Lockheed Twins (and a CONNIE ) Civvies

Here is the Academy wing... 

IMG_20191030_231929

The extension piece doesn't need to be there on the bottom part. 

Time to commit.... 

IMG_20191030_232306

The flap rails and channels are very undersized and need to be redone anyway. 

As for the fuselage, I've started making some windows, removed the top turret placement and filled the front gun positions. 

IMG_20191030_231716

I'm leaving the PV1 door in place with a window inserted and the astrodome will stay. 

So this is an early civil adaptation as alluded to in Moa's previous post, complete with the ventral gun position bulge, and I think it's going to be a paint job all over, in some style or other. 

For a change....! 😎

• Like 7

Some progress with the Academy Ventura. 

IMG_20191103_210602

Precious little faffing about with the interior, just a cockpit section. 

The vertical Tailplanes were disastrously wrong in the demarcation between the fins and the rudders. I filled the moulding lines with stretched sprue, sanded them flat and scratched new hinge lines. 

I emphasised the outline by foiling the fins and leaving the rudders. 

IMG_20191103_210635

Also a few other foil details, the access door and the cockpit roof. 

The clear canopy is a strange item.... Kind of bulged, even on the front line between the screens. I flattened it down a bit and added a line of stretched sprue right on the front to get a better straight line in profile, but even the side windows are slightly curved. 

There's little details being sorted out on the Lodestar.... I think I have the nacelles and intakes sorted to suit the P&W engines, and it's time to get her up and standing next. 

IMG_20191103_210716

Loving the look of the Lodestar’s airframe. Just a bit longer than the L14, and not quite as........ Well, just a little more slim in proportion! 

I really fancy trying to make one in 1.48 out of the Revell Ventura PV1 kit 

Later - 

Portly..... That's the word I was looking for! 

Not quite as Portly as the L14. Super Electra. 😊🤔👌

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

really fancy trying to make one in 1.48 out of the Revell Ventura PV1 kit

As do I.  Perhaps after the Flying Boat and Floatplane GB.

There's an issue with the modified cowlings on the Lodestar that I'm trying to resolve. 

They're just a bit too big in diameter to fit on the nacelles and allow air to get to the intakes on top and bottom. 

IMG_20191105_172037

The nearer one has the foil stripped off and the addon cooling flaps. It's been back in the drill and turned to reduce the diameter down level with the step I had turned previously. 

IMG_20191105_172107

That leaves it a little short. 

Hmmmmm. Im wondering if I can extend the rear with thin strip added on the edge, or if I have enough plastic there to turn another little step for the cooling Gills. 

It's all getting a bit tricky..... 

The tailwheel is on, with a scratchbuilt leg and fork. I searched every sprue in the box! I'm sure it's supposed to be there right next to the wheel parts but..... 

If it was there, it's gone now. 

Anyway the part is very frail and breakable - like with the Hudson! - so I'm better off with a brass leg drilled in. 

IMG_20191105_175429

• Like 4

I've turned another step around the back rim of the cowling, and it didn't fall apart. 

And strips of yogurt pot, one each side, cut with some curve around the corner of the pot so that they sit slightly flared on the cowlings, to represent the Gills in an open position. 

IMG_20191105_193521

IMG_20191105_193407

There's tidying up and trimming to do, and redoing the Ali foil, but I think it's an improvement on what I had. 

😇

• Like 3

Port engine is fitted. 

IMG_20191105_221640

IMG_20191105_221734

IMG_20191105_221846

I think that's the best I'm going to get.

IMG_20191012_220055 ae7fbe2984e8949f2288c44cd9a882af

I went for a quick look around on the Seaplanes and Flying Boats GB...... 

Some great stuff going on, and I have one of these...... 

IMG_20191105_222649

Just wondering if I should take a dive in, and try to knock it together before the deadline. 

Not that much to it, but the decals are a little skewed out of register..... 

Like I haven't got enough to do..... 

