1/350 Scale USS Fletcher

Papa4ways

Hi Folks,

I could really do with some help with the painting of this wee kit, being colour blind, I'm struggling with these particular instructions, the problem is the Deck Colour, I don't know if I'm right, it being XF-24, which as far as I can make out, it's dark Sea Grey, is it right?, it just looks a bit too dark, or is it the colour mix showing on the instructions, the mix of XF-9 + XF-50 a 1 to 2 mix

I'd appreciate any help I can get with this, I know it's just a small kit, but I'd like to get it as right as I can

Thank You 

Deck colour for pretty much all US warships during WW2 was 20-B Deck Blue, with the exception of aircraft carrier flight decks which were slightly different (they used wood stains intended to match 20-B but didn't).

It's a dark blue-grey shade

US10_2048x2048.jpg?v=1534170372

Noting the colour-blindness, it's not s heavily saturated blue, so it shouldn't be vibrant. It's not entirely unlike the ANA 623 Glossy Sea Blue used on US Navy aircraft from 1944 onwards.

It's second darkest of all the Measure 12 Modified colours on Fletcher, the others being 5-N Navy Blue, 5-O Ocean Gray and 5-H Haze Gray used on the vertical surfaces:

5-N

US08_1024x1024.jpg?v=1534170371

5-O

US06_1024x1024.jpg?v=1534170370

5-H

US05_5e24eba9-020f-47dc-98bb-11737893938

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Papa4ways said:

the mix of XF-9 + XF-50 a 1 to 2 mix

XF-9 is hull red

XF-50 is field blue, which is dark grey-blue.  

Did you mean XF-8, which is flat blue?   XF8- 1 pt to XF50- 2 pts , That sounds believable from what Jamie mentions.  

XF-24 is dark grey

HTH

Hi Troy,

The instructions definitely show an mix of colours as XF-9:1, XF-50:2, but where, many of you will know, the painting instructions come in only black and white, I hope, or has my colour blindness got really bad, and all there is is small hexagon with a number beside it, and what colour you paint depends on how dark or light each shape is, and for someone like me, colour blind, it's a nightmare of sorts, trying to decide which colour of grey colour hexagon goes with which grey of colour on the ship, the numbers don't help in this situation, and means, people like me, have to depend on the goodness of fellow model builders

as always, I'm always grateful for any and all help, it really is appreciated

Hi Jamie,

That's the one, I'm ready to start painting, but with the paint instructions the way they are, it's all on hold just now

Fred

Edited by Papa4ways

Hi Jamie,

Thank so much for doing what you've done, it is appreciated, but could I ask one thing of you, simply because of my colour problem, it looks to me that it's just grey on grey colours on the Hull and Superstructure, could you please give me the paint codes, I use Vallejo paints just now, I don't know what other good Acrylic Model Paints there is, I used to use Revell paints, but I gave up on that when I found Vallejo, sorry if that upsets some people, but I'm always open to suggestions of other products, if you or anyone else think there's some other good quality Acrylic Paint I should try, I'll give it a go

My problem is, there's no model shop where I live, there used to be one in Carlisle, but he stopped selling models and now only sells Train Sets, meaning, there's no opportunity for me to actually see what new products and or paints there is, so if there's a good quality Acrylic Paint you think I should try, tell me, I'm always open to suggestions

22 hours ago, Papa4ways said:

Hi Jamie,

Thank so much for doing what you've done, it is appreciated, but could I ask one thing of you, simply because of my colour problem, it looks to me that it's just grey on grey colours on the Hull and Superstructure, could you please give me the paint codes, I use Vallejo paints just now, I don't know what other good Acrylic Model Paints there is, I used to use Revell paints, but I gave up on that when I found Vallejo, sorry if that upsets some people, but I'm always open to suggestions of other products, if you or anyone else think there's some other good quality Acrylic Paint I should try, I'll give it a go

My problem is, there's no model shop where I live, there used to be one in Carlisle, but he stopped selling models and now only sells Train Sets, meaning, there's no opportunity for me to actually see what new products and or paints there is, so if there's a good quality Acrylic Paint you think I should try, tell me, I'm always open to suggestions

Hi,

I don't use acrylics myself - I only ever liked one brand and that's been defunct for about 20 years. There is a new brand which I haven't tried but started by a man I know of in the US. His brand is called Scale Color and he sells water based acrylics and makes US Navy shades. They may be worth a go?

The original image isn't mine - it came from here:

DD445-USS-Fletcher.jpg

For the purposes of assisting you with colour placement, I have annotated their drawing as follows:

96941346-8d6c-436a-8e6d-58860cea2f4d.png

Jamie,

Thanks so much for your help, you've no idea how much its appreciated, and, I just happen to have those colours in my Vallejo Paints, so it looks like I'll be busy today, thanks

I started liking Vallejo Acrylic when I was getting fed up of how thick the Revell and Humbrol Enamel paints had become, I saw some of these pro builders on youtube using Vallejo when they were spray painting, so I thought, why not, and even though my pressure gauge on my compressor is not working properly, I found even now I'm hand painting, I get a better finish with Vallejo, but as I say, I'm always open to suggestions to get the best finish possible

Once again Jamie, thank you so much for what you've done, you've made painting this wee Ship so much easier for me

• Like 1