This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

SoftScience

How do you say in your English?

Posted (edited)

Let's have a little comparison of how we speak where we live. Thase are partly based on a linguistic study undertaken in the US, but with a few of my own additions.

1. What do you call the small arthropod that lives in wet conditions, often under decaying leaves or rocks that rolls up into a little ball when startled?

2. What do you call the small freshwater crustacean that resembles a small lobster?

3. What term do you use to describe the weather phenomenon where rain falls while the sun is simultaneously shining?

4. What do you call a public water dispensing device you can take a cool drink from?

5. What do you call the person who cuts your hair?

6. Does the kinship term for your mother's sister sound the same as the word ant? 

7. What do you call a knit closely fitting winter hat?

8. What term do you use for shoes used in athletic activity like running or basketball?

9. What term do you use for a long narrow sandwich?

In your response please state what region of your country you're from.

Edited by SoftScience

Two I could add, from having lived variously in the US Midwest, South, and Mid-Atlantic:

What do you call the long piece of 'front room' furniture you can sit or lay on?

(Couch, sofa, davenport, divan, etc.)

Words like 'coupon' and 'cupola': 1st syllable as koo- or as cue-?

1: Woodlouse

2: Crawfish

3: Typical british weather....

4: Water fountain

5: I call her Sarah

6: No

7: wooly hat

8: trainers

9: stick / banjo / sub depending on contents

East Anglia

Oh, and Sofa and "K".

1: Woodlouse

2: no name, we don't have them here

3: rain

4: an odd sight - we don't have them here 

5:  Andy [barber]

6: No

7: beanie

8: trainers

9: sandwich

Nor'n Ir'n

couch or sofa, depends on household and materials

Koopon

1. Slater.

2. Yabbie.

3. Female (because it can't make up its mind).

4. Bubbler.

5. Usually "Pat" (he's my niece's husband), but it depends on the job that he does ...

6. No - "arntie".

7. Beanie.

8. Joggers.

9. Misshapen - a sandwich starts out with two slices of bread. The equivalent on a baguette we call a "sub".

These are, of course, subject to regional variations: for instance, what I call a "suitcase" others call a "port"; riding two up on a bike I call "dinking", others say "doubling'; the list goes on and on!

1. Slater

2.We don't have them (although I believe some American ones have made it into rivers down south and are causing mayhem with the indigenous wildlife)

3.Rain (a better question for Brits would be "what do you call it when it's not raining?")

4.Long since removed but would be a water fountain

5.Barber for males, Hairdresser for females

6.Yes

7.Wooly Hat (but the Americanism of 'Beanie' would be a Millennial's answer)

8.Trainers

9.Baguette

Sofa or couch, K

East of Scotland (where we have at least 13 words/phrases for being drunk)

Duncan B

Posted (edited)

1. Woodlouse.

2. Crayfish.

3. Sun shower.

4. Water fountain.

5. Barber.

6. Aunt or Auntie.

7. Woolley 'at.

8. Trainers.

9. Baguette.

And settee.

Roger. North Yorkshire.

Edited by Roger Newsome

1. Nigel.

2. Dinner.

3. Typical.

4. A germ breeding ground.

5. Caroline.

6. No.

7. Itchy.

8. Uncomfortable.

9. Lunch.

Sarfend, Essex.

I'll go with Roger Newsome.

East Anglia (with Northern input)

Posted (edited)

Without reading any other replies so I'm not influenced. 

1. What do you call the small arthropod that lives in wet conditions, often under decaying leaves or rocks that rolls up into a little ball when startled?

Wood lice

2. What do you call the small freshwater crustacean that resembles a small lobster?

Crayfish

3. What term do you use to describe the weather phenomenon where rain falls while the sun is simultaneously shining?

A grand soft day. Typical Irish summer day or a sun shower. 

4. What do you call a public water dispensing device you can take a cool drink from?

A fountain 

A hairdresser 

6. Does the kinship term for your mother's sister sound the same as the word ant? 

With my accent: ant

Bobble hat

8. What term do you use for shoes used in athletic activity like running or basketball?

Runners previously but now trainers 

A roll

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. 

Edited by noelh

Wood lice

Cray fish

The sun is out and it's raining

Water fountain

Barber

No

Benny hat

Trainers

Baguette

Suffolk, UK

Can see how this is going, US descriptions will be totally different I expect

1/ Millipede.

2/ Yabby.

3/ Normal.

4/ Rare.

5/ Denis ( Barber )

6/ Aunty.

7/ Hat.

8/ Joggers.

9/ Sub

and from the great land of Australia.

1. Hedgehog

2. Crayfish

3. Showers

4. Fountain

5. Barber

6. No it sounds like aren't

7. Bobble hat

8. Trainers

9. Baguette

Northampton, England

2 hours ago, noelh said:

Without reading any other replies so I'm not influenced. 

Wood lice

Crayfish

A grand soft day. Typical Irish summer day or a sun shower. 

A fountain 

A hairdresser 

With my accent: ant

Bobble hat

Runners previously but now trainers 

A roll

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. 

All correct except perhaps, Barber, or "goin' to get my hair cut". Alan Northside Dublin.

These are FASCINATING! 

I should answer my own question for comparison 

Pill bug

Crayfish

Rain

Water Fountain

Barber

Aunt rhymes with gaunt

Took

Gym Shoes

Sub

10. Soft furniture for sitting on 

Couch

11. K-words 

Quep-on and que-peh-la

Learned English in Chicago

13 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

4. Bubbler.

How interesting to see that in AU! The only other people who regularly call them bubblers are those living in southeastern Wisconsin, typically around the city of Milwaukee. 

These questions have disappeared from the OP

10. Soft furniture for sitting on bean bag

11. K-words Kryptonite Kraftwerk

15 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Let's have a little comparison of how we speak where we live. Thase are partly based on a linguistic study undertaken in the US, but with a few of my own additions.

Sorry to bother you little friend but I'm just about to make you homeless.

Crayfish.

You go up on the roof,I'll fetch the bits from the van.

Not available to me on a site in the middle of town where there is also nowhere to go for a Pat Cash because the garden is overlooked,the customer has gone out and the Public Bog just around the corner shuts at 3:00pm because it's winter and the council wallahs who decide these things operate from a fully facilitated environment have a limited understanding of the needs of those that provide their pay.

Good morning Darling,how are you?Please be kind...

No.It may involve some questions about my mothers will when she pops off and I see the relations for the first time in thirty odd years.

My Titfer.

Running Shoes and Basketball Boots.

Is this mine? Cheers old fruit,I'm Hank Marvin.

Sunny Lincolnshire.

I hope this is of some use :penguin:

16 hours ago, SoftScience said:

SLATER

SHRIMP

WET

UNSANITARY 

WIFE

YES

HAT

TRAINERS

TOO SMALL

GREETINGS FROM WARWICKSHIRE :)

16 hours ago, SoftScience said:

When I was a kid we called them a Roly Poly, later some people I knew called them Pillbugs

Crawdad, sometimes Crawfish

Sunshowers, when I was a kid

Water Fountain

Barber, when I was a kid Stylist, when I was older, but lately I've been haircuts from a Barber

Yes it did

Stocking cap

Sneakers, when I was young, Running Shoes now

Sub

Kansas, United States of America

Might as well throw in here, since I 'stirred the pot' a little with the first reply.

Born and raised in the US 'Great Lakes' Midwest (as opposed to the Prairie); father's family from Michigan (only one generation removed from the UK), mother's from Ohio.

1. Pillbugs.

2. Crayfish. (My dad grew up calling them 'skippers'...a term I've never heard elsewhere.)

3. Sun shower. (Though my grandfather--my mother's father--called it a 'wolf's wedding,' a term he apparently brought back with him from service with the AEF in Europe during WW1. Never made any kind of sense to us as kids...but it was certainly memorable.)

4. Water fountain. (What would be the alternatives?)

5. Barber. (Or more properly 'Sir,' since the parents raised us to show a little respect.)

6. Sounds like 'Ant.' (Though I discovered later on that rhyming with 'gaunt' seemed near-universal throughout the American South.)

7. Watch cap. (Might be a WW2 generation carry-over, though all my relatives served in the Army and not the Navy.)

8. Gym shoes...with 'sneakers' a close second. (I suspect the first especially is a generational thing; started hearing 'basketball shoes' in the '70s, never 'trainers' until the late-'80s.)

9. Sub. (Though my dad always called it a 'Dagwood,' another generational thing.)

And for my own additions:

10. Grew up calling it a davenport. (This may be a Cleveland, Ohio-area thing.) 'Sofa' or 'couch' since then.

11. Hard-K sound for both. (Again, heard the 'cue-' pronunciation almost universally living in the South.)

Interesting responses, on the whole.

17 hours ago, SoftScience said:

1- Woodlouse (or if you’re female, errrgh creepy crawlers)

2- Crayfish (lost)

3- Shower (it’s bloody raining again)

4- Water Fountain though I haven’t seen one since I left school in 1976

5- Myself

6- as in aren’t (as for ‘gaunt’ I would pronounce that as Gor n t)

7- Woolly Hat or Bobble hat (or a cheap gimp mask)

8- Trainers

9- French Stick or soft roll or baguette 

10- The Front room is a lounge and we sit on a sofa or recline on a Chaise Longe

I’m a Londoner born to parents from Nottin,um, currently living in Northamptonshire were Cogenhoe is pronounced Cugnah, Rushden as Rooshden and everyone is m’duck!

And despite what my parents said, it is pronounced ‘barth’ or ‘parth’ even if there isn’t an R in the word!

33 minutes ago, Tony C said:

Cogenhoe is pronounced Cugnah,

Being Dussun born'n'bred, I call it Cook-no - but I go along with the rest of it :rofl:

7 hours ago, glatisant said:

All correct except perhaps, Barber, or "goin' to get my hair cut". Alan Northside Dublin.

I'm a southsider. Anyway I thought Northsiders used a bowl. Shave everything below the bowl. :wicked: