Day glow paint

canberra kid

Day-glo paints existed before WW2 and were used for a number of uses during the war by US forces but I believe they appeared on aircraft schemes only in the late '50s. 1957 is the first time I've seen fluorescent paint mentioned in any USAF regulation, with the USN following in 1959.

As you may be interested in UK use, I'd have to dig the relevant documentation but I believe any use started well into the '60s

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Day-glo paints existed before WW2 and were used for a number of uses during the war by US forces but I believe they appeared on aircraft schemes only in the late '50s. 1957 is the first time I've seen fluorescent paint mentioned in any USAF regulation, with the USN following in 1959.

As you may be interested in UK use, I'd have to dig the relevant documentation but I believe any use started well into the '60s

4 hours ago, Ossington said:

I think US/USN usage was before the late 50's. Hellcat and B-17 drones are reputed to have used dayglo well before then. Second line and training units seem to be the early adopters.

umm, I should have known it wouldn't be clear cut, thanks for your input chaps, I have something to mull over now.

John

42 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

umm, I should have known it wouldn't be clear cut, thanks for your input chaps, I have something to mull over now.

John

Well, if its only RAF then  from the 1960s onwards. US then maybe earlier.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ossington said:

I think US/USN usage was before the late 50's. Hellcat and B-17 drones are reputed to have used dayglo well before then. Second line and training units seem to be the early adopters.

Could be, but the official specifications for these schemes did not mention fluorescent colours, only standard glossy colours like yellow, orange ANA 508 and Insignia Red. All pictures I've seen seem to confirm that use of standard schemes, but of course there could be many more that I've missed

• Like 1

I'm sure dayglo was used by the RAF from the late fifties. A few years ago I completed the Special Hobby Balliol in a silver/dayglo scheme taken from a profile in SAM and this aircraft was out of large scale service by the end of the decade. Meteor T7's and vampire T11's also were finished in silver and dayglo for a while, will need to check my references for dates. I think its a good looking scheme and can be spectacular on a model!

Cheers, Paul

Edited by ptmvarsityfan
Duplicated line

I checked into the RAF use of dayglo paints and if I understood things right then these were introduced around 1958, so a bit earlier than I initially believed.

Wonder if it may be worth contacting the company that started it all to verify when they started making aircraft-grade paints. The Day-Glo Color Corp., the company started in the '30s by the inventors of dayglo paints, is still in existance and maybe they could help.

https://www.dayglo.com/

• Thanks 1

A very interesting subject :)  

As far as I can see, in the US it was adopted from the late 1950s. The B-17, Privateers drones etc. were essentially red/orange and not dayglo.  I'm happy to be proved wrong, though :) 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner