This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Maxwellphillips

Homebrew Airbrush Cleaner Question

Been looking around forums and videos at how people make their own airbrush cleaner, and I've seen a lot of people use Windex/Windolene for its ammonia content. Just wondering how feasible it would be to use something like Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF, or adblue etc), as that is basically just ammonia and water? It makes sense in my head at least... 

I guess it might also be useful for removing Klear/Future/Floor Polish/whatever it's called at this moment. 

I'm not planning on using it myself, as I don't own a diesel car, but would be interested if anyone else has tried it and had success? 

Interesting, I hope someone has follow-up intel, as I need to find as am many home brew ideas as possible. I live in the Philippines, and most of my equipment must be ordered online, with shipping and duties, it makes most things cost prohibitive. Maybe we could start a pinned, with everything from brush cleaners, thinners (brand/type specific) as it is difficult to find all the tricks in one thread/topic stream.

Oh mountain top masters, please make it so!

Could be done like this :

Home brews for all your modelling needs

Homemade airbrush cleaners as a sub-menu

Home made thinners by paint company/type etc.

I let the higher ups sort out the details and break downs, as I am very new here and still have yet to sort out how things work, but I am getting there!

Anthony

Your probably aware that  ammonia can damage the coating on your airbrush, though because you are only cleaning it and not soaking it for a long period it probably will not effect it.

Anyway for cleaning acrylic paint from my airburshes I use the following mixture:

25% Butyl Glycol

5% IPA

70% Deionized water

I usually add a few drop of Glycerin to it as well. This mixture will strip fully cured acrylic paint.

On 14/04/2019 at 13:24, Tbolt said:

Your probably aware that  ammonia can damage the coating on your airbrush, though because you are only cleaning it and not soaking it for a long period it probably will not effect it.

Anyway for cleaning acrylic paint from my airburshes I use the following mixture:

25% Butyl Glycol

5% IPA

70% Deionized water

I usually add a few drop of Glycerin to it as well. This mixture will strip fully cured acrylic paint.

I use a really rough mix of isopropanol and deionised water, but I struggle to get dried paint off, normally leaves a little ring around where the surface of the paint was, even if I clean it as soon as I finish painting. Although a little bit of neat ipa tends to sort it out. What's butyl glycol for? 

The BG is the stuff that does the real work - it's what strips the paint. I read somewhere it's what Vallejo ( and probably others ) use in their AB cleaner.