This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

SoftScience

How do you say in your English?

19 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Let's have a little comparison of how we speak where we live. Thase are partly based on a linguistic study undertaken in the US, but with a few of my own additions.

1. What do you call the small arthropod that lives in wet conditions, often under decaying leaves or rocks that rolls up into a little ball when startled?

woodlouse

2. What do you call the small freshwater crustacean that resembles a small lobster?

crayfish

3. What term do you use to describe the weather phenomenon where rain falls while the sun is simultaneously shining?

light rain

4. What do you call a public water dispensing device you can take a cool drink from?

water fountain

5. What do you call the person who cuts your hair?

barber

6. Does the kinship term for your mother's sister sound the same as the word ant? 

Arent

7. What do you call a knit closely fitting winter hat?

wooly hat

8. What term do you use for shoes used in athletic activity like running or basketball?

trainers

9. What term do you use for a long narrow sandwich?

baguette

In your response please state what region of your country you're from.

soft furniture: settee

K words: Koo-pon, and que-pola

Jonners :)

Born in Stoke on Trent, but 30 years living in Oxford. 

4 hours ago, SoftScience said:

How interesting to see that in AU! The only other people who regularly call them bubblers are those living in southeastern Wisconsin, typically around the city of Milwaukee. 

It may be yet another regional thing. I was born and grew up in south-western New South Wales (Leeton, in the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area) and that's what we always called them. I can still recall the row of bubblers in the school playground. I believe that they are known as "drinking fountains" in other parts of the country, and even of the State.

1. What do you call the small arthropod that lives in wet conditions, often under decaying leaves or rocks that rolls up into a little ball when startled?  SOWBUG

2. What do you call the small freshwater crustacean that resembles a small lobster? CRAYFISH

3. What term do you use to describe the weather phenomenon where rain falls while the sun is simultaneously shining? RAINSHOWER

4. What do you call a public water dispensing device you can take a cool drink from?  FOUNTAIN

5. What do you call the person who cuts your hair?  STYLIST

6. Does the kinship term for your mother's sister sound the same as the word ant?  NO. IT SOUNDS LIKE AWE-NT

7. What do you call a knit closely fitting winter hat?  TOQUE

8. What term do you use for shoes used in athletic activity like running or basketball? RUNNERS

9. What term do you use for a long narrow sandwich? SUB ( SUBMARINE )

Remember, I lived my first 25 years in Nova Scotia, on Canada's East Coast. The last 39 years have been spent up here, in Northern Alberta.

Chris

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

1. What do you call the small arthropod that lives in wet conditions, often under decaying leaves or rocks that rolls up into a little ball when startled?  Slater

2. What do you call the small freshwater crustacean that resembles a small lobster? Koura (Maori name for them also referred to as Fresh Water Crayfish, our Lobsters are referred to  as Crayfish)

3. What term do you use to describe the weather phenomenon where rain falls while the sun is simultaneously shining? Sun shower

4. What do you call a public water dispensing device you can take a cool drink from?  Drinking Fountain

5. What do you call the person who cuts your hair?  Robyn but she would describe herself as a hair dresser.

6. Does the kinship term for your mother's sister sound the same as the word ant?  Aunt, pronounced aren't

7. What do you call a knit closely fitting winter hat?  Beanie (An Aussie term that snuck in while we weren't looking) :D 

8. What term do you use for shoes used in athletic activity like running or basketball? Trainers or Sneakers

9. What term do you use for a long narrow sandwich? Filled roll.

To put a Kiwi perspective on it but there will be variations to some of these between Northland (the far north) & Southland (the far south) & many points in between.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

On 4/9/2019 at 3:15 AM, SoftScience said:

Let's have a little comparison of how we speak where we live. Thase are partly based on a linguistic study undertaken in the US, but with a few of my own additions.

1. What do you call the small arthropod that lives in wet conditions, often under decaying leaves or rocks that rolls up into a little ball when startled? WOODLOUSE

2. What do you call the small freshwater crustacean that resembles a small lobster? CRAYFISH

3. What term do you use to describe the weather phenomenon where rain falls while the sun is simultaneously shining? NOTHING

4. What do you call a public water dispensing device you can take a cool drink from? FOUNTAIN

5. What do you call the person who cuts your hair? BARBER

6. Does the kinship term for your mother's sister sound the same as the word ant? YES

7. What do you call a knit closely fitting winter hat? HAT

8. What term do you use for shoes used in athletic activity like running or basketball? TRAINERS (TRAINIES in Scouse)

9. What term do you use for a long narrow sandwich? STICK/BAGUETTE

In your response please state what region of your country you're from. LIVERPOOL/WIRRAL

Is there a prize?!

Trevor

47 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Is there a prize?!

Yes. 1st prize, a complete box set of Strictly come dancing and All togeher now.

2nd prize. two box sets.

3rd prize. three box sets.

(It's pure hell if you come 10th). 

