BA Negus Tristar **FINISHED**

FortyEighter

This will be my entry for the Group Build:

20190409_094013

I've previously made a start by joining the fuselage halves together and working on the joint - this still needs tidying up but I'm sure I'm within the 25% rule.

In the next week I'll have a think about what to do with the No2 intake.  A recent thread has said that the Braz insert needs quite a bit of work to fit neatly, so may just go with a blanked off tube instead.

As there are no other group builds for me until June, I may build my MD-11 alongside this one in a WIP!

Regards

Mike

Edited by FortyEighter
  • Like 6

Hi Mike,

Don't know what your MO is with regard to doors but BA TriStars had large rear doors, not the small ones as moulded on the kit, so will need to be filled. The rest of the doors don't match the decals either, come to think about it, so will need to be filled too!

Looking forward to watching this one progress.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

I'll follow this one, in fact I may even enter one myself.

The rear join has stalled my -500 TriStar as it requires so much sanding that most of the detail at the back will be lost.

Anyway, good choice of colours but if Sir wanted a small rear doored BA machine he could do one of the leased in aircraft

Leased in BA TriStar

Jeff

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:19 AM, Turbofan said:

Hi Mike,

Don't know what your MO is with regard to doors but BA TriStars had large rear doors, not the small ones as moulded on the kit, so will need to be filled. The rest of the doors don't match the decals either, come to think about it, so will need to be filled too!

Looking forward to watching this one progress.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks for the "heads up" re the doors Ian.  Looking at photos I can now see the difference but hadn't noticed it before.  Ray has obviously done his homework as the decal sheet contains the larger rear ones.  I might try one of the spare (Landor) doors early on just to see how closely it fits the engraved outline before deciding whether to fill them before painting.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:02 PM, pinky coffeeboat said:

I'll follow this one, in fact I may even enter one myself.

The rear join has stalled my -500 TriStar as it requires so much sanding that most of the detail at the back will be lost.

Anyway, good choice of colours but if Sir wanted a small rear doored BA machine he could do one of the leased in aircraft

Leased in BA TriStar

Jeff

An interesting subject Jeff but don't think there are any numerals on the decal sheet to do the Eastern Airlines lessee.

The joint on this one isn't too bad when first assembled - certainly better than on the MD-11.

Mike

Edited by FortyEighter
Typo

On 14/04/2019 at 19:40, FortyEighter said:

Can anyone tell me what the two "spines" are projecting from the rear of the engine in this view https://images.app.goo.gl/nknbYd3SvrGM3TZF7 ?

Hello, Mike! The pictured engine has a reverse mechanism and these «spines» has a hinges on the aft. Looks like this when deployed:

Boeing_737-200_thrust_reverser_active.jp

I hope I understand your question correctly.

Cheers! 😎

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 5:40 PM, FortyEighter said:

They are moulded in the kit BUT do not appear in any of the photos I've looked at of (particularly BA) Tristars

They are for the hot section thrust reverser buckets as Nickolay says above. The reason you don't see them in most photo's is that they were only fitted to the early model RB211's. These has thrust reverseres on both hot and cold sections, later versions of the engine only had thrust reversing on the cold section, therefore no buckets fitted on the hot section.

Early RB211 thrust reverser

Later RB211 thrust reverser

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Hello, Mike! The pictured engine has a reverse mechanism and these «spines» has a hinges on the aft. Looks like this when deployed:

Boeing_737-200_thrust_reverser_active.jp

I hope I understand your question correctly.

Cheers! 😎

16 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

They are for the hot section thrust reverser buckets as Nickolay says above. The reason you don't see them in most photo's is that they were only fitted to the early model RB211's. These has thrust reverseres on both hot and cold sections, later versions of the engine only had thrust reversing on the cold section, therefore no buckets fitted on the hot section.

Early RB211 thrust reverser

Later RB211 thrust reverser

Hi Nikolay and Dave,

Thanks for your replies and pictures.  It looks like Eastern Express have made a stab at the early engines, so I'll modify mine to fit the much more common later version.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FortyEighter said:

It looks like Eastern Express have made a stab at the early engines, so I'll modify mine to fit the much more common later version.

Mike, the EE L-1011-500 kit has the later style engines.

Note that as well as losing the thrust reverser buckets and their associated guides, the hot centre section was also much shorter on the later engines, it also gained a fairing above the hot section into the nacelle pylon (or fin).

If you're modifying the early ones you need to loose approx 5mm from the forward end of the kit moulded hot sections, then create the fairing. this shows up quite well in the photo link to the later style of nacelle

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Mike, the EE L-1011-500 kit has the later style engines.

Note that as well as losing the thrust reverser buckets and their associated guides, the hot centre section was also much shorter on the later engines, it also gained a fairing above the hot section into the nacelle pylon (or fin).

If you're modifying the early ones you need to loose approx 5mm from the forward end of the kit moulded hot sections, then create the fairing. this shows up quite well in the photo link to the later style of nacelle

Thanks again Dave.

