Dornier 335 question

jenko

I'm doing the Tamiya 2 seat version.

The one the British "acquired" had a natural metal under surface.

Question:

Would the wheel wells be natural metal as well or RML 02 ?

Thanks 

Dick

Not an expert on the type, but may be interesting to note that many late war Luftwaffe aircraft had wheel wells left in natural metal to make production faster. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened to that particular aircraft

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio. I was thinking along the same lines. 

A case of why paint when you don't have to.

Cheers

Dick

A quick check in Monogram's book on the do 335 by Smith, Creek, Hitchcock shows that 

- the wheel well on the restored example was painted RLM 02 at restoration

- the gear cover on M14 (the plane acquired by the French) does look natural metal on the inside, very shiny underneath that big wing (p. 129).

Richard

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are pics of the arrow in a book by Eric (Winkle)Brown who flew it back to and tested it in England. The aircraft was destroyed in a crash after the rear engine caught fire. It killed the test pilot who was flying it at the time

His book is a fascinating read if you can get a copy

39 minutes ago, Stevejj said:

There are pics of the arrow in a book by Eric (Winkle)Brown who flew it back to and tested it in England. The aircraft was destroyed in a crash after the rear engine caught fire. It killed the test pilot who was flying it at the time

His book is a fascinating read if you can get a copy

This aircraft crashed on part of Cove Junior School in Farnborough, by coincidence my daughter attends it.

you can read more here - http://www.airsciences.org.uk/FASTPressRelease_70thAnniversaryofCrashofDornier335atCoveJuniorSchool_v1.0_12 Jan 2016.pdf

Edited by Rickoshea52
  • Like 1

I also think natural metal for the wheel bays and inside surfaces of the gear doors would be the most likely, especially at that stage of the war. There is the possibility that stringers and other structural members might have been painted in RLM02 if they were joined to dissimilar metals, to prevent corrosion. I don't recall offhand, but if  the inner skins of any of the gear doors were wood, like those on the Me-262, they would have most likely been primed with RLM02 or RLM65. ( RLM76 replaced RLM65 as the undersurface color on examples built from Autumn 1944 on, as stated in Michael Ullmann's article on Do-335 camouflage. ) I think gear struts would have finished in RLM02.

Mike

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/do335camomu_1.htm

• Like 1

There are photos of RAF-captured (tested) machine (s)

do335-raf.jpg

13-7.jpg

do335_45.jpg

And an one seater:

dornier-do-335-in-raf-colors-1200.jpg

Wheel hubs looks black to me, not RLM 02 nor alu but with alu ring . The wheel bay covers looks to me alu inside, so wheel bay likely also alu.

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JWM said:

Wheel hubs looks black to me, not RLM 02

The wheel hubs may have been painted RLM 66 (Schwarzgrau). I believe this was the standard colour for late WW2 fighters.

Charlie

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Johnson said:

The wheel hubs may have been painted RLM 66 (Schwarzgrau). I believe this was the standard colour for late WW2 fighters.

Indeed - that was what I ment for"black", sorry for beeing not very precise...

J-W

7 hours ago, JWM said:

Wheel hubs looks black to me

IIRC, almost all wheel hubs on Luftwaffe aircraft were made of a metal casting called 'elektron,' which might have been a magnesium alloy, and were finished with a coat of semi-gloss black enamel, as mentioned in the Merrick and Monogram books on Luftwaffe camouflage and markings.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevejj said:

a FW190 something

Namely rather Ta 152. Completly obscured, more right then Ju 52 is Ju 252 or Ju 352 - only ramp is seen from it below belly of Dornier

J-W

Edited by JWM

Fast googling reveal, that this is an exhibition of German and Italian captured airplanes, togetehr with UK prototypes,  which took place in Farnborough in 1945. Here is a general view: 

FarnboroughEx.jpg

8a96783d02b6e6a6bf0e96c1f8c84f89.jpg

More here:

https://falkeeinsgreatplanes.blogspot.com/2014/11/captured-enemy-aircraft-at-farnborough.html

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A more ecliptic mix of aircraft you could ever wish to wander around. 

Or a Britmodeller's dream day out  :thumbsup:

Dick

Thanks for posting

3 hours ago, jenko said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A more ecliptic mix of aircraft you could ever wish to wander around. 

Or a Britmodeller's dream day out  :thumbsup:

Dick

Thanks for posting

Or, try this airshow/display on for size!

Mike

http://airshowstuff.com/v4/2015/step-into-history-with-this-rare-footage-of-a-spectcular-1945-airshow/

• Like 2

On 22/04/2019 at 20:29, JWM said:

Namely rather Ta 152. Completly obscured, more right then Ju 52 is Ju 252 or Ju 352 - only ramp is seen from it below belly of Dornier

J-W

Thanks jwm still I got one right lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stevejj said:

Thanks jwm still I got one right lol

And on this photo

FarnboroughEx.jpg

it is clear that Junkers with ramp is Ju 352 :)

Cheers

J-W