BA Negus Tristar **FINISHED**

FortyEighter

18 hours ago, helios16v said:

Super clean line breaks.  Wish my masking came out like that more often.  :thumbsup:

Thanks, there was a small amount of bleeding from the blue (despite applying a thin coat of white over the edges of the tape). It was mainly capillary action along the panel lines but a bit of careful micromeshing has got rid of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to look more like a BA Tristar now but need to decide if it will carry "British Airways" or the large "British" branding above the forward windows (it carried both at different points in time).

20190626_184056

Cockpit windows courtesy of @Turbofan - cabin window and coroguard decals are on order.

Have yet too decide whether the control surfaces on the rear of the wings will be metallic decal from Authentic Airliners or sprayed.

Engine nacelles are a mix of Alclad paints - mainly Duralium with a light overspray of Hot Metal Blue.

Cheers 

Mike

• Like 3

Hi Mike,

This is starting to look the part now, not far to go. Wow that windscreen looks good!👍

Don't forget the flaps are natural metal too, here's a link to a pic of an ex-BA TriStar

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Kitty-Hawk-International/Lockheed-L-1011-385-1-15-TriStar-200-F/458220

And one in BA service pic 27 on this page

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/about-ba/history-and-heritage/photographs/photos-1970-1979

You could always use some AA High Shine Metallic Decal. I take it the decalling wasn't a success on the nacelles?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Mike,

This is starting to look the part now, not far to go. Wow that windscreen looks good!👍

Don't forget the flaps are natural metal too, here's a link to a pic of an ex-BA TriStar

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Kitty-Hawk-International/Lockheed-L-1011-385-1-15-TriStar-200-F/458220

And one in BA service pic 27 on this page

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/about-ba/history-and-heritage/photographs/photos-1970-1979

You could always use some AA High Shine Metallic Decal. I take it the decalling wasn't a success on the nacelles?

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks for the links Ian, I'd tried in vain to find pictures on the net which showed the top surface of the wings - you'd think some keen spotter would have taken some from the top of Queens Building in the past and posted them!

I was waiting for an order to arrive from Ellen at Authentic (fabulous service, ordered Monday and arrived today) so decided to spray the nacelles.  As I said, I'm not sure which to use on the flaps but may try the decals - cutting those to fit along the panel lines will take as long as masking the panels.

Mike

Starboard side is now complete:

20190702_164200

Coroguard decals arrived today, so they and the main control surfaces will be next on the list.

Unfortunately, I managed to totally ruin one of the door decals on the port side - it just wouldn't slide when trying to re-position it and ended up after several attempts as a wrinkled mess😪  I've put out an appeal in the wanted section - ideally I need to find someone who has used the white door frames and still has the silver / grey ones as spares.  Alternatively I could use the Authentic doors - as long as they are all the same on each side it probably doesn't matter (nobody looks at both sides at the same time) or I could buy another set of decals from Ray@26.

Mike

• Like 2

On 26/06/2019 at 18:50, FortyEighter said:

Starting to look more like a BA Tristar now but need to decide if it will carry "British Airways" or the large "British" branding above the forward windows (it carried both at different points in time).

Hi Mike,

With reference to your earlier post, I think you've already made the decision. It'll have to be the large "British" titles because, as far as I know, the "British airways" titled aircraft didn't carry any names. This also means you'll have to use the more modern Royal Mail logo too.

Also if you're using the Nazca coroguard you'll have to lop off the section which sticks out on the rear close in to the fuselage, I don't think BA aircraft had this. See the links above.

It's looking good though can't wait to see it finished!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Mike,

With reference to your earlier post, I think you've already made the decision. It'll have to be the large "British" titles because, as far as I know, the "British airways" titled aircraft didn't carry any names. This also means you'll have to use the more modern Royal Mail logo too.

Also if you're using the Nazca coroguard you'll have to lop off the section which sticks out on the rear close in to the fuselage, I don't think BA aircraft had this. See the links above.

