Best/Most accurate FW190D-11 in 1/48?

Gardner95x

Well,  the D-11 isn't exactly common....  so as a result there at least 3 kits in 1/48th....plus conversions.

Dragon, and a Revell rebox, not rated as being great (it's a modified D-9),  and conversion fro the Tamiya D-9, I mentioin these for completeness.

So your choice really are 

Eduard, but I think this was only in the JV44 dual combo, (with a D-9)  and the D-11/D-13 dual combo, and not as separate kit. 

Fine if you want both.   Some minor issues, common to all the Eduard D series.

The decals are likely to be better than the next one,  don't know if they are currently available but they do turn up frequently.

Hobbyboss,  the most modern, and I have never read any wailing or gnashing of teeth about  it being horribly wrong,  and when HB mess up, there usually is,   so if you just want a stand alone D-11, probably this, and it's cheap too.   Not sure about the decals.   D-11 decals are available from Eaglecals though.

@tank152  is very knowledgeable about these things,  so he might be able to add more.

need to make dinner or I'd do some searches for more info.

HTH

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Hobbyboss,  the most modern, and I have never read any wailing or gnashing of teeth about  it being horribly wrong,  and when HB mess up, there usually is,   so if you just want a stand alone D-11, probably this, and it's cheap too.   Not sure about the decals.   D-11 decals are available from Eaglecals though.

The most modern, cheap, and a great fitting kit. There were some discussions regarding the accuracy of the decals, if Fw 190D-11 <61 wasn't in fact <81.

2 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

The most modern, cheap, and a great fitting kit. There were some discussions regarding the accuracy of the decals, if Fw 190D-11 <61 wasn't in fact <81.

The HobbyBoss kit does build up nice and easy but it is missing the upper and lower bump for the outboard wing cannons as well as the gun port being too far out on the wing. None of the 1/48 kits got the supercharger intake correct. it would seem that all of them are based on a museum example except for the Revell  trimaster based kit which is the closest to what the real supercharger intake looked like.

2 hours ago, Gardner95x said:

What kits have conversion kits for them, just Tamiya I assume?

not sure, there maybe one for the DML/Dragon/Italeri kit,   I remember reading about ones for the tamiya

if you stick "tamiya fw 190 d-11 conversion"  into google you will get a load of hits. 

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/axis/luft/fw/190/fw190d11.htm

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/fw190d11wmreviewbg_1.htm

I can't recall the full details,  bit Revell of Germany issued a revised version of the Dragon kit as a D-11.

https://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/luft/cleaverd11.htm

Most recently, ProModeler acquired a license on the molds, and released the kit as a Fw-190D-11, with markings for the Papageistaffel Rot 4, and for Weiss "<61."

Unfortunately for ProModeler, there is more to a Fw-190D-11 than merely a bigger supercharger intake, Ta-152 prop and "flat top" gun bay cover and upper forward fuselage piece. The Jumo 213E that powered the D-11 is slightly different in overall size, which requires that the cowling has some extra bumps and fairings. The difference is subtle, and many might miss it, but once you have seen it, it is as obvious as a zit on the end of your nose. It doesn't help that the spinner for the Ta-152 prop was not taken from the original Ta-152 kit, and is misshapen, or that the Ta-152 intake also didn't come from the original kit - it's not misshapen, but there's more work than there should be in getting it right.

which may or may not be correct.

I think these have been superseded by the Eduard and HB kits though. 

I'm not turning up decent discussions,   this on Hyperscale 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/opinions-on-hobby-boss-1-48-fw-190d-t211759.html]

about HB vs Eduard D-9,  which is not very helpful......   

this has some comments on the HB decals, 

10 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

There were some discussions regarding the accuracy of the decals, if Fw 190D-11 <61 wasn't in fact <81.

<61

fw190d111.jpg&key=1df962341b0111280314df

7 hours ago, Nachtwulf said:

The HobbyBoss kit does build up nice and easy but it is missing the upper and lower bump for the outboard wing cannons as well as the gun port being too far out on the wing. None of the 1/48 kits got the supercharger intake correct. it would seem that all of them are based on a museum example except for the Revell  trimaster based kit which is the closest to what the real supercharger intake looked like.

There is no surviving D-11,  so I presume you are talking about the D-13 survivor?   

Not got access to all my books, I'll have to do some checking.

I have both the Eduard D-11/D-13 set, and the HB D-11,   but not easily accessible.   

@Gardner95x   as some of the above will show,  there does not seem to be definitive answer  to your question,  funnily enough  there are not some as simple as comaprison pics of the Eduard vs HB kits, plus comparison to the real thing either. 

It may also depend on your own personal level of OCD on the subject.

I'm going to stick a @Jerry Crandall  in here,  he doesn't visit that often, but maybe worth asking him.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nachtwulf said:

None of the 1/48 kits got the supercharger intake correct. it would seem that all of them are based on a museum example except for the Revell  trimaster based kit which is the closest to what the real supercharger intake looked like.

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

There is no surviving D-11,  so I presume you are talking about the D-13 survivor? 

The sole surviving D-13's supercharger intake is a repro. The original got hacked off by 'a drunk with an axe' when the plane was stored outside (see Jerry Crandall's book 'Yellow 10'). If the Revell Trimaster's looks right, it's presumably based on WW2 photos?

I made a D-11 and a D-13 using the Tamiya Fw 190D-9 and Eagle Parts conversions which looked OK, but that was a while ago, things have moved on.