• Like 6

A bit of action on the Academy Ventura. 

Having come this far in dealing with the Fowler flaps on these Lockheeds, I reckoned it would be rather slack of me to omit this one from the procedure! 

IMG_20191107_211718

IMG_20191107_211802

While I had the bottom panel on the cutting mat I decided to remove part of the wheelwell roof to make the space where the wheel /tyre would retract into, and I made a corresponding shape in my rear spar. 

There was a bit of a panic as I started in with the glue when I noticed that the engine assembly had to go in the nacelle half first!! 

IMG_20191107_212559

That was dramatic.... 😐

Anyway job done and I can work out the painting thing later. 

IMG_20191107_214428

IMG_20191107_214442

This is not the build sequence that I've got used to. I gotta get the thing assembled first, before the paint goes on. 

I got myself a tube of this Perfect Plastic Putty at the LMS. 

Holy Cow......

HOW GOOD IS THAT STUFF???!!! 

I fear nought with THAT tube in my box of things 💯

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Well, the Lockheeds have been on the back burner for a while now while I have been messing around with several other things,...... 

But they're definitely not forgotten, and I've been pondering how to proceed with decor and finish. 

The Academy Ventura has really grown on me as I fiddle around with it. Apart from the disastrous demarcations between the vertical fins and the rudders, the detailing and panel lines are great, and finely done. 

Well, I got some white primer sprayed on the entire airframe and spent some time sorting out a few little items that came to light. 

Then matt white by brush, thinned. 

And going over the etched panel lines with a blade and pencil so they're not lost, like a kind of preshading. 

I got the antiglare black panel painted on the nose, and I've been plotting where a side stripe would go, and weighing up the options. 

I've gone for yellow and possibly with a blue pinstripe along the top, taking the design cue from my Curtiss C46. 

Masking and painted windows and cheat lines is not a process I'm practiced at. 

IMG_20200126_131112

IMG_20200126_131153

My attempts at keeping the panels "alive" through the paintwork! 

I decided to peel off the masking to see what I got.... 

IMG_20200126_131240

IMG_20200126_133040

IMG_20200126_133056

That's the state of play so far 

• Like 4

@DMC

Dennis, I meant to say, having done this in parallel with the MPM Lodestar, we have big problems with the nacelles and cowlings on top of the wings, under the wings, in front of the wings..... 

In respect of a full conversion of the Revell 1.48 PV1 kit to a Lodestar. 

Not insurmountable, but some creative thinking and hacking will be required. 

The alternatives.... Hmmm. 

I've already cut the window apertures in mine..... 😯

It's the £100+ kits that would cause fear and trepidation for me. I think. 

I've never had one though, I'm only guessing!! 

A little bit more done, and I'm trying to figure out what decor to add. 

I'm going with de-icing boots, and the cowling fronts are painted in yellow. One is now fixed to the cowling. 

IMG_20200127_192033

So the choices open to me are-

1. Transportes Aereos Bolivar, but I'd have to shorten it to Trans Aereos Bolivar

IMG_20200127_192151

2. Scandinavian Airways System, which is included on the Italieri sheet for the civil Junkers Ju52 Lufthansa kit I just got... 

IMG_20200127_192123

The yellow and blue linings would be very suitable for this already. 

3. Just a plain, private owner, untitled aircraft much like I have now. 

None of these are true replicas of real planes, but that's never bothered me to the point of abandoning a project! 

Any of these will look pretty good on a Lockheed Twin. 

🤔

• Like 3

I have a decision..... 

IMG_20200127_225613

There was a bit of a squeeze under the wings. There's a piece to be applied to the flap when the time comes. 

I thought -1279 was a reasonable variation with the digits from -1267.

IMG_20200127_225651

I can redo the side registrations in the same way. 

So we have a warsurplus airframe bought for a song by TAB and done out with some seats and a few extra windows installed in their inimitable style of Aero-engineering. And the business plan is to go in direct competition with Lloyd Aereo Boliviano with their shiny Lodestars. 

