Flamingo!

bar side

I picked up a cheap little Flamingo kit on eBay for less than a tenner a while back.  I wasn’t sure what to do with it - use it as a donor for a scratch build, convert it to something else, build it as a ‘what if’.  Then I spotted this group build, and building it as per the kit decals fits the group build brief.  So no further excuse needed.

The kit is by PM Models of Istanbul (nice city, been there & enjoyed the stay) and there isn’t a lot too it

E2-asE7yGSP4mDgNxe0YeTbGeFG1i9E3Ntiv2BNO

The box art is pretty close to the real thing

1130531-large.jpg

Makes me think that that I should cut out the rudder and separate the tail horizontal stabilisers.  And that vent over the engine would look nicer with it opened up.  I don’t fancy cutting up the canopy to pose it open.  The kit nose also looks a little short.  Might stretch it slightly.

Got carried away cutting out the plastic tonight and test fitted it with masking tape & blue tac.

CpCi2jq2ssCvZ8TJvoLh092c0tH5Yvh1smP2Yatk

• Like 2

Bit of progress.  The rudder has come off, and the horizontal stabilisers have been cut.  The nose vent has been opened and the wings are together, along with the fuselage

cB7w2jcHDeM6jv4bAa7no7RpzrBYa9VCIElTkRzX

Out with the filler next as the joins aren’t great and there are some sink holes in the plastic.  Then add a 2-3mm extension to the nose before the front cowling goes on.  Going to need some weight in the nose too I suspect

• Like 1

Used the heavy filler on the worst of things.  Quick prime over to see how it looks & then a tidy up.  Still considering scribing some panel lines in, then preshading & paint.  The nose extension is done - see the blue line behind the front engine cowl.

ZxqKCsIaxgz2ttJwaet8oHqzypuIvR2lB3FOy9ZN

• Like 1

So join at the nose has been filled and sanded down.  The interior has had some paint too.  Seat belts still needed

7ugNVchjWh6Hg2XPnOY0ntjkqUsyGeBFniqBKENb

And I usually pose my models with the canopy open, so I took the plunge & cut the canopy.  I am adding some plasticard to the two canopy halves.  These will be cut to size when the glue is dry

4joKp5HrAY5nhKOet5kcn4VHhSZCnad2ElQWKW2_

• Like 4

I gave the body a quick coat of white.  Looks ok so I marked up panel lines & lightly scribed them.  So looks about ready for paint.  The plan is to do the body, wings & tail separately.  Easier to mask up the lower body red section

2R_gW6jqSDFZ_2nGOl25169Dd9-5j90Xm0o1a0sj

The temperature in the garage is a bit too low for night time spraying,  I’ll get on to it next week..  also need to finalise the nose weight.  She is a major tail sitter

• Like 3

Well tried to rush the paint job today.  Bad move.  Tried new paint - Revell rattle cans - not a fan.  So with bleed under, overspray and more I need to go back & do a major tidy up & redo 

nqTZj1T6s9t1TsctS3H95CsCDaguhvC_EVhPOmUq

She actually looks ok in this shot.  Believe me it’s flattering.  

• Like 3

Cheers @Silenoz.  Back in my almost good books again this day.  Bit more time & some repainting.  The wings were primed with grey and the red came out dull, so repainted them with white & then red again.  The bleed under seems to have improved after a couple of touch up sprays.  The bonnet black has gone on & needs some touch upend the canopy spray has bled onto the clear & needs some tidying.  Loads of fiddly jobs.  Need to get the black walkways on the wing roots redone & put some steps behind the wings - not in the kit but can be seen on the real thing.  Anyway, today’s update

8vGtb0e2UibyDvg5Fys_XSJwjCgDNr62uW1fpIOy

• Like 6

More on it today - broke the prop so fitted that on a new steel rod.  Glued on the wings & tail and painted the wheels.  Put on the instrument decal and added the access steps behind the wing root.  

4XPdscKJ0C8tLRjSvoCeP1KNEAqXH5SNL8QGF_By

So time for decals.  Nearly there, some seat belts maybe and the sensor under the left wing - speed measure?  And a top matt coat.  But until then this is her TC-EAN

gzvVKS8GTiWbn4DpSYmrgw8vPN1WDpI7hvolycMN

• Like 3

Bit of a late push tonight has seen seat belts made, top matt coat done, sensor made & fitted.  So just about there.  Tried a couple of pics to see what could go in the gallery.  Want to get a sunshine shot & maybe pose it in front of the HAS - fits the bill for a Turkish airbase.  But for tonight this is what I have

hrYl2dpCz9Uw5yDGHxsjg-0HiqEaChEn6pKTwve5

OwLe6tsPJmoFN199kPqN4VsNmrqI4tVrWRUKlftZ

2PT_kgwox0vPkIV6WfZRkX1c6RJsTcWHAO1Zb8SA

• Like 6

Cheers @zebra it’s one of those quirky kits that you can get.  Can’t get an RAF Chipmunk kit in 1/48 easily, even the Bulldog kit isn’t common, but a slightly obscure trainer used in Turkey, Switzerland and Spain - sure, no problem.  But it also looks like you have seen one about.  It looks familiar.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 10:13 AM, AdrianMF said:

Very nice - I'd never heard of one before, in fact I was expecting a DH Flamingo when I opened the thread. I do like a red and white trainer scheme.

Regards,

Adrian

Me either Adrian.  Found the kit & then had to look it up.  It was the red & white scheme on the box art that caught my eye.  Really want a nice red & white 1/48 Chipmunk

3 hours ago, bar side said:

Really want a nice red & white 1/48 Chipmunk

+1 but in 1/72. I guess I will have to get going with my Airfix one and some after market decals!

Regards,

Adrian

1 minute ago, AdrianMF said:

+1 but in 1/72. I guess I will have to get going with my Airfix one and some after market decals!

Regards,

Adrian

Well the Aeroclub vacforms come up on eBay every now & again, but the money is silly for a tiny little aircraft. Over £30 plus postage for a Bulldog too.  Think this one was well under £10 posted

• 1 year later...

That's a lovely job done there, Bar Side. Well done

I did the Revell MBB version in Spanish colours a while back. Just a nice quick little job.

Yours though is much higher quality, and well done on the canopy split.