Dragon 1/72 SdKfz. 232

Bob C.

I've been working on the above-mentioned kit for a while, finally determining that the kit represents a 2nd Series vehicle (based on Panzer Tracts 13-2 and Nuts and Bolts #35, primarily).   I then searched several books to find some identified units for a 2nd Series vehicle.  Not as easy as I had hoped (what is?).  I found a photo in Bruce Quarrie's "Panzers in the Balkans and Italy" p. 24, identified as "5th Panzer Division ... in Greece", and a much larger image of the same photo in Allied-Axis #4, p. 11, unit not identified.  The only visible marking besides the license plate is the name "Seydlitz" in Gothic script.  I've looked through all my decals, and can't find anything with that name.  Is anyone aware of any 1/72 decals, kit or aftermarket, that would have that name?

As an alternative, I found a photo of a Sdkfz 231 in Trojca/Munch "Panzerspahwagen at War", p. 105, identified as Wach-Bataillon Rgt. General Goring Pzgrp Kleist in Russia, July 1941 (though it appears to be a 1st Series vehicle), with a Viking ship and the same "Seydlitz" depicted.  Since apparently 231s and 232s were often paired together, I think I can assume that there is an unphotographed 232 with the Viking ship marking, which I can scrounge from the Roden SdKfz.231, but that kit is depicted as Norway 1940, and is named "Svam".  So if I am to go with a confirmed 2nd Series marking, I still need the "Seydlitz".

Any suggestions?  BTW, I am trying to keep this in Dunkelgrau.  Thanks for any assistance.     

• 3 weeks later...

The Search for “Seydlitz” Part 2

For anyone who may be considering a depiction of this vehicle, you and I are in luck.  The name “Seydlitz", and decals for that very vehicle, are available on Peddinghaus sheet #72 1216 Kfz 231-234 8 Rad Fahrzeuge.   The only blip I see to be worked out is that the decals identify the vehicle in 6 PD (yellow xx), not 5 PD as noted above.   Extra good news is that the quality of Peddinghaus’ decals has greatly improved since I first purchased some of  their sheets many years ago (10 +/-?).  On the other hand, their instructions leave much to be desired.  There are no decal placement diagrams as such.  There are single color profiles for 4 of the vehicles, and a  single  not-great photo for each of 2 other vehicles – for a decal sheet with 8 subjects!  It is also possible that the divisional symbols on 2 (including my intended  232) are a bit large.   Not that that can’t be easily solved from my accumulated extras, but still …  I will say that the smaller details, like the license plate and data plate numbers, are perfectly legible. 

So, anyone who can shed some light on this vehicle – which division, where located, markings placement,  will be greatly appreciated.

Bob C     

Edited by Bob C.