Airfix Hurricane MkI

Just finished another LIDL buy, basically a couple of hours OOB (and probably shows!) 

I've never built a Hurricane before although I always intended too. I like the look of them and remember seeing one flying at Biggin Hill in the '60's.

This model has a resonance to me as it depicts a MK I of 615 squadron Kenley in August 1940. I live a mile or two from the old airfield and often drive past.

I tried a bit of lining in the recesses for the first time and it is fair to say that some bits worked better than others.

The tail wheel is missing as one of my Grandchildren decided to take it for a test flight!

Helpful criticism always gratefully received - I need all the help I can get!

DSCN3182.jpg

DSCN3184.jpg

DSCN3183.jpg

DSCN3185.jpg

• Like 31

It's a lovely model to put together, but those fiddly little bits always seem to go missing on mine as the 'carpet monster' eats them up.

Some suggestions that I hope will help.

1. Try using some simple masking tape once you have painted the lighter colour (usually the undersides) along the demarcation line between the darker upper surfaces.  It makes for a nice sharp line.

2. I do the same along the leading edges of wings to get the same nice clean edge.  A cheap roll of decorating tape works, if you don't leave it on too long, and brush away from the tape so you don't get a ridge of paint against the edge of it.

3. Try some glossy paint or at least some glossy varnish once you have painted the aeroplane.  Then apply the decals.  It helps cut out the 'silvering'.  You can then finish the model with a flat (matt) varnish.  I use the artists stuff by Winsor and Newton.  It's a few quid a bottle but it lasts ages, and the brushes wash out easily in water.

Each model built is a lesson learned.  And it can be fun too - if the carpet monster allows and gives up its prey!  👾

Edited by FatFlyHalf
Spelinge erurr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Neil.C said:

basically a couple of hours OOB (and probably shows!) 

I've never built a Hurricane before although I always intended too. I like the look of them and remember seeing one flying at Biggin Hill in the '60's.

This model has a resonance to me as it depicts a MK I of 615 squadron Kenley in August 1940. I live a mile or two from the old airfield and often drive past.

I tried a bit of lining in the recesses for the first time and it is fair to say that some bits worked better than others.

The tail wheel is missing as one of my Grandchildren decided to take it for a test flight!

Helpful criticism always gratefully received - I need all the help I can get!

Hi Neil

well, for a couple of hours, OOB,  that's a reasonable job.   

A bit longer, and a bit more care and you would certainly get a better result.

one specific point,  the wing roundels are further inboard, both upper and lower,  the paint diagram shows the right place.

I just did the same kit OOB, except for the paint,  given this is fresh in your mind,  have a read of how I tackled it

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052380-hurricane-airfix-72nd-fabric-wing-mki-oob/

Considerably more than  2 hours work though.

some good tips from @FatFlyHalf  as well

If you want to work on your skills,  do a work in progress thread,  it's slower,  but doing the photos, uploading them and then seeing them on a screen helps you look at your work,  plus you can get encouragement, support and suggestions, and a laugh or two along the way.   It's a pleasant community on here, unlike much of the net.

cheers

Troy  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A nice rendition Neil, I have yet to build one of the three Airfix Hurricanes I have, plus a couple of others (AZ and Arma Hobby).

Can't add much to what's been suggested, a WIP can help as you can ask for tips on the go.  A little filler on the fuselage joins wouldn't go amiss, I use Vallejo tube filler which dries quickly and rubs down easily.  I always get impatient though, and none of my models would make the grade in a competition as I always have a join showing somewhere!

As said before, a bit more care and planning is the key.

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Thanks 1

That's pretty impressive for a couple of hours work.

All the things FatFlyHalf and Troy said are excellent ways to improve your modelling. Masking especially, really improves the appearance of your painting and takes only a few minutes to do. Also as was mentioned, a good gloss coat before putting the decals/transfers on makes a world of difference, they're easier to put in place, and bed down nicer with less chance of the dreaded silvering.

One more thing from my perspective, a little sanding on the seam joins (such as where the fuselage halves join) helps as well, A quick going over with some 400 grit, followed by some 1,000 and 2,000 smooths any seams out that shouldn't be there.

Troy's suggestions of doing a WIP thread as you build really does help too.

All the best and hope you've got something else lined up for the next build!

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple hours, eh? Well, that looks pretty good for going that fast. I'm in the process of doing one of the earlier releases as one of the 20 Hurricanes bought by the RCAF pre-war. I've been picking away at it for over a year and still haven't finished.

This is it so far:

33554316648_0c9a11b976_b.jpg

Here is the WIP:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235033052-airfix-hawker-hurricane-mki/&tab=comments#comment-2937768

As advised above, do a WIP on your next kit. This forum is choke-full of good advise.