The writing is quite big along the fuselage but it line up nicely with the cockpit windows, and these guys aren't going to buy a whole new set of slightly smaller giant stencils when they have that set already! 😎

• Like 5

The Academy Lockheed is coming on. 

They've used an unusual method to attach the wheel to the u/c leg and I'd blown it long ago by sticking the wheel halves together.

IMG_20200202_202832

So I made a couple of stub axles to suit the holes in the hubs, and filed a smaller diameter lug to fit the drilled out holes in the legs.

All these Lockheeds should have a diagonal leg brace to the outboard side, so these were made up and stuck in drilled holes. The main legs went in and the braces trimmed and glued.

IMG_20200201_232510

Gave them plenty of time and then glued the wheels on, aligned the flat spots with the ground level, and left them. 

The tailwheel is retractable on the PV1 but the doors close again with the wheel down leaving very little difference in appearance with the L14 and L18. 

So now she's standing. 

IMG_20200202_201839

IMG_20200202_201940

IMG_20200202_202022

Something I noticed on that picture that Moa posted months ago (I'll try to find it), were the exhaust pipes fitted along the side of the nacelles. The stubs I have fixed to the nacelles have outlet holes that I have drilled out to take some Ali tube, and I'm going to make some up and see what they look like. 

Also, the fitting of the flaps. I've filed 5 flat spots on the edge of the flap and fixed 5 little flat boards at an appropriate angle.... 

IMG_20200202_202115

The idea is that they'll line up with the 5 rails under the wing and glue the mating flat surfaces neatly together. 

So, that's the vision of the procedure that's in my head...... 

I'll let you know how it goes 😇

Here's the picture I was talking about. 

Civil Ventura

Edited by rob Lyttle
Pic
  • Like 2

Research for flap positions has thrown up a couple of interesting pictures. 

Try this one to an ABPic... 

https://images.app.goo.gl/k9xPPrQR8fiAUR6r8

An early conversion straight from a PV1, complete with gun position bulge underneath the fuselage. 

The rail channels protruding from the edge of the flap are all equal in length and the flap is parallel front and back. 

Clear on this one too.... 

1555572-large

But I think I need to fit mine with less deflected angle as the inner rail channel is nearly hitting the ground . 

IMG_20200202_214823_BURST001_COVER

• Like 3

Tried a few mods while tinkering with the Ventura. 

I had another go fixing the flap on and I think this is a little bit better.

IMG_20200205_002256

There's a sliding back movement and an angle down movement going on with these and I'm not sure of the sequence of action. 

I also decided that I prefer the look of the plane without the de-icing boots. Especially if I was going to do them up around the Verticals. 

So, back to the white on the wings. 

IMG_20200205_002201

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Andwil said:

De-icing boots might be handy over the Andes in winter 

Yes, I was changing my mind each way on that. 

In the end.... not having a precise aircraft to refer to in this case.... it came down to a personal preference. The Tailplane and fins were going to look a bit busy with all that going on, so I opted for the clean and simple look to enjoy the lines and shape of the plane. 

• Like 1

I'd say the PV1 Lockheed is about done. 

A delivery flight to La Paz Airport to join the team. 

IMG_20200206_193955

IMG_20200206_194049

IMG_20200206_194110

So, a quick stock-take of the Lockheed Twins build marathon so far.... 

IMG_20200206_194749

IMG_20200206_194826

There's a few flaps and so on to finish off but I'm getting there. 

The Lodestar.... This one.... 

IMG_20200206_195000

..... has the door hung, and 1 more P&W cowling to sort. I'm holding off on the decor for this one until I get, or make, some genuine options for a finish. 

For P&W engined airframes there's some Australian, New Zealand and Canadian types. Also South African, but the one that I fancy is East African Airways 

IMG_20200130_191925

Or.........

ml590101

NWALockheed14proto

Check out the flap action on that Super Electra!! 

• Like 4