Another Sabre question - paint colours

RidgeRunner

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I'm not finding any refs to fs 30102, is it perhaps a superceded colour not in the current range?

Steve.

Does this help or does it confuse? ;)

Martin

• Thanks 1

Definitely helpful Martin, thanks. I'm not sure why my googling didn't"t show anything, even Colorserver was found wanting. It strikes me as being a similar shade to Dark Slate Grey or even RLM02. It would be a brilliant scheme to do a Sabre in. 

Steve.

Still not finding any mention of 30102, I went back to Jamie's thread @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies & while he has labeled that photo as 30102 for MAP light green, the FS colour card shows 34102 which shows on a FS595 chart as light green & looks about right for what we're discussing to my eye. What say you gentlemen? :)

Steve.

I'd suggest again not trying to find the exact colours and just eye ball them. For example, the green could be RLM 70, the bluegrey could be Extra Dark Sea Grey, the brown maybe RLM 02/stone grey/sand/tan, and then gloss white for the undersides.

https://www.zona-militar.com/foros/threads/fotos-desconocidas-de-la-fuerza-aérea-argentina.24228/page-191

• Like 2

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Definitely helpful Martin, thanks. I'm not sure why my googling didn't"t show anything, even Colorserver was found wanting. It strikes me as being a similar shade to Dark Slate Grey or even RLM02. It would be a brilliant scheme to do a Sabre in. 

Steve.

Sorry Steve - that's clearly just a typo on my part. I have just checked and there is no x0102 in FS595C. I've found no reference to, but cannot disprove the existence of, a x0102 shade in the original 1956 edition through FS595A.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Well the grey looks pretty close to the grey used on the C-141 camo scheme (FS 36118?).

Agreed, SJ. It looks bang on!

Martin

In this shot of N8630, one of the three that made it back to the US, the "tan" looks caramel/green. I admit it is a bit dusty, though!

Martin

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 22:31, RidgeRunner said:

Just an added point of interest - the Bolivian machines were the last operational Sabres anywhere in the world :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153072187@N06/40622665613/in/album-72157683894958673/

Martin

As nice as that picture is please read the site rules on the use of Airliners.net pictures and abide by them pls.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235012328-airlinersnet-and-copyright/

Julien

Apologies, @Julien

It was done in haste. Having just read the thread I now understand the implications. I had no idea. Now I do! 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

I've become quite enamoured of these machines & their colour scheme so began some googling to find some decals. :( Eventually I came across this Hobbycraft kit with options for Argentinian & Bolivian aircraft. I've put a shout out in wanted for a kit or partial decal sheet. Some more googling led me to this Argentine modeling page on Tapatalk with info on this aircraft & a review of the HC kit's colour calls. I fed them into Colorserver.net & got this. I reckon those would be a good start point at least. In Humbrol terms I'd look to using Hu75 with a bit of added Black for the FS34056, some Humbrol  240, RLM02 for the FS30318, maybe with some desert tan to brown it up a little? & Hu 144 for the FS36375, perhaps made slightly paler & blued up a tad then white with a drop of cream for the underside Insignia white FS 27875. :unsure: Just a thought anyway.  :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Here's another one of C-123 in the scheme she wore at withdrawal from service: that bronze green almost appears black and the tan looks very tanny. Note (as ever) that some caution is required with restored aircraft - I note a number of recent photos of ex-FAA F-86Fs in Argentina show liberal interpretation of the colours.

52-4978 (23)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I've become quite enamoured of these machines & their colour scheme so began some googling to find some decals. :( Eventually I came across this Hobbycraft kit with options for Argentinian & Bolivian aircraft. I've put a shout out in wanted for a kit or partial decal sheet. Some more googling led me to this Argentine modeling page on Tapatalk with info on this aircraft & a review of the HC kit's colour calls. I fed them into Colorserver.net & got this. I reckon those would be a good start point at least. In Humbrol terms I'd look to using Hu75 with a bit of added Black for the FS34056, some Humbrol  240, RLM02 for the FS30318, maybe with some desert tan to brown it up a little? & Hu 144 for the FS36375, perhaps made slightly paler & blued up a tad then white with a drop of cream for the underside Insignia white FS 27875. :unsure: Just a thought anyway.  :)

Steve.

Hi Steve, @stevehnz,

I got hold of one of those HC Sabres. The Bolivian decals are pitiful, sadly. You would be better off getting a Chaco war set from Blue Rider  (BR-255).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Steve, @stevehnz,

I got hold of one of those HC Sabres. The Bolivian decals are pitiful, sadly. You would be better off getting a Chaco war set from Blue Rider  (BR-255).

Martin

Thanks for the heads up Martin, I'll probably still keep an eye out for one but not for silly money, it's one of the few Sabre kits I don't have & seems ok as a kit, I'll look out for the BR decals, they don't appear on the BR website anymore that I can see.

Steve. 

3 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

they don't appear on the BR website anymore that I can see.

They were their earlier today!

I also used them for my earlier F-51 

FAB511

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, stevehnz said:

Still are by the look too, I was having a boys look as my best beloved would say. :(

Steve.

Mrs RidgeRunner says exactly the same ;)

M

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Haha 1

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:49 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks @Robin and @Wez

The colour that looks mid-green was actually tan. I didn't post the best picture! Yes, they eventually had long -40 wings. The dark green and the grey are correct, pretty much. 

Another project .....

Martin

Uh, oh...another Fujimi Sabre kit gets pulled from the shelves...

Mike

• Like 1