Chris

• Like 2

Thanks for the all the constructive help chaps, much appreciated. 👍 

After some previous advice I now always gloss the plane before decals and then matt over  but still sometimes suffer from the dreaded silvering.  Any way round it?

I've started an Airfix Mustang now - so watch out!😂

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Neil.C said:

After some previous advice I now always gloss the plane before decals and then matt over  but still sometimes suffer from the dreaded silvering.  Any way round it?

If it's visible after decalling I find using a sharp need to gently pierce the area where there is silvering and then a liberal use of Micro Sol helps wonders. I find some decals though to be just more apt to silver than others, for example I have a devil of a time with Tamiya's ones, and they seem to want to silver no matter what I do.

Looking forward to the Mustang!

Edited by Smithy
  • Thanks 1

Hi Neil

Very nice Hurricane indeed. This is a great little kit and can't be beaten in terms of the money it cost.  I am very impressed with your build for the time spent on it. I did mine over several weeks and that is quick for me.  If you still have the tail wheel if you drill a small diameter hole either side of the break and reassemble using a bit of brass rod it will be very strong, as mine broke off too and had to be reattached.

Thanks for sharing

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

Neil, you could ask those that have built this kit in the early version without the ventral fin in front of the tail wheel, if they have the tailwheel that goes with the fin.

26296545357_20e40eaa02_b.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 1

Great job Neil... Especially for a couple of hours work! I recently completed that exact model as a gift for my Grandad. Got it for Christmas a couple of years back and had been putting it off. Wish I'd have posted it now but didn't think anyone would be interested in it. (I guess because I'm new). Oh well. Great job.... Can't beat good old LIDL 😋 Hope the one near me gets some in. 👍

Ben

• Thanks 1

On 09/04/2019 at 17:53, dogsbody said:

A couple hours, eh? Well, that looks pretty good for going that fast. I'm in the process of doing one of the earlier releases as one of the 20 Hurricanes bought by the RCAF pre-war. I've been picking away at it for over a year and still haven't finished.

This is it so far:

33554316648_0c9a11b976_b.jpg

Here is the WIP:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235033052-airfix-hawker-hurricane-mki/&tab=comments#comment-2937768

As advised above, do a WIP on your next kit. This forum is choke-full of good advise.

Chris

Hey Chris...

Good luck on your Hurricane build. Just wanted to let you know that your Lego brick support frame has inspired me for future builds. Simple yet handy! 👍

Thanks

Ben

22 hours ago, Smithy said:

If it's visible after decalling I find using a sharp need to gently pierce the area where there is silvering and then a liberal use of Micro Sol helps wonders. I find some decals though to be just more apt to silver than others, for example I have a devil of a time with Tamiya's ones, and they seem to want to silver no matter what I do.

Looking forward to the Mustang!

I just checked this stuff out, looks very helpful!

I'll order some when I get home.

Thanks very much!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Neil.C said:

apply gloss coat,  then apply decals in a small amount wet Kleer (or equivalent) 

see

Did it on mine and no silvering at all.  

I did use fairly hot water to saok them off,  a pickle jar lid, (metal with plastic coating),  on a coffee machine hotplate to keep water hot, it soften the decals,  and then bedded on kleer, when happy with position, press down with a cloth. 

Read the thread though.  Apparently the new Kleer is Lakeland Quickshine.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Benji said:

Hey Chris...

Good luck on your Hurricane build. Just wanted to let you know that your Lego brick support frame has inspired me for future builds. Simple yet handy! 👍

Thanks

Ben

Not my idea. I got it here, on the forum.This place has everything you need, information-wise.

I made it to get the tail feathers on straight and level. One was a fairly tight fit but the other was loose.

44698176362_15e20b8d7f_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

apply gloss coat,  then apply decals in a small amount wet Kleer (or equivalent) 

see

Did it on mine and no silvering at all.  

I did use fairly hot water to saok them off,  a pickle jar lid, (metal with plastic coating),  on a coffee machine hotplate to keep water hot, it soften the decals,  and then bedded on kleer, when happy with position, press down with a cloth. 

Read the thread though.  Apparently the new Kleer is Lakeland Quickshine.

Many thanks Troy! I know your reply wasn't meant for me, but you've give me the solution to the problem I've been having latey. I've bookmarked that page and I'm sourcing the required product. Cheers 👍

Ben

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

Looks grand, Neil!  And I'm envious of you living so close to the old airfield.

Cheers,

Mark

Cheers Mark.

I live a couple of miles from Kenley aerodrome, and in the other direction, about five or six miles from Biggin Hill, another Battle of Britain aerodrome.