Posted (edited)

1. Woodlouse

2. Crayfish (unless I'm ordering them in a fancy  restaurant where they get called langoustine )

3. raining while it's sunny

4. water/drinking fountain

5. Hairdresser (well a barber wouldn't know what to do with my locks)

6. Aunt (pronounced Arnt, so no)

7.Woolly hat 

8. trainer

9. baguette

I currently live in Yorkshire, grew up in N Wales but since my dad's from Kent (south of London) I have southern vowels and a non-regional accent otherwise

Edited by JamesP

1. Slater

2. Prawn-thing

3. Sunshower

4. Drinking fountain

5. Mrs Hovis

6. Ant or anti

7. Balaclava :ninja:

8. Gutties (pronounced "guddies")

9. Finger roll or baguette

Sofa or settee

hard K

Chris from Northern Ireland

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Is there a prize?!

Trevor

my eternal gratitude for satisfying my curiosity. 

Or if you wish, a full box of medical pamphlets on treating herpes. 

Just a thought, but saying that you pronounce "aunt" like "gaunt" is pointless, unless we know how you pronounce "gaunt". Over this side of the pond I believe that word is mostly pronounced "gornt", so how would you be pronouncing it?

John.

27 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Just a thought, but saying that you pronounce "aunt" like "gaunt" is pointless, unless we know how you pronounce "gaunt". Over this side of the pond I believe that word is mostly pronounced "gornt", so how would you be pronouncing it?

John.

I pronounce it "yyyyyyyyyyyiiiiiinnnnggg zooooop  yoing-yoing-ZIP-badabadabada-ffffffffffffuuuuuu-gongalonga-yip yip!!!!!" 

Make sure you give the last syllable that up-tone. It'll just sound like nonsense, otherwise. 

I pronounce it “Luxury Yatcht”

I pronounce it throatwarblermangrove

1 hour ago, SoftScience said:

I pronounce it "yyyyyyyyyyyiiiiiinnnnggg zooooop  yoing-yoing-ZIP-badabadabada-ffffffffffffuuuuuu-gongalonga-yip yip!!!!!" 

What a coincidence!! That's exactly how I pronounce it too.

On 4/8/2019 at 10:15 PM, SoftScience said:

1. What do you call the small arthropod that lives in wet conditions, often under decaying leaves or rocks that rolls up into a little ball when startled?

SLATER

2. What do you call the small freshwater crustacean that resembles a small lobster?

SHRIMP

3. What term do you use to describe the weather phenomenon where rain falls while the sun is simultaneously shining?

SCOTLAND (but you forgot about the snow at the same time)

4. What do you call a public water dispensing device you can take a cool drink from?

THE PUB

5. What do you call the person who cuts your hair?

SAMANTHA

6. Does the kinship term for your mother's sister sound the same as the word ant? 

YUP

7. What do you call a knit closely fitting winter hat?

A TAMMY

8. What term do you use for shoes used in athletic activity like running or basketball?

GUTTIES (but with the Scottish guttural pronunciation i.e. no 't's.... guh''ies )

9. What term do you use for a long narrow sandwich?

SKINNY PIECE  (in Scotland, a sandwich is generally called "a piece" as in - a piece and jam)

In your response please state what region of your country you're from.

Scot living in USA

Ah yes as they saying goes, five or six or seven peoples divided by a common language. 

1.  Woodlouse

2.  Crayfish

3.  Showers

4.  Water fountain

5.  The Wonderful Mrs Wez, my tonsorial artiste!

6.  No, it's aaant!

7.  Wooly 'At

8.  Trainers

9.  Baguette

Sofa or settee.

Hard K's!

Wez from the sunshine south coast of England (currently residing in Ampsure)

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

John.

1 hour ago, SoftScience said:

Make sure you give the last syllable that up-tone. It'll just sound like nonsense, otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

I pronounce it “Luxury Yatcht”

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

I pronounce it throatwarblermangrove

49 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

What a coincidence!! That's exactly how I pronounce it too.

Silly boys, surely it's pronounced "Ying tong ying tong, Ying tong ying tong, Ying tong iddle I po, Ying tong iddle I po"!

Midwest U.S. (Michigan, Not quite Canada)

1. Pillbug or potato bug

2. Crawdad or Mudbug

3. Normal for Michigan

4. Drinking Fountain

5.Barber

6. Ant

7. Watchcap or Toque

8.Sneaker or Tennis shoe (when I was a kid we called 'em 'Tenner shoes' because they were named after a Mr. Tenner or so I was told by my older cousin who knew EVERYTHING...)

9. Hoagie, Hero, Sub, Grinder or Spuckie

and for extras points it is; Couch Koopon and Kyupola

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, JamesP said:

2. Crayfish (unless I'm ordering them in a fancy  restaurant where they get called langoustine )

Just to mix it up further and into pedantic mode :) crayfish are freshwater and  langoustine  (scampi to me!) are saltwater, mmmmm scampi 😁😁

Edited by Toe

5 hours ago, Toe said:

Just to mix it up further and into pedantic mode :) crayfish are freshwater and  langoustine  (scampi to me!) are saltwater, mmmmm scampi 😁😁

Ahh, a lover of the Dublin Bay Prawn.......:whistle: Well, they ARE bottom feeders!

6 hours ago, Toe said:

I'm with you on that, langoustines are definitely salt water crustacea, mmm, langoustine :eat:

1. Cheesy bug 2. Crayfish 3. Raining 4. Fountain 5. Hairdresser 6. Sound different 7. Woolly hat 8. Trainers 9. Baguette unless I’m near a subway 

Coming from the NE of England, I find nobody understands a word I say if I travel a few miles outside the region.