I had noticed that the hot sections were shorter and had a pronounced fairing above them, but hadn't got as far as working out how much shorter.

Mike

• Like 1

Having re-read @Turbofan's post 're the door sizes, I've now filled all of them and (using a spare door decal from the sheet to check width) have re-scribed the horiz panel lines above / below the windowline:

20190419_153202

Still working on the upper fuselage seam - the lower seam is somewhat concave so will need quite a bit of filler, as it isn't normally visible I probably won't lose too much sleep over it!

• Like 1

I'll be watching this , I was on BA L1011s in the late 80s. What mark is this ? Tristar 1 ? Think I was on BA 200s the decal registrations aren't anyway near what I was on . Which were G-BHBL,BM,BN etc.

I was an inspector at Marshalls of Cambridge for the BA Sunset 3 ,  10 Tristars interior update Negus to Landor gig with a D check slipped in, Oct 1986. All the interior was either scrapped or re-trimmed . Overhead bins , Galleys ,toilets, dog kennels were removed and junked. Resprayed to Landor. interior kit was  replaced by MBB (German) toilets, Flight Form  dog kennels and small lockers   (Heathrow ) and CF Taylor Galleys ( Wokingham) , Overhead bins by Heath Tecna (USA) . Door panels and Slide bustle fairing ,window panels, Roof and sidewalls ,bulkheads, Wardrobes were all retrimmed in Hangar 8. 1st jet G-BHBL's Overhead bins were evil , all swamped with sea water in the shipping container getting here and I scrapped them ,can't remember exactly but more than £200,000 worth ! Not a massive problem ,just pull forward the set for -BHBM,the next kite's bins and have at least 18-24 months until the 10th set was needed so plenty of time for Heath Techna to get their backsides in gear.

Window sidewalls were retrimmed by use of heat activated glue and Autoclave . That was brand new ,nobody had seen one let alone used one and hit and miss was king . Took weeks for the normally brilliant trimmers to get their heads round it . I was scrapping more things that I'd ever seen ,every time we got a split on the window  apertures . The trick was cut the vinyl ish sheet to more or less the exact dimension around the window aperture .

It was one of the weirdest places I've worked (1940's/50's hierarchy) Sir Arthur Marshall was a micro manager and there wasn't anything he didn't know about or level he wouldn't dive down to spy to either . I was given the job of surveying the old toilet and galley units . This old bloke came in the hangar in a Donkey jacket and must have been over 80 , found out he was 83 ! Didn't know who he was . What's happening with this lot ? Well ,I've finished with this stack here so you can shift it when ever you want and that lot over there  . Thought he was a labourer !  He didn't do a thing .. I Thought in a minute he'll start work and then he walks out . That old cleaner type that was here , told him to shift that stuff out ,he just walked off. That was Sir Arthur mate ! Then they tell me the stuff I'd been checking was to be junked it's not required for Sunset 3 . My 1st day and it didn't get much better ! Sir Arthur could leave much younger blokes behind climbing the Tristar tail dock , fitter than a fit thing . Died at the age of 103 ! Job cards were called Ormigs ..That was the name of the German manufacturer of the original  printing machine they printed jobcards on in pre war  19 canteen . You need to raise an Ormig.. What the hell is an Ormig ?

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:00 PM, bzn20 said:

I'll be watching this , I was on BA L1011s in the late 80s. What mark is this ? Tristar 1 ? Think I was on BA 200s the decal registrations aren't anyway near what I was on . Which were G-BHBL,BM,BN etc.

I was an inspector at Marshalls of Cambridge for the BA Sunset 3 ,  10 Tristars interior update Negus to Landor gig with a D check slipped in, Oct 1986. All the interior was either scrapped or re-trimmed . Overhead bins , Galleys ,toilets, dog kennels were removed and junked. Resprayed to Landor. interior kit was  replaced by MBB (German) toilets, Flight Form  dog kennels and small lockers   (Heathrow ) and CF Taylor Galleys ( Wokingham) , Overhead bins by Heath Tecna (USA) . Door panels and Slide bustle fairing ,window panels, Roof and sidewalls ,bulkheads, Wardrobes were all retrimmed in Hangar 8. 1st jet G-BHBL's Overhead bins were evil , all swamped with sea water in the shipping container getting here and I scrapped them ,can't remember exactly but more than £200,000 worth ! Not a massive problem ,just pull forward the set for -BHBM,the next kite's bins and have at least 18-24 months until the 10th set was needed so plenty of time for Heath Techna to get their backsides in gear.

Window sidewalls were retrimmed by use of heat activated glue and Autoclave . That was brand new ,nobody had seen one let alone used one and hit and miss was king . Took weeks for the normally brilliant trimmers to get their heads round it . I was scrapping more things that I'd ever seen ,every time we got a split on the window  apertures . The trick was cut the vinyl ish sheet to more or less the exact dimension around the window aperture .

