SAAF Sunderland V

keithjs

As a favour for a SA friend I've told him I'll finish my Special Hobby kit in the markings of 35 Squadron SAAF. 

After some initial research am I correct in assuming that no guns were carried in the turrets and there was no offensive armament (ie bombs or depth charges) carried either?

I certainly get that impression from all the pictures I've aquired but thought I'd make sure first.

Thanks for any help/confirmation.

6 hours ago, keithjs said:

As a favour for a SA friend I've told him I'll finish my Special Hobby kit in the markings of 35 Squadron SAAF. 

After some initial research am I correct in assuming that no guns were carried in the turrets and there was no offensive armament (ie bombs or depth charges) carried either?

I certainly get that impression from all the pictures I've aquired but thought I'd make sure first.

Thanks for any help/confirmation.

If you can trust Wiki,  SAAF 35 Squadron, Sunderland's flew from April 1945

to October 1956.

Obviously  from April till May 1945 VE day, I would think the Sunderland's would

carry offensive and defensive armament.

Up to August 1945 (VJ Day), depends on whether any SAAF Sunderland's flew operations in the Indian Ocean??

Certainly By Dec 1945, I would think none were carried, but the capability was still there up until 1956.

I can't find any indication of SAAF Sunderland's serving in the Korean war? If they did defensive armament would be

carried I would think at least.

I'm certainly no expert on the SAAF, these photos (you may have seen) don't show any armament in turrets

SAAF Sunderland GR5

Regards

Alan

It seems at least in the early days they still had full capability, they kept the upper turret long after the RAF and RNZAF removed theirs, some photo's show dope patches over the fixed cheek gun positions, and it wouldn't take long to fit the full complement of .303's and .50's if needed . 

4 hours ago, Sydhuey said:

It seems at least in the early days they still had full capability, they kept the upper turret long after the RAF and RNZAF removed theirs, some photo's show dope patches over the fixed cheek gun positions, and it wouldn't take long to fit the full complement of .303's and .50's if needed . 

Our Mk V/MR5's arrived sans Upper Turrets, some/many had bow gun slots

which were kept or covered over during their service

Regards

Alan