I've got the Eduard D-11 / D-13 in my stash, looks very good, typical modern Eduard quality -  but I've not built it. Now out of production and just checked Hannants... only 3 left.

Cheers

• Like 1

I've built the D11 by hobbyboss and builds up really nicely, as i read before the main points to solve are the bumps for the cannons and the placing of them which are misplaced. 

Regarding the decals, they set up surprisingly well, there is no evidence of the 81 ever existed but many pics about the 61... I finally went down with the 81 since the group build was ending.

Regarding shape, in general it looks correct, i have compared the model before assembly with the monography by squadron of the D series and it was flawless and putting both kits side by side with the eduard..are pretty much the same only by the lack of rivets in the hb.

The intake issue , i took reference by the squadron book... And as far i knew it was replaced... I made that panel disassembed to get a better look at the engine...so it is not as visible as other jejeje

I recommend the hb kit... For sure i would do it again.

I hope it helped.

I invite you to see it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

There were some discussions regarding the accuracy of the decals, if Fw 190D-11 <61 wasn't in fact <81

61 or 81?

Jerry Crandall refers to 'White <61' in his book but does say 'the number '6' was converted from a previous number, possibly an '8'. Perhaps at one time it was "<81".' (The Focke-Wulf 190 Dora Vol 2, p 37, Jerry Crandall).

Eagle Cals EC48#19* & 59 has decals for both 61 and 81, but the top of the '6' isn't correct (there should be no stencil break at the top of the number). Presumably Eagle Cals got this wrong because later photos showing the fuselage and number 6 in detail weren't available then.

Eduard's D-11 has decals for W Nr 2200XX Red 4 of Jv 44, W Nr 2200XX <58, and W Nr 220014 <61 - with a correct '6'.

Cheers

*EC48-19, which I used, are the original release. EC48-59 appears to be a later revised release, but the top of the 6 is still incorrect.

Edited by Johnson
More info

If i would look for authenticity i would go with the 61 and there are many pics of it in bad worishafen...of at least 3 i have seen.... But i built the 81 because the decals themselves where great and the groupbuild where coming to an end jeje...sorry fritz!

I had Eduards D9 and gave up on it as it was giving me issues so I imagine a D11 would give me trouble too. 

I would try a Tamiya D9 but I’ve heard it’s a bit  inaccurate in regards to the landing gear?

1 minute ago, Gardner95x said:

I had Eduards D9 and gave up on it as it was giving me issues

as in what? 

they are noted for being over engineered,  and have very precise fit, and they need to be done carefully,  and not always as per the instructions.  

But, there are plenty of build that have gone OK.  

3 minutes ago, Gardner95x said:

I would try a Tamiya D9 but I’ve heard it’s a bit  inaccurate in regards to the landing gear?

it undoubtedly build like tamiya. I think it has more issues than the landing gear (tricky landing gear is a Dragon problem)

More searches will turn up the Tamiya problems, and there are aftermarket sets to deal with it.  

one thing that Hobby Boss are noted for is being good kits,  and the few issues that are described do not sound really serious.    Speaking as someone who has gone down the rabbit hole and through the looking glass on a few subjects,  if you want that kind of accuracy,  you will need to do some digging of your own, and I'd suggest,  buying the relevant kits to make up your own mind as to what is an issue or not.   

If you don't want to get that involved,  from all that has been said,  pick up a Hobby Boss D-11,   full retail is £14, they can be got for less. 

HTH

• Like 1

I tried building it with the gun cover etc closed so I had fit issues, my own fault really for not following the instructions properly.

Okay I’ll think I’ll go with the Hobbyboss kit then, I’ve only just got into modelling so I’ll stick to the easier kits for now!

Thanks

Jack

8 minutes ago, Gardner95x said:

I tried building it with the gun cover etc closed so I had fit issues, my own fault really for not following the instructions properly.

Maybe not,  the instructions aren't always great, and they are not engineered to be built closed up :fraidnot:

have a read of this

note the non-instructions ways this has been done,  and the need to get some parts really aligned very precisely,  wing spar and the way he left the fuselage internals 'float'

Well worth a read for the clarity of the description  and illustration of the work done. 

11 minutes ago, Gardner95x said:

Okay I’ll think I’ll go with the Hobbyboss kit then, I’ve only just got into modelling so I’ll stick to the easier kits for now!

From the builds I have seen, this is a straightforward build, so is probably your best bet.  

And you can blame me if it's not ;) 

22 hours ago, Gardner95x said:

I had Eduards D9 and gave up on it as it was giving me issues so I imagine a D11 would give me trouble too. 

I have tested using the new Eduard Fw190-A upper wing to the Eduard Fw190-D and it is a perfect fit.

getPart.jpg

So if you had the overtree kit of the New A-8 then you would not have to worry about the separate gun covers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From what I remember, the wing guns are mislocated too far out, no upper or lower breech blisters, the cowl still has the bulges for the cowl guns, even though none were fitted (plastic is thick enough to sand them down), while there is engine detail viable through the wheel well, it is minimal.  Also, the cowl flap in front of the supercharger is fixed closed, not open as in the kit.

Here's my build of the Hobbyboss FW-190D-11 ...

https://imodeler.com/2017/12/1-48-fw-190d-11-jv-44-a-wulf-in-parrots-clothing/

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/viewtopic.php?p=2639636#p2639636

tail-dragon-171216-5a35617e2acb5-800x421

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 4