It was one of the weirdest places I've worked (1940's/50's hierarchy) Sir Arthur Marshall was a micro manager and there wasn't anything he didn't know about or level he wouldn't dive down to spy to either . I was given the job of surveying the old toilet and galley units . This old bloke came in the hangar in a Donkey jacket and must have been over 80 , found out he was 83 ! Didn't know who he was . What's happening with this lot ? Well ,I've finished with this stack here so you can shift it when ever you want and that lot over there  . Thought he was a labourer !  He didn't do a thing .. I Thought in a minute he'll start work and then he walks out . That old cleaner type that was here , told him to shift that stuff out ,he just walked off. That was Sir Arthur mate ! Then they tell me the stuff I'd been checking was to be junked it's not required for Sunset 3 . My 1st day and it didn't get much better ! Sir Arthur could leave much younger blokes behind climbing the Tristar tail dock , fitter than a fit thing . Died at the age of 103 ! Job cards were called Ormigs ..That was the name of the German manufacturer of the original  printing machine they printed jobcards on in pre war  19 canteen . You need to raise an Ormig.. What the hell is an Ormig ?

Hi bzn20,

Yes it is a Tristar 1 - will probably go for G-BEAL if only for its name.

The decal sheet does have registrations for the whole fleet but the diagrams for the 200s and 500s were folded underneath in my photo.

An interesting recount of the Negus to Landor refit; £200,000 for scrapped luggage bins was probably quite a lot of money in the mid / late 80s, presumably the shipping company had to foot the bill for not ensuring the load was watertight?

57 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

foot the bill

About a month later I had a Loss Adjuster from the insurance company wanting to look at the big warped stack of dried out soggy boxes with bins sticking out . Whats wrong with them ? Been soaked ,contaminated with salt water ,trims stained and probably got in to the fibreglass underneath . Quite a few are damaged where they got loose through the cardboard . Okay, how many are we talking about ? A full set . Then we shifted the heap around so he could see the damage etc. .Taking photos with a Polaroid and making notes with lots of broken and water damage written down, that was that . Another month later and a truck turned up to take them away. It wasn't just the bins in those boxes ,all the new fittings and fixings,  brackets , nuts, bolts,   washers, Hi-Tigue Pins and Collars etc. too.

I'd tell you about the Escape Slides and Bustles ( Door Slide covers ) Episode but I'd need a whole website to tell it ! Short tale of many . They fitted the slides and bustles to the doors on first jet BHBL and someone had switched "Doors to Automatic". You guessed it . The doors were opened  and slides were flying out of both sides to the Hangar floor over a period of 5 minutes before somebody realised the doors would do that on opening in Auto mode . Hilarious ! They all had to go back to BA Heathrow Safety Equipment for repacking and certification. They came back with all the new trim gashed . Had to send them back the BA ,take out the slides ,Bustles came back for retrimming. Back to BA for fitting the slide ,re cert and back to us , 450 miles ish on the back of a BA Bedford TK on the M11 and M25 , six trips !  … Same thing happened so many times . Never a dull moment at Marshalls

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The seam fettling cycle is approaching the end

20190505_185841

and it's starting to look like a Tristar

I've made an attempt to modify the #2 engine - it may not be 100% accurate bit it will do me

20190505_185923

Am now working on the other two engines but think that we might be close to spraying the fuselage white and blue (and of course, wings grey)

Edited by FortyEighter
typo
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at the final stages of smoothing off the underbelly seam but then realised that the main gear doors should be in the closed position.  A bit of fettling needed to get a reasonable fit (and a length of L-shape styrene inside each bay for the doors to rest on:

20190514_155523

Now taking advantage of a warm day and very little wind to get on several thin layers of primer.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier this week I started to mask off the white / blue demarcation only to notice that I had somehow scuffed the white finish, so.....a few more coats of Appliance White and micromeshing and we are now at the white and grey (Halfords Racking Grey) in place.  So give it 48 hours before masking the grey and applying the underbelly blue (Hu 15) and I'll post a photo update.

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Can I recommend Tamiya X3 Royal Blue rather than the Humbrol enamel colour? For me it's just a slightly better match and being Tamiya it dries very hard really quickly!

Cheers,

Ian

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:26 PM, Turbofan said:

Hi Mike,

Can I recommend Tamiya X3 Royal Blue rather than the Humbrol enamel colour? For me it's just a slightly better match and being Tamiya it dries very hard really quickly!

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks for the suggestion Ian.

I tend to use rattle cans for gloss - for some reason I can usually get a good finish with matt or satin paint using an airbrush but don't have much success with gloss.  Will have to get in some more practice!!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I've been "away from the work bench" lately but did manage to finish the basic painting beforehand:

20190612_171245

20190612_171312

I forgot to prime the underside in grey, so the blue came out a bit too bright - however a quick spray of gloss black followed by another of Hu15 has given a colour I can live with.

Metallic edges and coroguard are next.  I might try the Nazca decals for the latter and have also been looking at their L-1011 detail sheet which includes detailed cabin windows BUT only plain cockpit ones.

Also need to work on the engines and undercarriage parts so that they can be attached - still plenty of time until the GB finishes.

Mike

• Like 2