Heller B.707

I picked up a pair of Heller 1/72 B.707s from a well known online auction site for 40 bar. Obviously not complaining, but even at full retail the Heller B.707 represent stunning value for money. One of the kits will be finished in an Olympic livery. The other will be a B.707 with RR Conways either Lufthansa or BOAC. Does anyone have any idea who does 1/72 decals for either Lufthansa or BOAC B.707-400 series?

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

3 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

The Airfix 707 has Conways.

Didn't the 420 series have quite different wings to the 707-320B/C family?

To convert a 320B/C to a 420 requires more than just replacing engines.

As does the Minicraft issue of the -400 with correct wing.

9 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Yes.

The Hanhen decals come with instructions on what is required to modify the wing.

Tommo.

18 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Problem is that the Airfix and Minicraft Conways are awful. Really awful. The Airfix ones are miles off.

Good morning.

The 707 family is probably one of the most complicated among airliners.
Let's make it clear.
Our friend has two 1/72 707, so 1/144 is out of discussion.

The Heller kit is a long body one, a -300B series.
With the introduction of RR engines, -400 means RR engines, so -430 is the RR Long body, but only corresponding to the 320 with Pratt&Witney JT-4A.

Please note: only 320 and not -320B or -320C.

Lufthansa had four 707-430 ( D-ABOG, D-ABOC, D-ABOD, D-ABOF)

BOAC had ten 707-430, actually designated 707-436 (G-APFF, G-APFH, G-APFI, G-APFJ, G-APFK, G-APFL, G-APFM, G-APFN, G-APFO, G-APFP)

Both Lunthansa and BOAC operated -300B and 300C (cargo) series, with Pratt&Witney JT-3D engines.
Their designation was BOAC 707-336B/C, Lufthansa 707-330B/C, but this is another story.

Now back to modelling, the wing plantform at the root of the -430 is closer, except for the dimensions, to the -120 (short body) series, but not impossible to achive from the -300B wing, if the Ha Hen instruction (that I don't know them) are correct.
You'll also need to rescribe a very short section of the split flaps under the fillet at the root.

I see a big challenge in rebuild the wing-to-body fairing, that, obviously is closer to the short body one and involves both the wing and the fuselage modifications.

As a side note, just speaking of "side": unfortunately Heller misaligned the cockpit with the passengers' cabin windows.
So, in a side view of the fuselage, you should see an ideal line running through the bottom of the pax windows hitting the lower end of the first frame of the cockpit.

Take a look on the pics on the net and you'll get the point. The liveries of that time are merciless with misalignments.

Sorry if I have been tedious, but I wanted to share with you the information I collected and hope they are right.

Good luck, Tommo, with your build.

Best regards.

Eugenio

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:33, 72linerlover said:

Good morning.

The 707 family is probably one of the most complicated among airliners.
Let's make it clear.
Our friend has two 1/72 707, so 1/144 is out of discussion.

The Heller kit is a long body one, a -300B series.
With the introduction of RR engines, -400 means RR engines, so -430 is the RR Long body, but only corresponding to the 320 with Pratt&Witney JT-4A.

Please note: only 320 and not -320B or -320C.

Lufthansa had four 707-430 ( D-ABOG, D-ABOC, D-ABOD, D-ABOF)

BOAC had ten 707-430, actually designated 707-436 (G-APFF, G-APFH, G-APFI, G-APFJ, G-APFK, G-APFL, G-APFM, G-APFN, G-APFO, G-APFP)

Both Lunthansa and BOAC operated -300B and 300C (cargo) series, with Pratt&Witney JT-3D engines.
Their designation was BOAC 707-336B/C, Lufthansa 707-330B/C, but this is another story.

Now back to modelling, the wing plantform at the root of the -430 is closer, except for the dimensions, to the -120 (short body) series, but not impossible to achive from the -300B wing, if the Ha Hen instruction (that I don't know them) are correct.
You'll also need to rescribe a very short section of the split flaps under the fillet at the root.

I see a big challenge in rebuild the wing-to-body fairing, that, obviously is closer to the short body one and involves both the wing and the fuselage modifications.

As a side note, just speaking of "side": unfortunately Heller misaligned the cockpit with the passengers' cabin windows.
So, in a side view of the fuselage, you should see an ideal line running through the bottom of the pax windows hitting the lower end of the first frame of the cockpit.

Take a look on the pics on the net and you'll get the point. The liveries of that time are merciless with misalignments.

Sorry if I have been tedious, but I wanted to share with you the information I collected and hope they are right.

Good luck, Tommo, with your build.

Best regards.

Eugenio

Thanks Eugenio,

I was aware of some of the info you kindly posted and it will remain as useful reference for me. I'm not sure how far I'll take the wing conversion at this stage. I have ordered a set of HaHen BOAC and Lufthansa decals and I'll wit and see what they recommend by the way of converting the wings before I decide.

Don't hold you breath I build at a glacial pace and I have a six week overseas work trip coming up shortly and I have no intention of starting anything new this side of the trip. Also the Welsh Models 1/72 Electra and the TAA Rood decals are calling me.

Tommo.