which is a good match, my preference is for Gunze Aqueous or Vallejo Model Air/Model Colour? If there aren't any good options in these ranges I do also have an extensive collection of old Humbrol enamels lurking at the bottom of a cupboard as a backup.

Isn't the solution to look for a red that matches the decals you've got?

I doubt that the Soviets cared about the exact shade of red they used in the stress of 1941-43.

Edited by 3DStewart

For the red stars on my Mig 3 I used Xtracolor X14 Red Arrows Red, however  as mentioned above you would probably be better matching the red with the kit decals, have a look here for more info.

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/mig3/mig3.html

Cheers

Dennis

The Russians may not have cared about the shade of red they used, but they wouldn't have had any wide range available to choose from.  Apart from the normal military approach to standardising such things, and the specific demands of flight requiring specific paint qualities, there would be matters of 5-year plans with specific production constraints, and the further constraints of supply sources.  I suspect (without checking) that Sovereign Hobbies will have a suitable colour in their Colourcoats range.

• Like 2

Hello Ian,

I've seen bits and pieces of Soviet WWII aircraft here in Finland. We also have one restored P-39Q Airacobra in original paint. Based on these observations I would suggest Humbrol enamel 60. Insignia Red (Hu 154?) is too "deep red"; you need a bright red.

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses everyone, trying to match against the decals rather than the shade used on the real thing makes sense, obvious now you mention it. I already have humbrol 19 and 60 along with gunze aqueous H3, if none of those work I'll experiment with mixing.

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 02:13, 3DStewart said:

Isn't the solution to look for a red that matches the decals you've got?

I doubt that the Soviets cared about the exact shade of red they used in the stress of 1941-43.

The painters in the aircraft factories may not have cared about the red they painted on, but the paint factories worked from official paint samples that were provided to them, and they did care about matching the colours of those samples. The Soviets never had an 'anything goes' attitude towards their colours, even in the early days of the Great Patriotic War (now camouflage patterns was another matter, at least in the first six months). If anything, since all their colours came from the same big 'company' (the Communist Party of the Soviet Union), there was more standardisation than there would have been with, for example, American aircraft, which could and did use different paint companies for their colours.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Clarifiction added.
  • Like 4