It's looking good though can't wait to see it finished!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

It certainly helps to have someone who has just finished the same airframe / livery giving tips!  A close look at pictures of Negus Tristars online appears to support your theory re the names, though there is always an exception albeit a "500".

Will check your earlier links re the coroguard.

Regards

Mike

The Nazca coroguard decal doesn't quite match the kit's wing - if the "circles" near the wing tip are lined up as below, the decal doesn't reach the wing root:

20190707_141905

Easily solved by moving the decal inwards to the root but then the original engraved circle on the wing will probably show through the decal as it sinks into the panel lines.  So have just filled and sanded smooth the large circles (and also all the small ones which are represented on the decal but  might not line up with the engravings in the plastic).

Am now in the process of respraying the wing grey where any sanded areas might show through the clear parts of the decals.  Don't think I'll worry about the lower wing panels!

Regards

Mike

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:17 PM, FortyEighter said:

Am now in the process of respraying the wing grey where any sanded areas might show through the clear parts of the decals.  Don't think I'll worry about the lower wing panels! 

Having resprayed the parts of the wing where I removed detail that is on the Nazca decals and having applied Authentic Airliners metal decals on the flaps etc, I then started to apply one of the coroguard decals - only then to remember that they are laser printed!

My patching up of the wing grey of course shows the different shades through the decal - so quickly slid it onto the backing paper and am hoping that it will be OK.  Will need to do a fairly full respray of the wings to ensure an even colour and then try again.

Have got a couple of Phantoms (and the MD-11)to keep me busy while I think about the best way to proceed without damaging too much of the metallic effect when masking.

So now almost finished - just some gear doors to paint & fit and also need to check the spares box for antennae:

20190725_143220

In the end I brush painted some grey to provide an even coloured base under the coroguard decals.  There was a slight mismatch in size of the paint / decal but it can't be seen at most angles!

The masking tape didn't affect the paint on the leading edges and only lifted off one of the metallic decals on the flaps, which has just been replaced.  Today has also seen the engines and undercarriage mounted.

Will post some more photos in the Gallery once the details are sorted.

Mike

• Like 4

I'm declaring this as finished, here are a few more shots that are not in the Gallery

20190730_164310

20190730_164025

20190730_164242

20190730_164648

And in case anyone is wondering about the MD-11 mentioned at the start of this thread, it now has the grey and white applied and should get the blue on the top of the fuselage soon.

Regards

Mike

• Like 5

Superb Mike, I bet you're really chuffed with it!

I just love the TriStar everything looks right about it and your model captures this in every way. The BA livery looks good on it too.

I've enjoyed following your build and am glad to have been able to help out.

Looking forward to the MD11!!

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Alan P said:

A very fine result 👍 well done!

Thanks Alan

21 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done on your L-1011, British Airways always did have nice schemes. 👍🏻

At the time of purchase I was tempted by the Landor scheme but decided that this one was easier to paint - no mixing required for the upper fuselage, just white 🤣

19 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Well that's just beautiful, great job! Brings back some memories seeing that scheme.

Although we've been regular holiday fliers for many years my memories of liveries from the 80s and 90s are poor - I was more interested in railway modelling then, so flying was just a means of getting from A to B (usually via C)

16 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Lovely work Mike :thumbsup:

Thanks Ray.  After buying the kit I made a start on fixing the front / rear fuselage halves together and thought that the joint looked awful - so it went back in the box.  The spur of this group build and a bit of patience filling & smoothing has made a whole world of difference.

16 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Superb Mike, I bet you're really chuffed with it!

I just love the TriStar everything looks right about it and your model captures this in every way. The BA livery looks good on it too.

I've enjoyed following your build and am glad to have been able to help out.

Looking forward to the MD11!!

Cheers,

Ian

I don't think I've ever flown on a Tristar but it makes a great model.  I need to get a bigger diorama built so that it can be shown alongside it's "cousins" the DC-10 and MD-11. 

Thanks again for your help (especially the spare decals)

• Like 1